Unsatisfied in the B.O.G. subscription...

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by Draztic, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Draztic

Draztic Newbie

I am sure I will get flamed by techarp forum members, perhaps moderators and possibly even the creator of the Bios Optimization Guide for posting this but oh well.

I have to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the subscription version of the BOG. As a satisfied owner of the "Breaking Through the Bios Barrier" book, I must say I expected more. Much more. My main(but not only) gripe concerning the subscription BOG is the lack of Bios settings found on popular and modern motherboards. In my case the Asus Maximus Formula but I think these bios settings in question are found on just about any top end Asus board's bios.
    The settings in question are: (ACTUALLY I CANNOT LOGIN WITH MY PASSWORD WHICH WORKED ONLY HOURS AGO so you will just have to take my word for it). But I remember that it is definitely missing "AI clock twister" and "Cpu pll Voltage" and I am pretty sure it is missing "Transaction booster", and "Cpu gtl reference" and "North bridge gtl reference" and "DDR channel a and b ref voltage" and possibly "Fsb termination voltage" and "Loadline calibration". I am quite positive it is missing many others too, those listed are just from the extreme tweaker tab alone.

How can you call it "Definitive"? Definitive implies that something is recognized as being the most authoritative and of the highest standard. In fact that is copied directly from a dictionary's definition. Since the BOG is missing just about every bios setting from my bios, that hardly makes it the most authoritative source of information. I also must say that to have omitted settings from a very popular and enthusiast's bios it is not of the highest standard. In fact I have to question what kinds of standards are involved in the updating of the BOG. Obviously not the highest.
    Perhaps you could notify people of what bios settings are included in the subscription version of the BOG to save people(such as myself) from buying it only to find out that the bios settings they are interested in are not provided. I mean would you buy a car without even knowing what options it has or even what it looked like?!

My second complaint(not as serious as the first) is that it is a pain having to stop to think what sub system the bios setting in question falls under. You should have a setting that allows you to just search from one all inclusive alphabetized list. The setting appears to be there but when you click it nothing happens. Perhaps it's broken.

I know it must be a pain to keep the BOG updated, but just pay some lackey to do it or something. I mean we are paying you to use it and what use is it to us if it is incomplete? And since I am making a wish list, how about mentioning how the different settings affect overclocking and some tips on how to set them in an OCing environment?

Sorry if this post seems harsh cause you seem like a good guy Adrian (from what interaction we have had) but I had to give my opinion on the current state of things.

Anyway, that's it. I have vented and feel somewhat better even though I spent good money for nothing. Unless some serious changes and updating take place I definitely will not be subscribing to the BOG again. Truthfully yours, Draztic

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

I am sure Adrian will address your questions and we apologize for your issues with this you have had many as we have seen.

One question I do have for you is that you have been a member here for almost a year why is this such an urgent issue in a matter of days for you? :think:

3. iModAMD

iModAMD Newbie

Well watch out... somes options in the bioses have not the same name... like Cool And Quiet option in an ASUS board and in an Gigabyte are totaly different.If you have somes questions about the boards options... you can post them directly to the forum and we will ask you and maybe to write an article for the BOG ;)

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

5. Draztic

Draztic Newbie

Mac Daddy-
    I had just done an extensive remodeling of my rig, new cpu(e8400) mobo(maximus formula) and 8gigs of pc8500(gskill f2) and wanted to overclock it but was having trouble with the bios settings as I was coming from a dfi lp nf4 board. I managed to track them all down online but it was an extensive search. :wall: I had actually forgotten I was a member here tbh, when my hardware is working correctly I usually have some game or another that I squander my free time allowance on...:naughty: :beer:

iModAMD-
    I know that most companies word the bios settings differently, but I think that a definitive guide should include them all, or at least the ones from the major board makers.:clap: :beer:

zy-
    Well the board has been on the market for probably at least 6 months, but no biggie. I still think that you guys should have a list of what bios settings are included in the subscription BOG so people can decide whether it is worth it to invest or not though.:think: :beer:

Cheers- Draz

note: I tried to make this a multi quote reply but apparently I didn't have 5 posts yet so I had to go this route.

question: Sorry in advance for the noobcake question but where can I edit my signature to show system specs etc? I couldn't find it anywhere in user cp...thx

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Cool on the new system Bro sounds sweet :thumb:

Looks like you got the siggy thing sorted you can use images using the "" tags as well if you have something you would like to add to the text. I would however list your system specs in a straight line if you do so it saves space on posts. Check Cypris and Gen's siggy you will see what I mean ;)

On additions to the guide and suggestions for improvement post them to the thread zy mentioned. Adrian is very busy and at times doesn't have time to check everywhere for feedback.

As I said before await his reply when he gets back he is a very calm and good natured person and sure he will appreciate your feedback and help as he can :D

Cheers :beer:

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Siggy is also disabled to prevent spamming.

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hi Draztic,

Sorry about that. Frankly speaking, I stopped development of the BOG for some time now. You can check the Revision History for the actual date.

The purpose was to create a dedicated site for BIOS Optimization. We even hired a programmer to do that. Unfortunately, after over a year of "development", nothing has come to fruit.

I'm as tired of waiting as you must be. In fact, I've been planning to restart work on the BIOS Optimization Guide without a new home for it. I hope you will be patient in this regard. For certain, I do not intend to abandon the guide as it is.

Regarding your password problem, please try again and let me know if you cannot get in. Do note that it is case-sensitive.

As for the sorting problem, there are actually three ways to sort the BIOS options - by category, by alphabetical order or by date. The options are available at the top of the page. I just tried it out on my end and it works. Do let me know if it doesn't work on your end.

Thanks again for your feedback! :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  9. Draztic

Draztic Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys. Password seems to be working again, also the sorting is working now too. I will try to post the settings from high end asus bios's in that thread when I get a chance/get off my butt. Looking into a watercooling setup atm so maybe tomorrow...:shifty:

Edit: Hey Adrian, is there a way to change my BOG password to something I can remember? At a glance I didn't see the option... Thanks.

Cheers-Draz

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  10. Adrian Wong

Hi Draz,

We have to do it manually, but it should not be a problem. Just PM me what you want your password to be.

11. Draztic

Draztic Newbie

Cool thanks Adrian, ummm, I feel silly asking but how do I pm, I see no option to do that...:oops:

Cheers-Draz

12. generalRage1982hrv

generalRage1982hrv ARP Reviewer

hehehehehehhehehehehhe
    click on name of adrian and it will open small window and click on second line (send privat messega to ...) LOL
    you are funny dude :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

13. Adrian Wong

You can either click on my name and select Send a private message to...

Or you can click on the User CP option at the upper right corner of the screen, and send me a private message there.

14. Draztic

Draztic Newbie

Oh ok thanks guys, I could swear that I never saw the option when I opened Adrian's link before...I must need glasses or something...

Cheers-Draz

15. Adrian Wong

Hehe.. Don't worry about it. We all miss this kind of thing sometimes. :beer: