Should I install Windows 7 in 32bit or 64bit?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by karhoe, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ariyamusafir

ariyamusafir Newbie

what do you mean by uac.... how do you disable it?

2. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

user access control, it's that annoying thing that seeks your approval each time you launch a new executable or trying to change system settings.

Go to control panel, user accounts, and disable it (UAC will prompt you asking if you want to remove it LOL)

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, User Access Control. Either you hate it or you love it. Most people hate it. :haha:

Since you are annoyed by it, just disable it.

4. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, honestly, I think that its annoying when we have to install dozens of apps after after a fresh install, but for day to day use, it should be left there.

How often do we install applications on a day to day basis

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

After using Unix, now I truly understand why the UAC is there in the first place. :mrgreen: I left it on.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

After installing 64bit on my uncle's HTPC, I noticed I got one hardware on device manager gave that exclamation mark saying that the hardware could not be started because of an error.

Then I realized the card reader on the casing does not work. I wonder if they are related.

7. Adrian Wong

Yes, that is probably it. You need a driver for the card reader.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

But where am I supposed to even get it? Where can you even find a card reader which comes with a driver LOL.

9. Adrian Wong

Find out what controller the card reader is using. Check online and see if the manufacturer has released a 64-bit driver for it. If it's part of the case, then check with the case manufacturer.

10. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yes, it's part of case

Erm, if it's Cooler Master, surely there will be no issue, but this is some china brand , some so called XQBOX HTPC 200

11. Adrian Wong

See if you can get a look of the controller chip. That will help you find the proper driver.

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmm. try extracting the go to device manager, see if you can grab the Hardware ID

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I tried, because it showed "hardware could not be started", when I opened device manager, pointed to hardware ID, nothing showed up, just blank.

@Adrian, ya I will try to check that out, just that it's attached to the casing, a little hard to do that

14. Adrian Wong

That's the problem we get buying components from unknown companies that do not provide support. :wall:

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Well, it's an internal card reader, I believe ALL internal card readers in the market are generic ones. The only branded one I have come across is Apacer, and since Apacer do not manufacture card readers, I believe theirs could be OEM products, just putting their brand on it

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Guys, btw. Anyone here using RTM? Windows SideShow is missing in this version right?

17. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Have it here..installing ASAP. will verify with you soon.

18. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Thanks, this is so frustrating, if I still could not get SideShow running by later tonight, I'll have to revert back to Vista 32bit

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Just finish setting up..can't find window sideshow o_O...or maybe we dunno where to find it xD..still not used to their control panel >_<

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  20. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

you guys use what version? 7600.16385?