Star Wars Vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by hyper_raider, Nov 5, 2004.

1. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

both are boring :silenced: :wave: :shifty:

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Hmmmn I enjoy both actually, but I guess i'm more towards trekie...
    :p

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Told ya! :haha:

4. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

vulcan death pinch!!!

5. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I didn't manage to catch much of Final Conflict but a few episodes of it also assured me that I would love it very much.

Babylon 5 is another 'space universe' that I like very much as well.

6. lung

lung Just Started

All Star Trek fans out there...
    "Never underestimate the power of the DARK SIDE" :p

7. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

I love both!

Star Wars is like fantasy in a Galaxy Far Far Away... ehehe

Star Trek because I hope to see us living that way in the future... only seen TNG and Voyager and a little bit of Enterprise

desperatly needing $$$ to buy the DVDs for both star trek and star wars. wanna get episodes 1-6 in limited edition box set... hahahah yeah thats soooo gonna kick rear!

8. wodenus

wodenus Banned

In some ways, we _are_ living that way. For instance, doors that open automatically when someone steps near it -- we have that now. Small wireless phones -- we have that now. Whatever they call the device they use to communicate with other ships -- we have that now too.. it's called videoconferencing :)

9. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Ya, my IT lecturer gave some examples of inventions that came about as a result of the technology in sci-fi movies. Can't remember what they are now... :wall:

But I'm still waiting for a real lightsaber :haha:

10. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

hey antimatter is what powers the USS enterprise...

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ooh.. Yeah.. Babylon 5's good too! :thumb:

12. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Yes, i cant wait fort a real lightsaber... *sigh*

I just wish I had the Force.

13. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

star trek :snooty: :snooty: :snooty:

14. wodenus

wodenus Banned

Not sure how that would work.. generally speaking, SW is more based on flash than substance. Stuff there will probably be unworkable for quite some time :)

15. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

wah. us army use lightsaber to fight insurgence in iraq. must be cool. haha :thumb:

16. wodenus

wodenus Banned

People _do_ have the force.. in a limited sort of way. It's what tells you that someone is staring at you, and what stops you from walking into an open manhole :) Other people have other aspects of the force -- it's sometimes called charisma or animal magnetism. :)

Some people can apparently read minds, move objects by force of will etc.

17. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

That's leaning more towards telekinesis and telepathy (Jean Grey and Professor X come to mind :mrgreen: ). Would be really cool but probably impossible.

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I doubt that scientists will actually be able to develop a lightsaber that looks and functions the way it does in the Star Wars movies. The way I see it, it's either you have something solid that glows with light (but hence cannot be retracted when not in use), or something that is made up of light and/or energy only but you won't be able to use it to fight because it's not solid. :think:

18. wodenus

wodenus Banned

It could be some sort of luminous chemical. Pushing the button would cause a pump to shoot it out like water from a fountain. When the cutoff mechanism is triggered, it'll just behave like a fountain that's turned off slowly.. it'd get lower and lower and then disappear.

19. We all had a lightsaber once when i was a kid.... *nostalgic look on face*

Someone stuffed (orange) crayons into the thing and they got stuck inside and it got seriously messed up. :haha: :haha: :haha:

20. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Hehe, i can read moods, minds, tell what someone's thinking. Just ask fallen86angel ;)

I cant make my parents hand over their credit cards though.....:think:

Not yet ;)