The best laptop?

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by stanley-foo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

The best? woah, thats hard to determine for now..used Acer before, service center good and quite fast :D....HP, crappy technicians, gives you stupid reasons,took them 1 month plus to have the dvdrom and HDD replaced and then having issue to send it to me,really a hassle for me >_>...Asus,heh..maybe it's me..i had my unit RMA few times with the first 3 times just to solve the casing issue...so technically..i think Dell is better? thats what i notice with their service. Haven try yet (thinking of getting Dell stuff soon :haha: )

2. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

they are Next Business Day warranty :D they will come to you house :p more like sent authorized technicians to your house.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Dell rox0r!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

4. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

I shall get Dell's pda then :>

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Dell still has a PDA??? I thought they discontinued the Axim years ago? :think:

6. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Just Started

I thought they released one with android?

7. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I believe nothing special on the outlook. Seems all the PDA phone today are basically having big tourch sensitive and fingerprint managtic screen, with minimum 2/3 buttons (call/end) infront. :shock:

Inside is either WM, Android, Linux or some in-house OS. All must come with widget. :eh: Then, must able to download and update from internet.

All follow the footstep of Apple.

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, which is really sad. That is exactly what I DO NOT like to have on my phones.

9. lee_what2004

any idea for all rounder 15'' notebook RM 2-3k? cheaper the better.
    Going to lowyat next tuesday to find a notebook for my friend.

10. Adrian Wong

What does he intend to use it for?

And as importantly, can he wait? :D

Cause if he can wait, then best buy it during PC Fair. You can get really good deals on notebooks during PC Fair.

11. lee_what2004

I guess can't wait. It's a bit hard even to find some time to go to lowyat and currently the hp dv3040 he has is failing, hdd failed couple months ago, the screen is flickering and yesterday, just got BSOD, and can't enter windows, but then somehow can enter again.

Well, the notebook will be used for all-purpose, current core duo 1.6Ghz and gma 950 still adequate.
    Mostly will be used in 3d rendering and game flight simulator.

currently aiming Asus K50ab at rm1999, but options are always welcomed.

When is next PC Fair?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  12. Adrian Wong

ASUS is a good choice, but make sure he tests the keyboard. Some of their notebooks have VERY crappy keyboards.

I think if that's the case, it would be best for him to scout around Low Yat Plaza for the best deal in town.

Personally, I think any Core 2 Duo processor will do. Aim for at least 2 GB of RAM though. If he wants 4 GB, insist that the notebook's 2 GB of RAM is a single piece. Then he can just install another 2 GB which should cost about RM 80.

13. lee_what2004

well, any laptop nowadays also outperform mine and his notebook :wall:
    just wanted to pick the right one this time :D

14. zy

dell-certified technician came yesterday:p
    he said he nvr seen my laptop before.
    that either means very few ppl have it or, it doesnt give problems..

anyway, he took out my ehatsink and it was clogged with dust. that explains the overheating symptoms for the pas few months :p

15. lee_what2004

m1210?

16. zy

yup :) changed my motherboard because my wifi switch was too sensetive/screwed it will on/off randomly in off position.. :p

to get the motherboard out, basically you have to rip the whole laptop apart.. lol

1. remove the bottom RAM & Wifi & bluetooth & hard disk & optical
    2. remove the keyboard & top RAM
    3. remove the LCD
    4. remove the armrest (top plastic covers)
    6. remove heatsink
    7. transfer CPU to new mobo.
    8. remove fan
    9. remove sata controller, express card slot & hard disk cage
    10. left the motherboard & bottom casing.. :faint:

17. lee_what2004

lol
    I also need to open everything just to reach my fan :lol:

isn't m1210 famous with the gpu problem?

18. zy

what GPU problem? i wasnt aware of:p my old motherboard has not died yet even after reaching 100C, the new motherboard GPU better not die on me..

19. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's normal. I see notebooks being opened up completely everyday... :haha:

20. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

IMo, i think no point waiting for PC fair :D...i got mine after PC fair and still get the same freebies like in PC fair XD...ooh K40AB or KB50AB seems to be a good choice..or your friend can actually get either MSI or Gigabyte notebooks :3..for that budget, let me get some price list and inform you XD