Tablet review ?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by mikegas, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Hey Gang, should be about time there are some tablet review on this site or benchmark even.... I was loan a acer aconia a500 to test, did not know what to do with it as it benchmark it .. any clues?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Good point.. How to benchmark it? I'm not familiar with Android tablets... :(

3. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

There are benchmark software and points but don't know which is standard....

4. Adrian Wong

Benchmarking it is one thing. You can basically use them all, whatever is available. However, you need to compare the results with other Android devices. Otherwise, kinda hard to derive any useful performance comparison.

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There are certain things that you can benchmark, especially on browser performance, across different platform. You can pay a visit to many hardware sites for benchmarking tools. But I think the actual usage is far more important IMO.

I'm probably the only one still stuck on legacy devices, so I have not even owned a tablet. In fact, I have not even purchased a laptop before! :haha:

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

IMO benchmarking phones / tablets is meaningless. first, nokia is retiring its Symbian platform, and blackberry didn't get the memo. Give the latter another 2-3 quarters and they will be totally irrelevant to us. So, this really leaves you with 5000 android tablets that run on the same hardware platform and ISA. It's like comparing a GA GF 570 and a Leadtek GF 570.

Instead of benchmarking, focus should be on the software quality, usability, and features.

7. Chai

Yup, exactly like what I thought too. I wouldn't bother with benchmarking.

8. Adrian Wong

IMHO, it's nice to know that one tablet is faster than the other tablet by x percent. However, what matters most is the design and functionality.

It's like the iPad 2 vs. the iPad. Sure, the iPad 2 is faster, but if you don't compare them side by side, you will not have known the difference.

This is partially due to the fact that developers want their software to run well on as many devices as possible. So continuing with the iPad context, even if the iPad 2 is faster, as a developer, I would make sure that my games will also run seamlessly in the original iPad. So, the iPad 2's improved performance will have a negligible effect in real life.

BTW, what impressed me most about the iPad 2 over the iPad is not the speed. I honestly hardly noticed it. It was the slimmer form factor and the lighter weight. That said, I was not impressed enough to "upgrade" to the iPad 2. All the new software and games I installed in the iPad runs well, so ultimately, what's the point of upgrading?

Coming back to topic, the nerd in me will always love to know which tablet is faster than which tablet. But I'm not going to buy a tablet just because it's faster. Speed matters, but not as much as other factors when it comes to tablets.

9. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Okie dokie .. waiting for my samsung tab ... tomolo ..

10. Adrian Wong

LICH... :mrgreen:

PS. You need to wait for the Samsung Galaxy Tab??

11. Chai

Loan or purchase? :wicked:

12. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

purchase...using it now.. Swype is cool..

13. Chai

Swype on such a big screen... Never tried that before. I may consider getting one, if I were to go on a long haul flight! :haha:

14. Adrian Wong

Never tried Swype on such a large screen. How was it?

But I love Swype on a smartphone. Took bad the iPhone doesn't have Swype.... :(

15. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

you can shrink the keyboards ... Lol. I use it mainly to play cartoon for long trip for my son.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  16. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

Hmmm...can't seem to do file attachment with tab..

17. Chai

File attachment to where?

18. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

to here la..... Wanted to show a screen shot

19. Adrian Wong

Oh, what happens when you try to upload the screenshot?

20. mikegas

mikegas Newbie

It's said