Travel Friendly Tripod?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ishtim, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

For this year's vacation, I will be taking my camera (and wife) :hug: on some short (1/2 day) hikes with backpack into the snow covered Canadian Rocky Mountains of Alberta. I'll need a tripod that will handle the weight of a 300D & 70-200mm zoom BUT be small enough for carry on airplane and fit on or in a backpack. I don't a fortune to spend and this is not going to be used often (anyone have one I can borrow :D ).

What do you have/recommend? :wave:

2. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Bean bag.:mrgreen:

3. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Carbon fibre tripods are light but not lightweight in price. What's the max weight you would like to limit yourself to?

5. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

The camera/battery body = 645g
    18-55mm = 200g
    70-200m = 1370g

At first the Manfrotto Modo Maxi look good ($80 usd) but only supports 1kg :doh:

I don't mind to spend $100 US if it is something made quality. The old Velbon (don't know the model #) I have is cheap junk, may ok for web cam, etc...

6. Adrian Wong

Generally, Manfrotto tripods are well-made. I'm going to get another one myself soon. The carbon fiber model is sweet but a bit too expensive for me, but if yo ucan afford it, you can give it a try.

The Modo Maxi looks like it has an integrated head. I think it's meant to be paired with a camcorder or a point and shoot camera, instead of a DSLR. You should look at the higher-end models that feature removable ball heads. Then you can select the head that best meets your needs.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Manfrotto is actually one of the 'cheaper' professional tripod.

8. Adrian Wong

Yup! There are even more expensive brands. LOL!

9. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

gitzo .. o.o

10. Ishtim

Ishtim Super Moderator

I have the opportunity to borrow an old SLIK 450G and will have a go at it. If it is not up to the task I will use a bean bag! :cool:

11. ianho

ianho Newbie

Check out the Benro Travel Angel. I almost bought it while in Singapore. Fantastic carbon fiber tripod. Super small n light. Absolutely perfect for travelling.

12. Adrian Wong

Carbon fibre? Must have cost you quite a bit! How much did you pay?

13. ianho

ianho Newbie

Wanted to buy. Didn't buy it coz the shop awner was an A$$.

14. Adrian Wong

Oh, I thought it was more expensive in Singapore so you bought it over here.

What did he do???

15. ianho

ianho Newbie

Fella very LCLY. So my wife say don't let him get my $. :lol:

16. Adrian Wong

LOL!! I know the type. Yeah, don't give him any business! :thumb: