The Zalman ZM80D-HP Heatpipe Cooler Review!

Discussion in 'News' started by Adrian Wong, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Is your latest, top-of-the-line graphics card literally hot and smokin’? Well, heat will do no good to any electronic component so what you need is a cooler to keep temperatures down!

Today, Chai will introduce you to the Zalman ZM80D-HP heatpipe cooler! Designed to cool that hot new graphics card’s temperature without blowing your ear drums, this is one cooler you must check out. Read on to find out how cool it can get!

[​IMG]

Link : The Zalman ZM80D-HP Heatpipe Cooler Review!

2. PikaPichu

PikaPichu Newbie

I wonder how this one compares to the VGA Silencer?

3. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

If it is running in passive mode, then the VGA silencer is better :mrgreen:
    It should outperform the VGA silencer easily if you have the ZM-OP1 or better fan blowing at it :mrgreen:

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I don't think that's true... :think:

5. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

The ZM-OP1 does not do much anyway :( 12v or 5v, they suck :mrgreen:

except you try some 50+CFM on it ;) then you will see BIG differences :mrgreen:

6. Chai

Actually I'm blowing about 70+CFM on it. Doesn't make much difference with the ZM OP1.

Arctic VGA Silencer is better than ZM80C, but ZM80D closes up the gap. But I don't have proof to back that up. Unless I get to a Silencer... :wicked:

7. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Mine runs cooler with the 50CFM fan..... :roll: i don't have any temperature measurement devices :p I touched the heatsink, it's cooler with the 50CFM fan :mrgreen:

8. cadaveca

cadaveca Newbie

i have the zm80d-hp installed on my asus9800pro 256...been about a week.
    i used a thermaltake thunderblade fan instead of the zalman fan..same cfm, but quieter due to it's larger profile.
    dropped 10c from stock settings...overclocked my card to 405/365 with max temps after running the ati "ruby" demo for an hour, my card never even reached the idle temps of the stock cooler. Zalman has done a great job! I did a review a week ago on this...
    i used artic silver instead of the supplied paste as well, as 2 tubes were so empty when i opened them i could not get any paste out.
    pictures are of MY install

Attached Files:

9. PikaPichu

PikaPichu Newbie

The fan blows the air away from the heatsink right? If so, would the side panel of the case put a damper on its cooling potential?

Chai, try asking Arctic Cooling for a review sample. Their new ATI Silencers are almost out and I'm sure they'll want sites to spread the word about how good they are. :mrgreen:

10. Chai

LOL! I will see what I can do. ;)

11. cadaveca

cadaveca Newbie

i take my side panel off(and i am not using the zalman fan), temps do not change, however, i have 2 side fans, one of which overlaps the heatsink fan. with my current setup, tho, room temp severely affects temps..1 increase degree outside is 1 degree inside the case. before having the heatsink, this was not the case. my fan also blows ON the heatsink

12. gtampako

gtampako Newbie

I have a VGA with FX5900XT (leadtek winfast a350xt tdh).
    Does anyone knows if i can install ZM80D-HP or ZM80C-HP with the ZM-OP1;
    If yes, which one is better;

Thanks.

13. Chai

Obviously the one with active cooling (fan)! ;)

14. DjVirus

DjVirus Newbie

i've moded my 9800 pro to XT and normal temperature is 64 to 65 degrees, after playing games it goes up to 70. i have zalman ZM80D-HP and ZM-OP1

is that normal????? :roll: :?

15. Chai

Yup, that's normal. :mrgreen: Please note that my temperature test was done with a separate external sensor, so you can't compare. ;)

16. kloh

kloh Newbie

I have been playing around with my own heatsink design for a while now, as for heat pipes you want to make sure that where the heating is going on is as seperated as can be from where cooling is going on.

if i can tell from pictures it looks like they are cooling both ends of the heatpipe?

17. Chai

Yup, both heatsinks are cooled. Heatpipe serves as a heat conductive tube here.

18. Elkdad

Elkdad Newbie

I have a ZM80C-HP that I will trade you if you really want to test it. Personally, I am a little disappointed with it's performance. I have two monitors hooked up to a Radeon 9800 Pro, so I suppose it is getting a little hotter even with the fan (OP1). Nevertheless, I am considering putting the stock fan back on until the Thermaltake arrives.

19. zachig

zachig Newbie

If you're looking for a quite passive cooling, without any overclocking,the Zalman ZM80D-HP should be enough.

Although i've experienced pretty heavy overclocking results with the ZM80B-HP installed on my old Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro, with pretty cool temperatures (I used as well a 92mm fan to blow on the card).

But, if you have a mid (6600GT) or above (6800 and up) video card and you want to overclock it without toasting it, i think the Zalman VF700-Cu is a much better choise.

Another GREAT performer (according to recent reviews) is the new THERMALTIGHT V1 for video cards.

Have a look here:
    http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_v1-01.html

20. Elkdad

Elkdad Newbie

Nah, anyways the Schooner should still work if I update my video card/motherboard (Radeon 9800 Pro/Athlon XP) someday.