USB Keyboard not detected @ Welcome Screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alyy8128, Apr 22, 2010.

1. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix this computer (Dell Vostro 200) with only USB port available at the back of the computer.

The USB keyboard & function well in BIOS, as well as Hiren Boot Disc environment. But, when ever I let it boot normally until Windows XP 's Welcom Screen, I'm unable to key-in anything, or use my mouse to click the "User" to log-on. This happen even in "Safe Mode". I'm stuck at the "Welcome" screen, which does not welcome me at all.

I had spent few hour looking for answer in Google but can't get it. Only thing I know is quite a number of people using Dell facing such problem. But they do not putting a clear procedures to fix it.

Any Idea?

Thanks.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. What USB functions are available in the BIOS?

I suspect the USB drive for Windows XP is either not installed, or is corrupted. If that's the case, the best option would be to borrow someone's PS/2 keyboard, log into Windows and reinstall the USB driver.

3. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

[SOLVED]

Thanks for your advice.

This is a virus infected computer that brought by my friend.

All methods related to BIOS had been tested. Even Safe Mode is unable to access due to unrecognized Keyboard and Mouse attached.

The SOLUTION is: go back to get the original keyboard+mouse that used to connect to this computer. The Windows XP straight away can recognize them and get them to work.:shock:

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Is the PC running XP SP2 at least?

6. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

I believe it had been updated to SP2. It has a Home Edition Sticker on it, but does not showing "Home Edition" during startup.

I strongly believe it is a design problem by Windows XP (maybe same with Vista & 7.) The Windows has to be "log on" before it load the USB driver. If we wrongly putting different USB keyboard at different USB port, it will not recognized.

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I think there's an option in BIOS to change USB Mode, BIOS or OS. Try setting to BIOS.

8. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

There is nothing to do with the BIOS. I did reset the BIOS, but no luck.

This is purely Windows XP problem.

9. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

That can't be. Windows should load the USB driver before the login screen is presented.

If you have the original keyboard and mouse and can login, do that and make sure Windows XP has been updated to SP2. You can check by looking at the System Properties page.

Also, since it's virus infected, has the virus been cleared? If not, the best solution is to take out the HDD, hook it up to a desktop PC, boot off a clean HDD and clean the infected HDD using an antivirus software.

10. alyy8128

alyy8128 Newbie

:p ... forgot to check the Windows XP version before I returned that computer to my friend.

:think: I believe the virus is not the main causes to the problem. All those 519 virus are all situated inside "temp" or "Temporary Internet Files" only.