TMNet to upgrade Streamyx packages!

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Got this from Dashken... :mrgreen:

IMHO, they have to get Streamyx out to MORE users. Like poor Max_87 who has been waiting for his broadband connection for so long!

And I think the 1mbps connection will be a laugh.. I don't think TMNet can really support so many 1mbps lines beyond the main exchange. :think:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Most people are only getting 768kbps now (those who got the free upgrade). I might consider upgrading to 1Mbps since that's more value for money. RM22 for double the speed...hmm...

3. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

I'm exciuted by the idea... but it's dependent on actual throughput. After getting 512, from my previous 384 connection, there was hardly any discernible increase in d/l speeds or actual throughput. So i'm taking all of this with a pinch of salt.

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

tempted as I may be.. i'm also very doubtful the extra RM22 for 512 -> 1MB will be really worth it. Cos I don't always download a lot.

and also... i doubt tmnet can ever be able to maintain 1mbps connection for EVERYONE.. imagine.. 10 lines = 10MBps already 1000 in one area that's 1GBps just for that area alone.. possible??? doubt so

anyways.. i'm also already happy with the '512' upgrade i'm experiencing now... 51KBps downloads now.. hahaha

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

whats the use of the upgrade ... since its not reliable ?

i wan reliable constant connections that can stay atlleast @ 35kb/s & above..

not some bloody 1MB connection where there are times you cant even connect

6. Adrian Wong

Don't forget to read the small print. TMNet will not guarantee the transfer rate.

In the first place, it's based on their "best efforts". Also, it will vary a bit, depending on how far you are from the exchange.

Finally, when it comes to measuring the throughput, they only consider the thoughput of the connection from your ADSL modem to the port at your local exchange. Anything beyond that is a totally different matter.

So, you MAY get a 1mbps connection. But it will probably be limited to TMNet's own network. 1mbps overseas? Highly unlikely... :think:

7. Chai

I can feel the difference going from 384 to 512, since I always monitor the download/upload speed. That's how I found out I got the free upgrade. Since I'm a crazy download/uploader, I should benefit from the speed upgrade. And the speed around my area is very consistent. Wonder if I should upgrade...

8. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

crap full of crap... im supposed to have 384 but im getting sub 200 so it goes to show that 1) you shouldnt always believe what you read and see and 2) maybe dont life in a jungle like me...

9. Chai

Surprisingly, they didn't mention about the upload speed increment, IMO, way more important than downloading speed. 256Kbps has made me a lot more satisfied!

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

im getting 512 now..
    thinking of upgrading to 1mb :)

[​IMG]

11. PlaySafe

PlaySafe Guest

great news, great news....er great news :beer:
    i have no complain at all so far, even my 'gay' Aztech :wall: cant handle the 384 speed with full loads around 39-41kb/s

12. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

I'm getting 390 from this site... http://direct.tm.net.my/xpeedometer/xpeedometer.htm :think:

And I'm on a 66 package. My friend staying at Batu Maung, Penang... is using the 88 package. His speed is even lower than mine. Nearly 300 only. I asked him go complain. :haha:

If TMNet can really maintain 1MB, RM22 is really worth it. But well, I don't think they can... :snooty:

13. Chai

My connection can maintain at 45-50KB/sec 95% of the time. So I believe they can maintain that. :D If I can only persuade my father...I need a job! :wall:

14. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

56K..... :wall: :wall: :(

15. Mad1

Mad1 <b>Old Toad</b>

Go for it...more pr0n for you.. :thumb:

16. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Nope. But I wish they will increase the upload rate. :pray: :pray: :pray:

17. 北方佳人

北方佳人 Newbie

i have the same pro as urs :)
    i can't download long stretches from http/ftp :)

1 person likes this.
  18. PlaySafe

PlaySafe Guest

at last...they have upgraded my 384 to 512, no wonder you guys with 512 to 1mbps!! :thumb:

19. Adrian Wong

I don't think they upgraded my connection yet.. :whistle:

20. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

Perhaps it aint the 1st of November yet Boss. ;)

PERHAPS... :haha: