streamyx sucks

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Brian, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

LOL! Then must be the stupid telekom technician 'cucuk' in to the wrong hole. :haha: :haha: :haha:

P/S: cucuk is Malay for err... :think: stick into. :shifty:

2. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

cucuk is 'plug into' lah.. :mrgreen:

3. ekok

ekok Newbie

YUP, i agree that TMnet sucks... and their ADSL service also not stable one, sometimes it's FAST but sometimes it's DAMN slow~! i got 1 fren who moved to a new home... jus a few blocks away from his old place. He asked TMnet to transfer the ADSL line to his new home. Guess wat? TMnet told him tat there are no ports available for him, and ask him to wait... come to think of it... it's almost 3 months liao... *sigh* :snooty:

4. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

:wave: :cry: damn streamyx. using 56kbps right now. UWEA!

5. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

hmmm... i've been using Streamyx for quite some time..
    no complains watsoever..
    onli broke down one day for 1-2hrs.. otherwise, it's blazing fast! :thumb:

if whoever thinks it sucks so much, dont use lah.. use back ur dial-up :p

6. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

streamyx not too bad sometime :)

it is the customer service sucks :mad:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Well, no choice, because TMNet dominates the whole M'sia, and their dial-up is so expensive.

Isn't it ridiculous? Dial-up is more expensive than broadband... :think:

8. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

yeah.. because the costs of maintainin dialup service is still high here..
    other countries, dialup is offered as a flat rate.. but here, nope :wall:

hmm.. even though sometimes streamyx is not good, i dun think its wise to bad-mouth it if u ARE using it..

9. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

dailup is a 'emergency' connection in msia when streamyx down :mrgreen: :shhh:

10. marc

marc Team Tech ARP

now my Zoltrix modem is on standby.
    fon line is also connected to it.
    if streamyx is gettin cranky, then i'll just turn on the modem and load up my shortcut for dial-up :thumb:

11. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

we need to have both ADSL and dial-up ready anytime in msia :mrgreen:

:haha: :haha:

12. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Older Streamyx subscribers will generally have a better connection, so says the technician I spoke to. That's because TMNet started off using Lucent ports. Really good ones as far as ADSL ports go, so I'm told.

But as I mentioned earlier, TMNet has started shifting to cheaper and poorer quality ports. Therefore, we can only expect poorer, not better service in the future.

Streamyx is definitely superb when compared to dialup. No question about that. But TMNet did not go into Streamyx because they wanted to. Given a choice, I think TMNet and Telekom would prefer to restrict us to dialup. They make the most money via dialup services.

Unfortunately, with AFTA and WTO forcing the government to open the doors to competition from the outside, TMNet has to launch a pre-emptive strike. Hence, the launch of Streamyx.

We currently think Streamyx is great. But is it really great? Is this as good as it gets? The truth is, none of us know that because there has been virtually no competition against Streamyx!

Streamyx with its poor service record is analogous to a pile of hot excrement. But the lack of viable competition makes that pile of excrement look as good as durian. It stinks but you love it anyway. :haha:

13. athlonxp

athlonxp Newbie

wat is lucent port? :think:

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Lucent is a brand for networking gears.

15. Brian

Brian Newbie

i've used time broadband before and it's much much much better imo......too bad in kiara only :wall: :wall: :wall:

16. Brian

Brian Newbie

lol, i don't knwo....but the girl at the counter typed the number a few times and it still said can't..... :nuts:

17. Cereberus

Cereberus Newbie

You all must remember that streamyx adsl broadband is WAY better than 56k. My internet billing when i used 56k dial up cost a way lot more than 100 ringgit a month, it's totaly worth it for me.

the problem is, how does our Malaysian adsl broadband efficiency compare to other countries ? Are they getting a better deal than us ? Hell yeah they are those sobs.

Here's one example:

Netherlands is just getting better and better

2 mbit downstream , 1 mbit upstream = 32 $ ( 121.6 myr )
    3 mbit downstream , 2 mbit upstream = 42 $ ( 159.6 myr )

*currency converted using http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

So.... expecting everybody is moving to The Netherlands :p

Compare that to my Malaysian Tm Net StreamYx Adsl internet broadband package. downstream 128kbps, upstream 512kbps . All for the price of 26 us dollars monthly, you can be a sucker too >_<;

Here's an article about Australian broadband:

and here's somebodys comment on why their australian broadband is suffering:

Now try and apply some of that to our situation now. You can get a rough idea whats happening here
    :doh:

18. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

How about other Asian countries? :D

19. Adrian Wong

Hmm... Luckily we are not in Australia, I guess! :mrgreen:

Our situation is a bit different, I think. Cause we have close neighbours to compare with. If Don is here, I would be interested to know how the broadband situation is like in Indonesia.

But down in Singapore, they have been getting cable broadband for a long time now. If Singapore can do it, why not us? Okay, cable is not actually feasible for Malaysia but I'm referring to our international links and service reliability. If Singapore can provide superb connectivity to the rest of the world, why can't we?

I think competition is the key. Government monopolies like TMNet and Telekom are inefficient and unprofessional. They need a kick in the butt.

20. Adrian Wong

Oooh... I just remembered something from my conversations with my friendly TMNet technician. Heh...

According to him, during the early days of Streamyx, Telekom technicians will personally install and verify the connection at each subscriber's place. I cannot vouch for this but that's what he told me.

However, soon after that, a directive came down from the government - installation of Streamyx was to be handed over to external contractors. I'm sure you are familiar with those "contractors"! :wall:

These contractors apparently had LITTLE or NO training and did nothing more than deliver the ADSL modems to the subscribers and hook it up. In many cases, they just dumped the ADSL modem at the subscriber's house without even bothering to install it.

For that, they earn the incredibly high installation fee of RM 125 (USD 33). That's almost TWO month's worth of Streamyx subscription fees! :shock:

And because of their poor training, the technical team has to cope with a much higher rate of connection failures, improper installation, etc... Unfortunately, despite calls by the technical team for more technicians to be recruited, TMNet has apparently decided they could not afford any more technical staff.

So, there you have it...

With such highly unethical and improper policies, it's really no wonder why we are still cursing Telekom Malaysia and TMNet. If our new Prime Minister wants to target corrupt and inefficient organizations, maybe he should set his eyes on Terrorkom and its mini-me, TMNet. Right after he cleans up the police force, of course! :mrgreen: :thumb: