thinking of 9600xt 256 anything better???

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by toz66, May 5, 2006.

1. toz66

toz66 Newbie

ok guys be gentle first uk poster here.
    firstly let me start by saying the guide is ausome , been looking for something like this for ages.

anyway heres my predicament, currently on an old gforce fx 5200 (been superb ), and now i have around 70 pounds (sorry no idea $ converstion :) ),and i have been heading in the direction of an ATI 9600xt 256 version.

now a few questions i have being as i really dont get much cash to spend on my pc, and i really want to make the right choice, so guys any info on this card or even anything better for the price would be greatly apriciated.not bothered if nvidia or ati is the way to go.

just one final question, though guys for a noob, whats the things to look at when doing a comparison, is it the ram, the clock speed or what...like i say guys bit a of noob so be gentle.

thaks for any info guys.

2. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

First off welcome to ARP :wave:
    There are better graphics card that you can get in that price range; 9600XT is really old tech. There's the Radeon X700 or GeForce 6600, or even the Radeon X1300.

There are actually a lot of variables you have to look at when choosing a graphics card...but actually the amount of RAM and the clock speed are not so important. The more critical factors are (arguably) the architecture of the chip (pixel pipelines, etc.) and the memory bus. You can look up those specs in our graphics comparison guide: http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=0
    It's probably a bit too much to digest now, but there really isn't any simple way of breaking it down... :?

3. toz66

toz66 Newbie

thanks for info,

so you would try for somethig other than the 9600xt then??

ill go check the others you quoted,
    thanks again.

4. toz66

toz66 Newbie

sorry to be a pain you must get loads of these, so its apriciated,

but found this one..... "6600 LE 256mb DDR 128bit DVI TVO AGP"

is that one you mentioned.

and i take it this one is a lot lower end card "XFX 6200 256MB AGP"

just as another final point what do you guys think about ATI and nvidia, is there any differance or are they both good at what they do.

5. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Yeah the 6200 is a somewhat cut-down version of the 6600, and so is the "LE" version.
    Is there a particular online retailer that you are browsing on? A link would make things easier :mrgreen:

6. toz66

toz66 Newbie

like i say also, iam very close to ordering the 9600 xt, in next few days so, any advice really apriciative.if i dont get anyhelp here that is...:p

here are the links to the atis and geforce cards on the site i use....

http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/se...h=&intSubcatUID=670&intPage=1&bolShowAll=true

http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/se...h=&intSubcatUID=710&intPage=1&bolShowAll=true

just a note here......anything on gforce pages is in my price range, and the first 2 pages on the ATI's are just about ok to.

couple more things may be of help to you....

.. iam not a hard core gamer, but the latest i bought tomb raider legend, is just about slowing down now on old faithfull fx5200...and i would also like to dust off some games i havnt had chance to play...half life 2, doom 3....so as i say any card really for the best in price range

edit.....

just a come back here, on the recomenddations above , been checking out the 6600 on ebuyer, and found a couple in my price range....one question.....

if the 3 quoted above are better than the xt9600, what would you guys say is the best out of the above quotes....x1300, geforce 9600, or the x700...

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  7. toz66

toz66 Newbie

guys i know ia m being a proper pain here, but ive just got chance of this on ebay at a craking price.........
    ......"Geforce 6600 256Mb 8x Agp Dvi Tvo"........

.... is this a better card than the 9600xt ATI?? iam thinking of getting??

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Well if it's a good price you should go for it...just exercise the usual caution when buying off ebay and remember that warranty issues may be a little more troublesome than if you bought from a proper store.

9. toz66

toz66 Newbie

lol thanks again m8.

now looking at a 'ATI Radeon 9800SE 256MB DDR AGP 8X", even beter price , but again ebay, and yup i know they can be very up and down, and i may stick with new....

....so are we saying that if it is new, the '6600 LE 256mb DDR 128bit DVI TVO AGP" would be the best to go for given my price range??

10. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Just Started

from the link u give..with ur 70 pound u can get a 66gt but with a little more money..if u dowan a 6600 fits in well

11. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

12. toz66

toz66 Newbie

thanks m8 much ariciated again,

however one last thing before i give it up for now, its driving me mad :D,...

would a "RADEON 9800SE Atlantis Advantage Edition", be better than any of the 3 you have quoted, or not...if not i will go for one of them i think.

13. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Just go with the 6800LE. The 9800SE is pretty old. :p

14. toz66

toz66 Newbie

thanks guys...much apriciated...all ready to order, just waiting for clearence from "she who must be obeyed"...:p :p

15. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL!!! Clearance!! :thumb:

16. toz66

toz66 Newbie

lol well m8 you know how they are when its about pc's,....:D,

btw think iam deffinaty going for the 6800le...so i hope you guys are right, and i wont regret this....i dont get many funds to play with, so iam looking forward to this upgrade,.......

thanks for your help guys...il probably come back to either shout at you all, or praise yu to the heavens...:D

17. toz66

toz66 Newbie

hi again guys......last time i promise :p:p

what it is iam actually ordering today, but ive seen something thats got me thinking......can somebody in the know just take a look at these 2 links and tell me whatsthe differance.....and more importantly which is better....

just as a recap for you before you click the links....

both cards are 6600 LE's, but one is 128ram, and the other is 256, and yet the 256 one is cheaper in price, and i cant think why, so can you guys just take a look for me.......iam guessing the 128 has a bit more under the bonnet, like i say guys help apriciated makig purchasse today.....

thanks guys....

links here.......

128 ram card
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82041

256ram card
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=101737

p.s

are both these cards tweakable with riva tuner??

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  18. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

One is a 6800LE and the other is a 6600LE :p
    Yes the 6800LE is tweakable with RivaTuner; with enough luck you can actually open up more pipelines to increase the performance quite a bit :mrgreen:
    But we can talk about that when you actually get the card ;)

19. toz66

toz66 Newbie

lol lol what a dip iam ...god its early here, i got to get me some coffee....oh and some new glasses......:p thanks.

20. toz66

toz66 Newbie