Terrible experience with installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Chai, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I had a very tough time installing Windows 7. It is by far the toughest OS I've ever installed. I have installed all kinds of OSes from Windows 3.1 to Windows Server 2003 to OpenSUSE.

By right, Windows 7 should be a piece of cake, very few user interaction needed during installation, all Windows default drivers worked right out of the box. At least that's what most users should experience.

But for me, I had a horrid time with the installation. After numerous tries, I got a black screen after completing the installation. I have tried all sorts of methods. Booting into safe mode, enable VGA mode, unplug all USB devices etc. I've searched google for solutions. None of them works.

And finally, by chance, I managed to boot into Windows. After doing some changes, I rebooted again, and I get black screen again after the "Starting Windows" splash screen. Thankfully I have 2 monitors, and all I need to do swap the monitor, and no more black screen problem. I have 2 monitors, Dell 2001FP and BenQ G2400W. Dell was the cause.

After installing Catalyst, the problem disappeared. So who shall I blame? Microsoft? ATI? Dell? Since this is an isolated problem, and no one had this problem, I have no idea who to blame. But it seems like the default ATI drivers that came with Windows 7 is causing this problem.

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: All three of them.

I forgot which Windows, my screen will be blank after logging in (not all the time), and my wifi keeps dropping and the wifi light turns off (have to restart).

3. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

I had same problems with Ati (4670) card so the default drivers are crap. But with Nvidia (GTX260) worked without a problem. That was my case on 2 systems with build 7100.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

Chai, same boat la me and you.

It's been more than 12 hrs since i started placing the Windows 7 DVD to my system and it doesn't install........YET!

ok la. well in the afternoon it shows WINDOWS LOADING, then the starting thing, then left me at a blank screen with a cursor. WTH!?!?

i went out for the evening, still no luck. did a little search, then thought about USB matters. so ok la unplug my Gigabyte Odin GT USB component............. an voila! it's installing.

then the % stopped at 23. the .... thing was still moving. WTH!??! At least la tell me formatting or what but it doesn't. sheesh, i thought reset la.

After reset, guess what? LOL. worse, the DVD loaded but stop at the windows animation. WTH!?!? k. bad. so loaded my Vista, deleted all partitions of the disk and all .............. stupid right?

I mean Windows 7 should be able to do that mah, but it doesn't. sheesh. end up loaded Vista. what a joke.

Just now i switch back to the rig...........WTH!?!? P55-GD65 boot up screen? but phew, luckily it was part of Windows installation process.

Now it shows "Starting Windows" and I hope I do get to see something.

5. zy

Why windows 7 hate you all so much :haha:

I didn't have any problem installing it. Went smoothly.

But I guess my components are much older :p

6. goldfries

donno la. now initializing and such.

let's see if i face such issues with my drivers. only need to install GC driver. :)

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit on i5-750 with 8GB RAM. After settling the USB part and the drive partition part.

now i use full 250GB instead of my earlier partition of 50GB / 200GB which somehow it doesn't seem to move.

7. Chai

Why can't they stop including default drivers, and let us install after finishing the Windows 7 installation? I think that's the biggest problem most of us here are facing.

I know GC drivers are quite problematic.

8. zy

I use default driver :p

9. Chai

Printer, network drivers are usually fine, which I've been using since Windows 2000. But graphics card, sound card are more sensitive and I don't like the idea of having default drivers for those 2, and most tech savvy people will know that it needs updating anyway. (That's the problem, W7 is supposed to be more "user friendly" than ever...)

10. zy

:p I used to update drivers very often :mrgreen: but I got lazy updating graphic driver.

The current problem I am having now is printer driver :nuts: Other pc's (vista 32bit) can't find the correct driver the printer on windows 7 64-bit pc. :nuts:

11. goldfries

shit man, my installation was fine but Win 7 went bongkers again.

aihhh. i also donno what happen. after some failed OCing, and change to a smaller / lighter GC (nv to ati) then now it's screwed. just refuses to boot.

WTH now no drives found. ciaklat liao..........

12. Chai

That's because you don't game anymore. :p I still have trouble with some graphics card drivers.

13. zy

I still do :cool: But only very few games :angel:

14. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

Everything seems to work here though =/...Except sometimes Deluge tends to go crazy by refusing to launch :wall:

15. Chai

im probably one of the few people who doesn't like win7 that much. It's really identical to Vista.

What's so bad about Vista?

16. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

nothing's wrong with vista. in fact, one of the best. performance and stability was bad at launch, due to immature driver support. but that happened to XP as well. one SP later, it's been rock solid. all in all, kena destroyed by so-called "tech" press who think they know more than the creator of the OS. this is why i dislike bloggers. no credibility, no responsibility, just plain public Kow Peh.

have been using Win7 for a week. overall, Vista feels smoother, but that's because it's been polished thoroughly for two years. I really like the new taskbar on Win7. Win explorer seems to be able to handle large folders much better and faster, and the new layout in explorer gives me a "lighter" feel. but they have also taken away some nice touches. say, if you switch from details view to large icons, you lose the top column (anyway to get it back?), so I can't sort files as fast as I could on Vista. whether it resumes from sleep faster than vista really boil down to your definition of "resuming from sleep". Do you stop your stop watch the moment you see the GUI, or you would wait until the PC hit the 100% usable stage? in my case, I go with the latter.

Vista allows me to fully operate the system within 5 secs after displaying the login screen. On Win7, showing the login screen takes about the same, but after I got in, I have to wait for another ~15seconds, waiting for the OS to sort of wake everything else up (the network, the applications..etc).

both are about the same i reckon, but win7 has some good GUI designs that improves usability.

lastly, image-based deployment rocks!♦♠ heart imagex!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  17. Chai

A slightly different experience for me.

It feels smooth most of the time, except for some slight hiccup at times while browsing windows explorer. I don't really like the task bar, as it groups all the similar apps in 1 box, quite annoying, although it's a much improved version of XP's group taskbar. I always disable it because it's much faster for me to click on the exact app without additional click, but for Win7, there's no way to disable it anymore.

18. goldfries

i'm back to Vista.

despite the many complaints from others, it's actually my fav Windows OS so far and I thought it's a good one.

19. zy

:eh: You can set it to normal with names and not combined. :eh:

20. Chai

Oh...I forgot the IE is now tab browsing... oops, my mistake.