The Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook Review

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Adrian Wong, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Notebooks have always traded performance and features for portability. The key is in the balance. Can they create a notebook that is fast and feature-packed and yet portable?

Well, the answer might be the new Toshiba Satellite M30 notebook. Centrino-powered and NVIDIA-fueled, this notebook boasts a plethora of amazing features. But is the M30 the perfect notebook?

There is only one way to find out. Come check our review of the Toshiba Satellite M30 notebook!

[​IMG]

Link : The Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook Review!

2. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Woot! Way to go Adrian, the notebook looks nice. :thumb:

3. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

waaaaaa......nice notebook u buy...... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i tot toshiba notebooks alll over rm8000.....very expensive....... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ......dis one looks realli good......acer got notebook like dis......but dun have good speakers....come with normal touchpad....256mb ram onli....now waitin 4 ur update......wan 2 know if the nvidia chip fast or not..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    edit.....very good notebook review!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

4. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Toshiba's notebook is usually more expensive than other brands.......Nice review :thumb:

5. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

coz made in japan?????? :think: :think: :think: :think: mebbe.......coz all the japanese notebooks very expensive........ :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

6. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

made in japan???i can bet u tat most of the parts are made in taiwan or something...u onlie buying the name...

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

hmmm .. but it seems like its getting cheaper .. compared to few years back

8. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

izzit?????.......i tot japanese notebooks all make in japan????? :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: .......dats wat the salesman said......... :think: :think: :think: :think:

9. sumurai

sumurai Newbie

Nice screen! love the hi resolution! I'll make sure my next notebook is at least that size and resolution :pray:

10. Adrian Wong

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :mrgreen:

Actually, Toshiba notebooks are made in the Philippines. I think I mentioned this in the review. :mrgreen:

But the build quality is excellent. Nothing slipshod about this notebook! :thumb:

If I am not wrong, the only notebooks made in Japan are the Sony and Fujitsu notebooks.

11. TungstenBoy

TungstenBoy Newbie

made in philippines..........waaaaa.....why so expensive then??????? :think: :think: :think:

12. jonnywonder

jonnywonder Newbie

Great review!

Awesome review of the m30...any idea when the update with benchmark results will be up? I'm looking to buy a laptop and there are some great rebates on the m35-s359 (same as m30 but w/ 512 MB ram and a 60 GB HD) but they expire at the end of the week so I have to act soon! Thanks for the great unbiased info, this is the best site for in-depth reviews i've found! :thumb:

13. Adrian Wong

Hmm... It isn't really that expensive. :think:

I got the M30 for RM 6,650 (USD 1750) with a free 256MB memory upgrade and RM 200 (USD 52) worth of Jaya Jusco vouchers. So, the notebook actually costs only RM 6,450 (USD 1698) with that free memory upgrade.

If you compare that with what you can expect to pay for a Sony or Fujitsu notebook, that's cheap!

You can get a similar model from Acer for slightly more - the Acer Aspire 2001. It comes with a multi-card reader and an ATi Radeon 9200 with 64MB of RAM as well as a DVD writer! :thumb:

However, the Acer model does seem to have a poorer build. Also, the Acer model is a no-frills design. Don't expect to find harman/kardon speakers or a Synaptics touch pad.

But it would be very nice if I could also review it. :mrgreen:

14. Adrian Wong

Re: Great review!

Hello jonnywonder,

Thanks for your very kind comments. :)

Please check the 3rd party dealers for the M35. I remember there is at least one dealer who can switch the slow hard disk for a faster one of your choice. If I am not wrong, the 60GB hard disk that Toshiba ships in the M35 is the same Hitachi 4200 rpm model.

I've been benchmarking the last few days. I have a couple of tests to run and then I will compile the results and post them up. Will try to get them done ASAP. :mrgreen:

15. goodl

goodl Newbie

M30 Rivatuner overclocking results

I have this model laptop and tried installed Rivatuner to see if I could get any better performance. The GPU won't overclock much at all without major heat issues, resulting in lockups (10% is about as much as you're gonna see) . NVstrap sidebanding can be enabled but also causes lockups also. It's underclocked for a reason and I better get over it :naughty: Truth be told in actual usage you cant really 'feel' any performace benefit overclocked. I wish I could have afforded the Dell Inspiron with a 9600 :mad: Plus side, It's very light, screen is fab and in every other aspect it's great, but latest games forget it without major graphical sacrifices to get decent fps.

16. Adrian Wong

Re: M30 Rivatuner overclocking results

Hello goodl,

That's funny. I got Rivatuner to overclock the Go5200 GPU by quite a large margin. I also got AGP sidebanding to work using NVStrap. No lock-ups so far.

I have already benchmarked all the different "optimizations" and will write on the results soon.

Incidentally, I just posted the updated review of the Satellite M30 notebook with notes on its thermal output and performance. Will be posting the news.

17. Adrian Wong

Hello everyone! :wave:

I just posted Revision 2.0 of the Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook Review!

[​IMG]

Here are the updates in this new revision :-

- Added a new page of performance reports.
    - Updated the touch pad section with temperature results.
    - Updated the cooler section with temperature results.
    - Updated the hard disk section with benchmark results and analysis.
    - Updated the WiFi card section with temperature results.

Check out the updates here - The Toshiba Satellite M30 Notebook Review!

18. goodl

goodl Newbie

what game did you test with?

I used Knights of the old republic, could you try it with that?

19. Adrian Wong

I ran the same benchmarks as I did in the review.

3DMark, Aquamark3, Unreal Tournament... None of them had any problem with overclocking or AGP sidebanding.

20. jonnywonder

jonnywonder Newbie

Overclocking, Rivatuner, etc.

I'm curious to learn more about overclocking the GPU and enabling AGP sidebanding on the Nvidia card that comes with the M30. I know a little about overclocking, like using the Rivatuner program, but are there any serious problems that might occur to damage my computer? Also, what are good tests for system stability? Finally, I really don't know much about AGP sidebanding, will somehow enabling this really improve GPU performance? If my questions are out of place in this board, I'd appreciate it if you could recommend links to learn more about overclocking. I'm pretty new at this (I've had a hopelessly old computer for a long time) so I really appreciate any help you can give me. I'm not a heavy duty gamer, but I'm hoping to be able to run Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on the M35 that I'm buying. Thanks!

-jonathan :think: