The ARP Bokeh Thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by atwl77, Jan 31, 2013.

1. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Ok, my turn to try and get this forum rolling again.

Share your BOKEH here!
    All bokeh welcome. Jittery bokeh, funky bokeh, swirly bokeh, bokehliciously smooth bokeh -- as long as it's not photochopped bokeh. :thumb:

I'll start:

Zeiss 50/2 Planar:
    [​IMG]

CV 75/1.8 Heliar:
    [​IMG]

2. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Those are some awesome shot using two awesome lenses!

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Taken back in 2007...lol...but it's bokeh nonetheless...

80-200 f2.8

Attached Files:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Awesome shots! Now, let me go dig up my mediocre bokeh shots. LOL!

5. peaz

Very old shot. Bokeh nonetheless. :)

Attached Files:

6. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Voiglander 58mm @ 1.8

DSC_4819.jpg

7. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Some more bokeh from today, all taken with Canon 100L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

For those who think that you can only get bokeh from DSLRs, CSCs or large sensor compact with fast lenses, here's mobile phone bokeh for ya!

Nokia Pureview 808:
    [​IMG]

9. Adrian Wong

10. Adrian Wong

That is impressive for a phone!

11. peaz

But the sensor size is actually pretty large too 1/1.2", relatively speaking that is vs the size of the lens. Still, it's still bigger than most compact cameras. And with a f2.4 wide aperture, the combination is actually pretty good for bokeh.

Nevertheless, still very good results!

12. Adrian Wong

From what I understand, that's the reason for the bokeh.

13. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

It's still an 8mm f/2.4 lens, and the only way to coerce shallow DOF from it is to shoot at near-minimum focusing distances.

On a side note, shallow DOF and bokeh are different things, with bokeh being the quality of the out-of-focus areas. Of course, in general one often needs shallow DOF in order to get good bokeh.

The PureView's bokeh is pretty good for such a tiny lens -- smooth in most areas, visibly round highlights though has a hint of onion rings to it. A bit nervous at some high contrast edges, where you can see a hint of double-image... but in general still quite good for a mobile phone.

It's hard to find good bokeh these days... the Canon 50L and 100L are notable exceptions. A lot of lens designs these days put too a lot of emphasis on sharpness by correcting for (or over-correcting) residual spherical abberations, this often leads to nervous background bokeh. Even modern Zeiss designs don't have as smooth bokeh compared to their older, "classic" designs.

14. peaz

15. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

On a rough estimate, about 20cm... which is not much.

The Sigma is sweet, I tested it at Key Color in Mid Valley couple of weeks back. Very sharp across the frame. Noticeably heavy though, heavier than the 35L and you can feel the difference in weight.

16. Chai

I have a Sigma 50mm 1.4 around, but never got a chance to use it...

17. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

After a long CNY break hiatus, I have returned with moar bokeh... :nuts:

The Zeiss 50/2 Planar again... very modern rendering, that often results in very busy and nervous bokeh especially when it comes to foliage and/or highlights:
    [​IMG]

The Canon 50L, a beautiful bokeh monster:
    [​IMG]

And these last two are from the CV 75/1.8 Heliar Classic. I am really loving the classic rendering style of this lens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. peaz

What's the street price back in KL for the Sigma 35mm 1.4? Shashinki selling it for RM2,988.00 now... Seriously thinking of reviving my use of the D300. It's been sitting idle for far too long already.

19. atwl77

atwl77 Just Started

Been quite a while, I don't remember the exact price but was quoted somewhere in the 28xx range for the Canon mount version.

20. Chai

Wow...I only paid for RM1.3-1.4k for Sigma 50 1.4 in HK.