service pack

Discussion in 'General Software' started by redsierra, Mar 24, 2011.

1. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

hi, reference service pack 1,2,3 for xp and service pack 1 for win7: do these load directly into the system when downloading or can one save these to folder or cd for later installation.
    thanks for your help.

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I can't remember for win xp but it is USUALLY done straight via windows update...

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

All SP versions allow you to update via Windows Update or downloaded version. I always download the full version for "offline" installation.

4. k44k

k44k Newbie

You can download SP1 & install offline at your convenience.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, you can also slipstream the updates into the original installation files and burn the product into a CD so you can install the fully-updated version right away.

6. redsierra

redsierra Newbie

SP Updates

Thanks alot guys for the info.

A question to Dr. A. Wong: What do you mean by slipstream.
    I never heard of that term before. Thanks.

7. JTech

JTech Newbie

Slipstream is where you integrate a service pack, patches or drivers into an OS disc image. This allows you to install the operating system with the current service pack without having to do the update after you do the installation.

I do this with Office, XP, Vista and soon Windows 7. Google nlite, that's the application I use.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup, basically you update the installation files and write them to a new CD so that whenever you install it in the future, the installation will be fully updated.

9. JTech

JTech Newbie

Microsoft actually has these available for most versions of the operating systems if you have a MSDN subscription which many companies do. You can download the ISO's with the SP already integrated.