Suggestion for best device?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by stanley-foo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. stanley-foo

stanley-foo Newbie

Hello,

I'm currently planning to buy a new HP.
    But I have no idea which to go for.

Currently I only have this 3 device in my mind
    1. Apple iPhone 3GS
    2. HTC Diamond 2
    3. Samsung Omnia

Kindly hope I could get suggestion from all you guys here
    Thanks in advance

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I got Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 recently. It really depends what you are looking for. But judging by your choices, I doubt you know these phones.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

It depends, Iphone 3GS is more like an 'entertainment' device whereas Windows Mobile devices are more like a productitivity device, with alot of power tools.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

It really depends on what you want out of your phone. Multimedia entertainment? Basic telephony and messaging services? PDA functionality?

5. Chai

I've been using Windows Mobile as entertainment device. Internet browsing usually.

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I'm getting a Touch Pro2 as soon as the price drops a tad (or if my wallet gets a bit fatter - whichever first LOL!).

7. Chai

Touch Pro 2 is quite big, and expensive! I don't know whether it's worth it or not, since the processor is quite slow.

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

The processor is almost the same as TP, and should be alright. Big sceren is sweet to use for GPS but at the same time drains battery faster

9. Chai

Which is slow... I have one which uses the same processor. I know. :mrgreen:

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

for you case, it has to be the iphone 3gs. no brainer.
    plenty of fun games and useful apps! and you get to the option to extend your warranty.

unless you know what you want (which you would have gotten it already btw), the iphone 3gs will meet mainstream needs way better than any WM phones. Omnia and Diamond2, try to be cool, but too bad they use resistive touch. can't blame the manufacturers, as it's a WM limitation. still, a cool/entertainment/flagship phone that uses resistive touch + SKINNING (by skinning i mean non-native interface) is teh dumb. might as well just go with the touch pro2.

seriously, although i don't think they will be overtaken anytime soon, we need more innovation from MS and especially NOKIA in the mobile space.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. Chai

I love resistive touch screen. I feel that capacitive is not accurate. Then again, I'm biased. :p

I love having the option of using both fingers and stylus. Might sound very 90s, but there are things that can't be done with capacitive screen, like it or not.

Whether you call it skinning or not, I think it doesn't really matter. All GUIs are some sort of skinning, from Windows 3.1 to MacOS. What iPhone excel in is the responsiveness, undeniable.

I've played with iPhone 3G, very cool device, but I would still choose WM phone, since I just bought an Xperia few months ago. :p I love underdogs. :haha:

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

skinning tends to give sluggish response. no doubt resistive is accurate, but for day to day use, capacitive is more comfortable. WM needs an interface redesign. shrinking a >10inch interface design into a 3-inch screen doesn't work. hit on X to kill an app, this path belongs to desktop/notebook. and that scroll bar, jeez, it requires more concentration than cracking a nut. Symbian, oh dear what the heck is nokia doing these days?

i never though the iphone is a cool devide. it's a shame that it can't multitask. quit IM just because I need to check my mail, read my sms. good job apple.
    and i have to charge it everyday! thats how bad its bat life is. but still, its usability is enough to get me hooked on it.

13. Chai

Skinning will definitely make things sluggish. Just look at Vista for example. Or even TouchFlo 2D and 3D, big difference in responsiveness. Being a WM device, there's a lot of choices for skinning.

That's why WM phones cannot be dpad less or buttonless like iPhone, which is a valid point. But that X button is also the key feature of WM, allows you to multitask, which makes things slower unfortunately. HTC or Samsung should stop immitating iPhone because it can never be like iPhone with WM.

About scroll bar, I hardly use it anymore since I can just finger flick it. But when you need to use it, yeah, it's a real pain.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about battery life, mine can last 3 days easily, and could live through the 4th day. And size is becoming a big concern to me. When I switched from TyTNII, I noticed how big and clumpsy it was.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  14. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I AGREE MAN !!

I love the days of Htc Tytn II, then, thanks to iPhone, HTC has been reducing EVERYTHING in the phone.

I would love more buttons, it gives a more professional look, a more serious device.

As for capacitive screen, I love it as it's so sensitive, but the drawback is that we can't use stylus, I don't know, perhaps one can invent some stylus which draws some little electrical charge from the stylus bay, hence the stylus can be used to poke on the capacitive screen for a period of time, after that, being put in the stylus bay, it will recharge again.

I would also love to see things like Jogdial making a come back. I don't mind if it results in a device with smaller screen, something the size of Touch Pro 2 would be nice. Smaller screen (as long as its VGA) reduces battery consumption

15. Chai

There are so many hardware buttons on TyTN 2, so many options to scroll the screen, there's even a jog dial for scrolling if you want.

I was really struggling to find a updated WM phone today with sufficient buttons. Each has its own drawbacks.

First gen Touch Diamond/Pro still has dpad, but it's not so good. 2nd gen Touch Diamond2/Pro2 doesn't even have dpad. Even if they cost below 2k, I won't even consider it. Touch Pro 2 is crazily big, can't even fit in my jeans pocket.

Samsung series are definitely out, since there's no hardware QWERTY.

I bought Xperia because it's the only current WM phone with WVGA screen, hardware QWERTY, dpad, and reasonably fast processor (but still slow compare to iPhone). It has one of the worst dpad I've ever used, but at least it's still there. It has a very small WVGA screen, but it keeps the dimension small, and still has 1500mah battery. Since it's a SE phone, the price of the phone has dropped by 50% since it was launched.

And since Zuephok mentioned about the small X button, if there's sufficient hardware button, it's always possible to assign a hardware key to that function, which I have.

16. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

First gen Touch Pro comes with a dpad? I thought it's just a round button on touch sensitive area.

Haha, Touch Pro 2 seems sweet for me, big palm, big phone, hopefully not big enough snatch thieves lol (anti theft software via GPS might help here)

I would love TyTn II, but the issues on Qualcomm 3d drivers really made me think again. TyTn II even has an external GPS antenna, it's really a true PDA, unlike what we have nowadays.

Btw, I think we can use AE Button Plus to reassign ANY hardware keys

17. Adrian Wong

I hear there's going to be a newer version of the iPhone 3GS early next year.

BTW, are reports of the iPhone 3GS overheating true?

18. Chai

Not like there's many games to take advantage of. I was more concerned about normal video acceleration. But I hardly use it to play video.

When you only have like 3 - 4 buttons, even AE Button Plus is not going to help you create more buttons. :mrgreen:

19. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Yes, it's so true, read it on slashdot few days after its release, the back of the phone which is in pure white floss finish, can heat to the extend that it glows pink, that's the extend of the overheating

[​IMG]

20. Adrian Wong

LOL! I read about it too. I thought it was restricted to the first few batches or so. I didn't think Apple would allow something so severe to affect the iPhone. I wonder if this will result in a recall... :think: