sony PCG-GR370 Bios Lockout

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by whanr8, Feb 20, 2010.

1. whanr8

whanr8 Newbie

Ok so heres the dillema. I have an old sony PCG-GR370. I am locked out of the bios because the administrator before me set a pw on it. I have tried removing the keyboard and unplugging the jumpers that are connected to the battery. The battery is soldered onto the mobo so physically removing it doesn't sound wise. When I started the comp after removing the jumpers for 24 hrs it stated that CMOS was reset to factory default but it is still asking me for the f'ing pw. I am out of ideas.

Sony wont help without a receipt but honestly who has a receipt from 2000?

I cant run any CMOS killing software as as soon as the comptuer boots it requests a pw so I wont be able to get it to boot from a cd drive.

Any Input or ideas that i havent thought of would be excellent.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Well, Empire23 might be able to help... but from what I see, it "might" be possible to use a resistor to drain the soldered CMOS battery.

However, I don't think it will "erase" the password because it would normally be stored in the EEPROM / NVRAM which are non-volatile... :think:

Why can't you ask the previous administrator what password he/she used? :think:

BTW, since you have access to the motherboard, try looking for any jumper with labels like PWD, PASS, PASSWRD, etc.

You should also try removing the hard disk drive before restarting (after clearing the BIOS). Apparently, some Sony VAIO notebooks store the password on a small hidden partition.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010