USB 3.0 Superspeed cables... will cheap ones work well

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by peaz, Jan 3, 2014.

1. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

I just got my Superspeed enclosure and am getting 200++MB/s write speeds. Which is what my 3GB/s SATA II SSD is capable of.
    But the cable that came with it is long and clumsy and am thinking of just buying a shorter cable from dx.com.

Question is, how sensitive USB 3.0 on Superspeed mode is with the cable quality? Does anyone have any experience using el-cheapo cables and stilly get good speeds?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Unless you are using it for charging purposes, I think it should be fine.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, I don't think you will have any problem with USB 3.0 cables. They are like HDMI cables - they will deliver the same level of performance... as long as they adhere to specs.

If you get USB 3.0 cables that cheat on the specs, you may get the error message in Windows - "This USB Mass Storage Device can transfer information faster if you connect it to a Super-Speed USB 3.0 port" and get stuck at USB 2.0.

4. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Which means, cheap cables "might" not work. :)

Anyways, I found a shorter USB 3.0 cable for another HDD which I'm going to "sapu" for my enclosure. Man. SSD in a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed enclosure is quite awesome. :thumb:

5. Adrian Wong

Well, I wouldn't say cheap ones will not work but I would worry about getting extremely cheap ones. :mrgreen:

You are really LICH! :thumb: Everything is solid state! :thumb:

6. Chai

Yeah, cables are too cheap to experiment lol. I bought a long usb2 cable which is thicker than usual, but the charging ampere is low. So it is always a gamble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. DoreMon

DoreMon Newbie

Question is, how sensitive USB 3.0 on Superspeed mode is with the cable quality? Does anyone have any experience using el-cheapo cables and stilly get good speeds?

8. Adrian Wong

Unfortunately, no. So far all of my USB 3.0 devices come with their own cable and they are all working fine.

But cable quality should not be a factor in the performance of the USB 3.0 interface since it's a digital interface. If a cable is substandard, you will probably not be able to connect properly, rather than suffering from lower speeds.

9. Chai

I'm not sure about USB 3.0, but USB 1/2 cables vary a lot, especially when charging speed is involved. You need higher gauge rating cable to get higher charging amperage. So not all cables are the same. Digital signal wise shouldn't matter.

10. Adrian Wong

Yeah, if used for charging, you may need better cables if you need to exceed the original USB spec of 0.5 A.

They have since amended the USB spec to allow for faster "charging ports" that can deliver 1.5 A to 5 A (!!!).

If you are charging on those ports, better use quality cables or the higher current can overheat the wires and melt the cable... It may even catch fire. :think:

11. Adrian Wong

BTW, I think USB 3.0 supports up to 0.9 A, but again, with specific battery charging ports, they can run at 1.5 A to 5 A.