Simple and cheap fan filter

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by Mac Daddy, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Well since installing this Coolermaster RC690 case I have noted the top and front dust filters for the fans and they work well. I have also noticed that the side panel that allows 2 additional case fans has no filter at all. In fact it allows a lot of dust into the case so I made this simple mod (pic1). This isn’t brain surgery its simple and cheap thought I would post it up.

Tools:
    Phillips Screwdriver
    Glue gun
    Exacto Knife

Supplies:
    Screen or mesh (I used black screen door screen)

Remove the side panel and side case fans (pic2). Clean the side panel and case fans.

On the backside of the side panel lay out the screen or mesh and cut to size with the exacto knife. Making sure the screen or mesh is tight and taunt put it place and seal it in with the glue gun (pic3).

Before remounting the case fan(s) pick out the mounting holes needed and cut them in an X pattern this will keep the screen or mesh taunt and from binding on the screws for the fan. Remount the fans I chose only to remount 1 of them. The top one I noted was too close to my CPU cooler (pic4)and I needed that Coolermaster fan for a review anyway lol.

That’s all (pic5) :D

Attached Files:

2. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

How effective is the mesh at catching dust tho? I say paper towel ftw :D

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Or put a few layers of the mesh. :think:

4. Mac Daddy

Actually was thinking of adding something like speaker grille clothe behind the mesh but not really sure how quickly cloth will deteriorate. I left the top panel for about 2 weeks to see how much dust the mesh that came with the case caught and seems just that works well. So will see :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

• fans.jpg
      fans.jpg
      File size:
      595.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I heard that pantyhose is another good, cheap material to use.

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, nylon pantyhose should work great. :thumb:

I think paper towels are too resistant to airflow to work well. :think:

7. Mac Daddy

Is the pantyhose edible .... oops sorry wrong forum :mrgreen:

Cheers guys on the feedback but the mesh actually is working quite well will keep ya posted :thumb:

8. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

im gonna use this

[​IMG]

its from baking equipment where i usually see my mom shake flour into bowl :haha:

the gap are very small thus its very restrictive id say but im more care to keep the dust out for my top panel fan

9. Mac Daddy

Keep us posted Bro :D

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Looks like it should work. Hopefully the threads don't start coming off too quickly :)

11. I have found that a dryer fabric sotner sheet cut to size works very well . When dirty just toss and replace.

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

your PC is gonna have a real nice smell :thumb:

13. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

lulz
    I should try that :thumb:

14. LOL ...yeah I suppose it would but used ones work just fine :p Also the foam ones are the best as they don't inhibit air-flow as much and stay in place better.

15. Mac Daddy

Interesting and thanks for the feedback I guess if it gets bounced around in a dryer heat and the elements won't deteriorate it much :D

16. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

will keep you guys posted once i get my stacker finish modded :doh:

another i read is 3M aircond filter thing..but very expensive

17. Mac Daddy

Cool keep us posted :D

18. bslee

bslee Newbie

Hey, there's alternative air con or kitchen hood filter sheets that may be put to some use. I'm thinking about it for my next upgrade PC, although I'm not going to change my casing which is currently CM Wavemaster, bought few years ago to suffice at least 3-4 upgrade paths.

19. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

bro why dident you try with other stuff

20. Mac Daddy

The screen is working quite well here :thumb: