Unsure about downgrading to AC Adapter with lower wattage.

Discussion in 'Notebooks & Mobile Devices' started by ToyotaFreak, Nov 19, 2014.

1. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Hi there,

Haven't posted here in a very long time, and have a got a question about those notebook AC Adapters.

I'm thinking of switching my laptop's original 'brick-like' ac adapter for a slim one.

Now here's the thing, the original adapter has an output wattage of 150W, while the universal/ aftermarket slim ones I've had a look at in stores here range from 65 to 90W (The sales people weren't sure, so I didn't purchase one.).

Will using one with a lower rating cause damage to the laptop or just not power it up at all?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's a reason why manufacturer's provide a big brick. You are probably using some higher end desktop replacement type of laptops. It is additional cost for manufacturer to overspec an adapter if it is not necessary.

Some laptops may not work properly if you are not using their brick. Some may work fine. You should bring your laptop to the shop if you want to confirm.

It will not blow up anything. Usually it is just stability issue on the laptop, unless the brick is made of cheap quality components.

3. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Stay with that 150 watt adapter. Do you want to risk your laptop?;) Or have an adapter that runs so hot you could fry an egg on it...:lol:

4. ToyotaFreak

ToyotaFreak Just Started

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be staying with the original one just to be on the safe side (Also a great way to build up some muscle I guess! :thumb: )

5. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

Cool.:) Nice to see you back after such a long time.:arp:

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Is it a Dell? Dell used to, or may still, offer a higher-spec'ed power adapter for quicker charging, and a regular, slim charger for road warriors.

Obviously, these notebooks have no problem using a 90W charger as well as the higher-spec 120W charger. Best to find out from the manufacturer, or check the manual.

Otherwise, you should follow Chai's advice and try it out at the store. If your laptop sucks more power than the "brick" can deliver, the battery will drain out even if it's connected to the main.

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Some Dell laptops that comes with 150W, will not change the batteries when using lesser wattage PC.