set-up wi-fi/non-wi-fi home network

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by luqman, Jan 6, 2006.

1. luqman

luqman Newbie

ok don't know if this is the right place but!

i have a problem, i want to set up a netwok connection between my laptop and my desktop so that the laptop could use the printer. but the problem is that my desktop uses RJ-45 connector and my laptop uses bluetooth wi-fi connection
    so i'm trying to get a home network between the two is that possible? :eh: i mean after all they use the same Modem :think: i tryied once setting up a linux home network but it didn't work so now am wondering how to enable that network plz tell me if u know :wicked:

that will be all :wave:

2. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

give your modem a fixed ip (10.0.0.2) and subnet mask (255.255.255.0). both your laptop (10.0.0.4) and desktop (10.0.0.3) need a fixed ip in the same range and subnet mask as well. gateway for the systems to point to the modem. viola!

now if your printer is hooked up to your desktop, your laptop can share it as well.

3. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

doesn't matter whether it's RJ45 or WiFi connected.

you can even set your router to enable DHCP services.

then make sure your computers are configured with Windows Network Setup wizard to make them join the same workgroup.

then enable File / Printer sharing.

then go to your printer, right click and choose the option (try finding it, it's easy) to enable sharing on the network.

the other non-connected machines may need the printer driver.

1 person likes this.
  4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

golly, i forgot about the workgroup and printer sharing part.. :oops:

5. luqman

luqman Newbie

k i'll see wat i can do :wicked:

6. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Eh? BT Wi-Fi?

It would appear that both your printers are on the same network, and I assume, the same subnet. There are two easy ways to share your printer on your network:
    1. Simply share the printer
    2. (if your printer allows this) Get a print server and share it through that. This is of course a more ideal situation if possible.

Shouldn't you know this already having A+ certification???

1 person likes this.
  7. luqman

luqman Newbie

lazy lazy lazy

yes but i tend to forget plus i was looking for an easier way to share printer besides doing all that work :mrgreen: *sigh* no option but to do that! :shifty:

8. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

ok guys, enough spamming. please don't post if you have nothing constructive to add.

1 person likes this.
  9. prasys

prasys Newbie

Its possible , it does not matter , aslong they are in the same subnet. Then its possible. If they are not , you need to find a way to bridge it. On the other hand , if you got some money to burn , then I would suggest you getting Apple Airport Express , because you could stream music from your computer to your Hi-Fi, Print Server and of course it could serve as an extender to your WiFi Network