Streamyx is slow again!

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Chai, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Which site?

2. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

abit's website and asus..slow loading of images..so far everything is fine -.-

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Sometimes it's the DNS servers. Try changing them and see if it gets better.

4. aKho

aKho beat around the bush

last two days streamyx became wonky here in Kuching for me. i'm on a 1MB line and usually getting 80K/sec from direct downloads. suddenly everything drop to 7-10K/sec. :think:

megaupload and rapidshare also went down the drain somehow. torrents no need mention la..as usual. so i tried using a proxy and bamf! speed go up...almost to normal. :think:

anyone hear anything lately from tmnet? maybe they doing upgrading or some line broken again? i don't like using proxy, not stable la... :faint:

the ip i can get is 60, 118, 124 range...usually 60 works great for me. now all three got problem.

5. Chai

I missed the days of 219.93 range...

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. They could be trying to throttle downloads, now that many people are moving to MegaUpload and RapidShare to beat bandwidth shaping... :think:

7. Chai

Looks let they are shaping all the sites! :faint:

8. aKho

i even called the streamyx hotline, they resetted my port twice but i can't get near my top speeds anymore.

me -> streamyx -> anything not local = slow!
    me -> streamyx -> proxy -> p2p/mega rapid/torrents = fast! omg...

looks like just have to depend on proxies from now on.. :faint:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  9. Chai

What proxy are you using? :O

10. aKho

trying out stuff like hotspot shield, proxyway, hidemyip etc.. :think:

actually thinking about subscribing for a vpn service which seems to be the best solution right now. calculate it would cost less than rm50 per month just to have my traffic encrypted and bypass tmnet's shaping.

i heard Xunlei aka Thunder, the china software can bypass torrent shaping although i haven't tried it yet. also, sites like SecureIX provides free vpn services (although i can't seem to sign up for an account atm).

currently surfing for some free alternatives. :whistle:

11. Chai

No wonder Xunlei can be fast... Must really try.

12. aKho

let me know if it works, i seldom download torrents so haven't gotten around to test it yet.