The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Woah.. If you can't pinpoint the RAM brand and speed rating, it's best you don't flash the card.

You CAN try flashing it but you should have a spare PCI card so that you can reflash them if you guessed wrongly. If you don't have a spare PCI card, seriously, don't try it. :mrgreen:

2. I agree with Adrian. I'm curious, though. Is the power connector on the PCB a molex or is it like the floppy disk type?

3. Circastes

Circastes Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll have to go track down a PCI card then. I've flashed the wrong BIOS for my system before you see, and just reverted it on the spot, so that's the source of any overconfidence/ignorance you might detect. :)

The power connector is a molex.

The RAM is coming up as 256bit DDR RAM in tweaking apps, as expected, so it's not some derivative of the DDR2 R350. Clocks are the standard 9800 Pro speeds: 380, 660.

4. Yeah, you might have a 360 core in your hands.

I was just wondering about the molex. About a month ago I checked on ebay for some 9800 pro's and most of which that I saw were different 9800pro's. Just wanted to make sure if you got the same one's.

Anyway, we're glad to help!!! :thumb:

5. Circastes

Circastes Newbie

Well I got around to taking the heatsink off and checking the core markings, and it's an R350. :(

As a side note, I didn't reapply any thermal paste when I chucked the heatsink back on because it looked as though there was too much already, but I was quite wrong - I opened Doom3 and the title screen was going completely mad with artifacts. I don't think any damage was done, but just a heads up to anyone removing their heatsink to check the markings: always reapply the thermal paste.

6. Adrian Wong

Ahhh.. Sorry to hear that.

Yeah, you should definitely reapply the thermal paste if you remove the cooler. :mrgreen:

7. SNL

SNL Newbie

9800 Pro R.I.P...

Hi guys! :wave:

My Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro has died on me i guess.... :mad: I flashed using this awesome guide a while ago. My card didn't liked the XT speeds so i used the Club3d XT bios and put back the speeds at Pro rate with radedit. Everything worked fine for 6 months or more. I put on an Arctic Silencer and Zalman ram sinks (taking care of my baby :wicked: ) Untill last week my system didnt want to boot anymore (out of the blue).....it hangs on startup... I tried the card in another pc and also a no-go.. :doh: Booting up with an PCI card (with 9800 pro also in system) was impossible.....so no flashing back to original :wall:

I have few questions left before burrying my Radeon:

1) Have i tried everything or is there another way left flashing back the card?

2) Can i take the risk sending it back to Sapphire for repair? (it's obvious they will find out about the bios and say :naughty: sir..)

Many thanks in advance.... Greets SNL

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Just send it back... you have nothing to lose. :D

9. Adrian Wong

Nah, I don't think they will take the time to actually inspect the BIOS. It will probably slip by them. :mrgreen:

BTW, why can't you boot up with the PCI card? You just need to make sure your system boots up using the PCI card, not the AGP card.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

The card is probably completely dead, like my old Radeon 9500. I couldn't do anything to the BIOS, like the card does not exist...

11. Circastes

Circastes Newbie

Send it into RMA and tell them your PC was stolen by intrepid computer enthusiasts seeking the most from their hardware, and when it eventually turned up, you discovered the monsters had attempted to flash your card to a 9800XT.

12. mullah omah

mullah omah Newbie

sapphire 9800 pro 256 ultimate??

I have a Sapphire radeon atlantis 9800 pro 256 ultimate :pray: that looks exactly like the one below but with a HUGE heat sink. Does any one now have a 256 xt BIOS for this card? Has anyone tried the xt bios for the normal version? It is running at 378/324 but have got it up to 435/384 with ati without probs (so far).
    Cheers

Attached Files:

• 256.jpg
      256.jpg
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views: