Upgrading from ATI X800XT, need some advice!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by Willdo, May 10, 2009.

1. Willdo

Willdo Newbie

Hi guys,

I'm running a several-years old Dell XPS, and I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card to help me run games a bit better (Oblivion, GRAW2, Company of Heroes etc). I've currently got a Radeon X800XT (please see the rest of my setup below).

I've done quite a bit of research, but I'm a bit confused by all the options. I was thinking of going for an X1950XTX, but there's all these HD cards out now too. I had assumed they were a direct upgrade from the 1950, but a lot of them seem to be very cheap. Can anyone enlighten me as to what they're about? Also, is it likely that upgrading my card this much will just leave me with bottlenecks in the rest of my system?

Thanks!
    Will

Specs
    ====
    Windows XP 32-bit
    Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz CPU
    Radeon X800 XT 256MB PCI-E Graphics card
    3GB DDR2 RAM

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Hi!

Welcome to TechARP! :wave:

Hmm..

Another thing we would need to know is what is the PSU that came with the XPS rated for?

GPUs tend to suck quite a bit of power at startup and possibly under load. Also does your current graphics card have a 6pin PCIe power connector?

There are some good cards out there for a relative bargain that would be way faster than the graphics you have right now.

Though you may experience some system bottleneck with that CPU you have right now on the more intensive games.

Personally I doubt Oblivion (taking from your list) will be too bad but Company of Heroes might still be a tad bit slower then ideal.

3. Willdo

Willdo Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Looking in the XPS manual, the info I have on PSU is:

===
    460 Watt
    931.2 BUT/hr heat dissipation
    Fixed-voltage power supply - 110V at 50/60Hz
    ===

I believe the X800XT has a 6-pin PCI-E connector, but I'm not 100%.

I'm a student at the moment and it'll be a couple of years or so before I can upgrade to a completely new system and CPU, so essentially I'm trying to get the most performance I can from my system, and it looks like at the moment my graphics card is my weakest point. I'm mostly concerned with running things like Oblivion, The Witcher, CoH, NWN2 at high detail settings, and would like the option of running some new games like Dragon Age Origins at reasonable detail settings.

Will

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think your machine should handle all the newer 4800 series. If you are worried about power consumption, maybe you can consider 4770 or 4830.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yeah, either one of those ATI cards that Chai recommended would suit your needs real well. :D

Or for 20 USD more, you could get the 4850 as well (slight increase in performance - depends on game). The 4770 drives a hard bargain though (up to you to decide if ~20USD is worth the performance or not)

A lot of choices in that range.

6. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The Radeons 4830, 4770, 4850 will really do well in those newer games.

For budget, you can consider the 4670 too. :)

7. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

But 4850 sucks a bit more power imo...either get a 4770 or 4830 should be good enough :D

8. Willdo

Willdo Newbie

Great, thanks very much guys!

I've had a look around for a 4830, and have found a Sapphire 4830 on Play.com for £90.

This is only £10 more than the 4770, which I can manage. Is Sapphire an ok brand for these cards?

Also, I take it the 4830 is gonna perform better than the X1950 XTX? The latter is about £20 more expensive for some reason!

Will

9. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If 4770 is cheaper, then you should get that instead. It should be very similar to 4830, if not faster.

It should be easily faster than X1950 XTX as it's 2 generation old!

10. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Even with 2 cards, X1950XTX still won't beat 4770 :mrgreen:

11. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You should not bother considering the X1950XTX even if it's a LOT cheaper. It's just too outdated to consider if you are looking to play newer games.

1 person likes this.
  12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Agreed! +1 :thumb:

There are a lot of cheap gfx card nowadays that could do more modern gaming.

If one have to dig into the auction stores, the 8800GT, 8800GTX and 8800GTS are good buy if they are cheap enough.

Else, if one wants to have a budget one, the 8800GS (obsolete), new 9600GT, another new Radeon 4670 and even the newer 4770 and 4830.

The best, of course will be the 9800GTX+ and the Radeons 4850. :thumb: