The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. TEB

TEB Newbie

What would happen if i flashed it with the hynix memory sapphire 9800 xt bios image and by chance i didnt have hynix memory?

Would it gimme a bunch of trash? or would it still operate?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

TEB, if you read some of the posts in this thread, you will know what happens if you flash the card with the wrong BIOS, especially if the BIOS was meant for different memory chips. ;)

It most definitely will NOT operate correctly.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You will get screen distortion even at POST screen if you flash the wrong BIOS.

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

LoL! :haha: I guess I was really blur back then :wall: need to get more sleep

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Usually you would see screen disortion or your PC won't boot at all :mrgreen:

6. TEB

TEB Newbie

Well heres the comparison benchmarks in 3dmark03
    Sapphire radeon 9800 pro

Default clocks: (380/338)
    4x antialiasing
    1024x768

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3486/beforeoc3803384wf.jpg

9800 xt clocks (412/365)
    4x antialiasing
    1024x768

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2017/afteroc4123656rh.jpg

As you can see by the data, about a 230 3dmark increase from default clocks.

Default Clocks (380/338)
    1024x768
    4x antialiasing

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/3497/3dmark05beforeoc3803380rq.jpg

9800 xt clocks (412/365)
    1024x768
    4x antialiasing

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/1818/3dmark05afteroc4123658fg.jpg
    Increase of about 140 3dmarks from default clocks.

Well, from all the benchmarks, with AA on, it seems theres not much of an increase in performace....but if you turn AA off
    Theres an increase of up to 300-500 3dmarks in both programs.

I think ill just stay with the clocks of an xt theres no real benefit of flashing anyway.

7. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Nope during the time when the 9800 series was on top if anyone asked about they should buy a 9800Pro and 9800XT the 9800Pro would be the way to go since the $100-$200 difference isn't worth it as teh XT is just the PRO verison with higher clocks. I would say just overclock it to XT speeds. It shouldn't be so hard.

8. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Exactly :mrgreen: Unless you want to unlock the temperature monitoring or overdrive of your card or you want higher 3DMark scores. Otherwise there is not much reason for you to flash your card to XT, sometimes it is just not worth the trouble at all :lol:

9. TEB

TEB Newbie

So there is a temperature monitoring chip on my card? Because running ati tool and a number of others, they say no temperature chip detected. Is this because the bios on the unflashed card is telling them not to find one or because there just isnt one?

Sapphire radeon 9800 pro, (128 megabyte) Im sure theres not.

10. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

He said IF there's a temperature sensor, NOT that you've got one on your card. ;) ^^

11. cisco kid

cisco kid Newbie

Guys I am looking for your help I am stumped.

I have a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128ddr Atlantis, with R360 core Hynix 2.8 DDR and it is on Pro pcb. The number on the card is 109-A07500-00 so I see it is not XT paw. The card can run 440/355 solid and has an Arctic Silencer 1 rev 2 on it as well as ramsinks.

My card is identical to the second card in this link
    http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=0

I have downloaded flashrom 2.27 and v 2.40 as well as atiflash. I was able to backup my original bios using flashrom. I downloaded the club3d bios for the card and shortened the file name to club3d.bin. I then created a bootable floppy and copied flashrom files and the club3d.bin file to the floppy and rebooted.

Here is exactly what I am typing in at a prompt
    flashrom -f -p 0 club3d.bin

It starts doing its thing and then all of a sudden I get:

Serial rom
    club3d.bin File open error
    Error 0FL01: press 1 to continue

I am getting the same error no matter what bios I try, or I get "File 9800xt.bin not found

I have tried using whats below and same issue no success
    flashrom -p 0 a:\9800xt.bin -f

I have disabled fastwrites in the bios as well as removing the driver from system and I have tried flashing with the omega 5.7 driver loaded. This card should flash to an XT bios and the only thing I should be missing is the overdrive function cause it is not on XT paw.

What is going on can anyone suggest anything, I have not tried winflash but I can not see why it would be any better over atiflash or flashrom.

Hoping I can solve this or I give up and will settle with just overclocking it.

Cisco Kid

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  12. I had a similar problem last week when I flashed mine.

You can check our posts in:
    Adrian's Rojak Pot Forums > Hardware Discussion > Overclocking, Cooling & Modding > Help with 9800 pro, plz read

I found that I had to type the name of the filename on all caps. :mrgreen:

Try that and tell me if it works. :thumb:

13. cisco kid

cisco kid Newbie

nope that was not it, I just searched for winflash and it allowed me to flash to the gecube bios. So I have clock speed of 400/351, core can do 440 but mem is topped out at 357 theoretically but it is showing as a 9800XT 128. now I just need to figure out how you monitor temps. Can you point me in direction for that, thanks for replying!!! WooT

14. No problemo. :thumb:

The 9800pro that I was able to get was fortunately an actual XT so it had the thermal diode in it. But after I had flashed it, the overdrive tab didn't show up.

Bestia(ry) reminded me to re-install the drivers. That finally got it to work. Though in your card, I'm not exactly sure if you have the thermal diode. :?: But re-install your software none the less.

You can stick a thermal probe in it if that suits your fancy. :mrgreen:

15. cisco kid

cisco kid Newbie

yeah I see that the reg pro can not enable the temp function so we will have to do without. What type of scores have you pulled in 3D03. I just ran it at 498/350 and got 6482 with my X2 3800 runnning at stock 2.0, my next try will be at 430/355 at stock and then a 435/355 at 2.4ghz. I am happy the card will have to tie me over for a while. I had actually just sold my sealed new X800XT PE agp cardand a 6800nu due to some unexpected bills.

So I will use the 9800 pro for a few months then get something else, prolly a X800 Pro but this is still a decent card.

Take it easy!!

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think I've already mentioned in the article that you NEED XT Board to get the temp monitoring. There is no thermal diode on R360.

Maybe your diskette is corrupted.

17. Majormaggot

Majormaggot Newbie

does anyone know at what temp the chip frys at?? i stuck a temp sensor between the hs and chip and it reads 47C(no load) / 51C(load) at pro settings and 50C(no load) / 56C(load) with the xt bios. btw i'm using the stock hsf and two 80mm fan aroun it to cool. haven't the time to look for a proper hsf combo.

18. cisco kid

cisco kid Newbie

nope nothing to do with diskette, soon as I used ATI Winflash all was good currently running 435/355 solid scoring just shy of 7K in 03 now with an X2 3800 at 2.2

I think I am gonna look for a rev 2 9800 Pro 256 and buy one for other system and flash it to XT and have overdrive and temp sensor. Yewah I know a 6600GT is faster but I like the extra ram for higher res and graphics, plus I like the 9800 XT cards, they can still play games that are new at 1280x1024 with med detail. This is coming from a uy having just sold his X800XT PE and 6800nu :dance:

19. Yeah, I'm also curious about that too. :)

I play BF2 at 1280x1024 and high settings. It's still pretty decent. :) 9800 series rules!!! :thumb:

20. got2xlr8

got2xlr8 Newbie

PROBLEM!

ok, ive not been here in some time, so i hope the thread is still active, i did the mod some months ago, (march) and it has run dandy ever since, at a nice cool 55*C idle, or around 60*C 100%, and everything was good until tonight, when i loaded up condition zero, and it just snapped. it felt like a power loss, or like a drop in to suspend mode, i recieved no warning no errors on reboot, and it boots to windows fine.

however, run any app that uses 3d and either instantly or some miniutes in (3-5 or so) again drop to black screen, system looks like its in suspend mode. i have a cheep 400W powersupply that came with my case, ive had it for about 2 years now, could it be that i am running the rails dry? the only other device on the power chain that feeds my 9800 is a SATA Barrucuda, any thoughts would be great, im currently testing an old TI4600 to see if its a driver issue, hardware problem or a power problem of them i dont know, ive kept the system cool, (processor idles at 35, case is usualy 30, and card was around 55). other than that im for a loss.