Top Gear!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Chai, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

Astro will have the programme on after the season is over on BBCWorld and its a half hour abridged version with only the reviews...

good if you want to see the action bad if you wanna see the real deal

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

You are missing way too much watching the BBCWorld version, you are missing out all the funny stuff!

3. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Yep!

4. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

conclusion? get your arse in gear and go download it!!!!

hehehe
    somehow 5th gear isnt as good... but i havent been watching the latest 5th gear episodes.

5. Chai

Well, I still enjoy 5th Gear as a motoring program because they are a lot less baised, and they review cars that we can actually buy! :lol: Of course, they are a lot more serious and I wouldn't expect jokes from them. But they do have some interesting and useful crash test, unlike Top Gear's comedy, playing darts with car, conquer using caravan!

6. Maximus_Detritus

Maximus_Detritus Moderator

18/11 was a very good episode. I liked that yacht, actually ;)

And the Zonda... what a set of wheels... !

When are they going to test the 1-series... :think:...?

Trivia Note : There's a 1-series here in the BMW Kuching Showroom thats attracting quite alot of attention. ! ;) And my mom has been able to secure a test drive for me withint the next three weeks ;)

7. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

1-series sucks 120i being the most poweful? come one thats so un-BMW. i dont need to tell you that they could have come up with a better car... and that X3...

enjoy your test drive! remember to rev the nuts of that car!
    i would destroy the pistons and tuppets before returning it to them...

8. Maximus_Detritus

@ Mahankanjus

for something that size (about that of a Satria), 2.0 litres, and 163 Bhp (diesel), is ALOT. The petrol one develops 150 Bhp.

And the important thing is the driving experience, not just drag-strip prowess. I would vouch for that, with my family's 318Ci convertible, on account of how many times i've let the tail slide out on that one ;) And how nice it is on twisting, winding roads when i take it out of the city limits :D

There's enough space in there (under the bonnet) for a straight six engine. so there are 6 cylinder versions on the way, which is an open secret. And the new M1.... something to rival the S2000 for sheer revs. 2.2 Litres, 250Bhp, 9000+ rpm.

Yes, they could have built better version and they will, easily. (=

Back to Topic : GO d/l this episode ( 18/11). Easily one of the best so far.

9. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

ok your're right im wrong sorry...

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

MD: Generating a 'measely' 150BHP from a 2L engine is not considered ALOT and even if the M1 manages to generate 250BHP from a 2.2L engine (6 Pot), the current S2000 (Year 2K3) is already nearing the mark of 230BHP from a 2L engine. Also, the Toyota Altis is already developing 136BHP for its current 1.8L engine so by ratio comparison, it's NOT as powerful as you think coupled with the fact that the 120i is not aneroxic either as it weighs a hefty 1.3 tons.

11. Maximus_Detritus

Jeremy, the M1 is going to be a 4 cylinder, not a 6 cylinder (= It's the only way it can rev up to 9,000 rpm and still maintain some semblance of durability and driveability. :D

the S2000 actually develops 240 Bhp from 2 litres @ 8000+ Rpm, and it has a wilder set of cams when it blows past 6200 Rpm (VTEC). Before 6200 Rpm, peak power is 'only' 150 Bhp, due to the milder set of camshafts it uses. Until the M1's M Divison 4 cylinder engine officially sees the light of day, I still do consider the S2000's engine as the finest 4 cylinder engine on the planet, bar none.

Considering that the differing briefs to be fulfilled by both cars, with the S2000 being a dedicated sprts car/roadster, and the 1 as a family hatchback/runaround, it is actually quite inappropriate to compare the two. M1 vs S2000 would be a different matter, actually.

Here's how the specific power outputs work out.

Camry, 136Bhp from 1.8 Litres = 75.6 Bhp per litre.
    S2000, 240 Bhp from 2.0 litres = 120 Bhp per litre (with VTEC)
    S2000 without VTEC, 150 Bhp from 2.0 litres = 75 Bhp per litre.
    120i, Petrol, 150Bhp from 2.0 litres = 75 Bhp per litre.
    120d, diesel, 163 Bhp from 2.0 litres = 81.5 bhp per litre.

The real headturner here is, of course, the diesel. My contention was that the M1 would compete with the S2000 on Revs alone. 9000 rpm is no mean feat, especially for a day-to-day engine. I didnt say it would beat the S2000 ;) Having said that, the vanilla 1 series has already been described by Autocar as having the finest steering and handling in its class, handling like 'a smaller, tighter, and more agile version of the BMW 3-series'. More agile then a THREE?? That's why I cant wait for the test drive. :D

The S2000, as tested by the same mag, was considered to have lifeless, poor-feedback steering, and being incredibly twitchy and snappy on the limit. Not that I'm saying the S2000 is a bad car. Honda built it to celebrate 50 years of car-manufacturing. and it IS something special. (=

Incidentally, the S2000 weighs 1250 kgs. The 1 Series.. weighs 1260kgs ;)

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Black Sheep

MD: Agreed! ;)

13. Maximus_Detritus

Damn, all the typing for this! :arp:

Next episode of TG should be out soon, no?

Viper? ;)

14. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Hahahaha...this is a damn funny episode, must watch!!!

Even the stick make mistake hahaha........but to me the most interesting part is where Jeremy visited the Nurburgring - the BIG Nurburgring. :thumb: :thumb:

15. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

Site got owned. Gonna be gone from here for day or two while I sort out my site and have Thanksgiving.

16. Chai

Oh man! That's super CRAP! :shock: How can the host do something like that??? :twisted:

17. mahakanjus

mahakanjus Newbie

yeah was wondering why i got a 404 error

anyway happy thanksgiving viper! im sure you have another stove to cook that turkey?

18. Viper007Bond

Viper007Bond Newbie

:haha: I didn't ruin the stove. Just that one unit. We already replaced it and used it yesterday. ;)

As for my site, they accidentally deleted my account. :nuts: Reuploading as I type this.

19. Maximus_Detritus

that's just plain :nuts: Hope it's alright... It'd suck not to be able to watch TG or FG again without your help, dude ;)

20. Maximus_Detritus

TG's taking a break today, eh? Will have to content myself with watching all the other episodes, or some nice DVD ripps of cars. :thumb: