Virtual Memory Optimization Guide!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Oct 29, 2004.

1. ESP

ESP Newbie

2. Ironword

Ironword Newbie

Well, OK, but here's what you said...
    ...and that's good enough for me! Thx for a great guide.

3. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

LOL! I can be such a purist when I write sometimes. :wall: :haha:

Seriously, if you need memory dumps, then create a paging file in the boot drive. It's just that I don't need one, so I don't see the need to create a paging file in the boot drive.

4. sgt

sgt Newbie

I'm so proud of myself...

I just went through your Virtual Memory Optimization Guide and discovered that I had already done exactly as you suggested, intuitively!!! :thumb:

5. werty316

werty316 Newbie

Good to see people actually read guides. I go by the rule of 1.5 x the amount of ram you have unless you have something huge like 2 gigs. So then:

512MB ram = virtual memory set to 768MB
    1024MB ram = 1536MB

Thats mainly what I go by but anyone is still unsure read the guide and hey it never hurts to have a large swap setup.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

This proves that you have not read the guide! READ IT! :mrgreen:

7. werty316

werty316 Newbie

what well I read the title hehe....he I guess it wouldn't hurt. Fulle of knowledge my brain will be. OK I jsut took a glance and wow I know A little more now. Moving the page file to the outer edge. I gotta try this.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  8. wilflare

wilflare Newbie

Hi, thanks this great guide.
    really helped alot in clearing some doubts.

just want to ask
    I have 2 SATA drves hooked on my PC currently
    OS Drive : 36GB Raptor
    Data Drive : 250GB Hitachi

Would it be better to put the page on the raptor (since it is faster) or create an extra partition on the outermost of the Hitachi?

The Hitachi drive is also the default drive for all my downloads and stuff(bittorrent, etc), so will putting the page file on this drive actually negate the benefits?

thanks =]

9. Ironword

Ironword Newbie

I'm no expert, but I assume that most swapping is done as a response to OS calls, so you'd want the pagefile on the drive that DOESN'T hold your OS.

(If this is wrong, I'm happy to be corrected).

--Mike

10. Adrian Wong

That's generally correct, although if the second drive is too slow, that might impact the swapfile's performance too much.

For peace of mind, just create a paging file on BOTH hard disks. Windows XP will then use the paging file that it thinks is the fastest at that time.

11. Adrian Wong

Wow! That's great! :thumb:

12. wilflare

wilflare Newbie

thanks for the advice. =]
    do i have to create a separate partition for the pagefile on the OS drive? How big should it be?

I am setting the page file on my hitachi to 512MB.
    Using 1GB RAM too.

PS: Slight OT here - When I used Partition Magic to partition my Hitachi, I noticed my Raptor having some unallocated space at the end of the drive? Is this normal?
    I can't seem to merge it back with my partition on the Raptor either.

13. Adrian Wong

No real need to do that. Check the guide on separate partitions.

OT : That's normal. Don't worry about it.

14. wilflare

wilflare Newbie

thanks for the reply. =]
    guess i'll monitor how it goes on just one HDD before putting another pagefile on my boot drive. =]

thanks again.

15. Adrian Wong

No problem. :mrgreen:

16. Hicks

Hicks Newbie

Hi, I've got two hard drives, a DiamondMax+ 9 80 GB S-ATA and a DiamondMax 10 200 GB S-ATA.
    On which should I install Windows XP and on which should I put the virtual memory on in order to achieve optimal performance?

Thanks in advance. :)

17. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

Hi and welcome to the ARP. :wave: ^^

In common you should place the VM on a different drive (not partition) than your system if you've got the chance to.
    Imo you won't gain much or any performance in your case, 'cause this "rule" is most effective on P-ATA; on S-ATA, SCSI or RAID-volumes it's different (like already stated in the guide).

18. Hicks

Hicks Newbie

Thanks, but my main question is that if OS should be on the faster drive or if virtual memory should?

19. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

OS should be placed on the faster drive, of course.
    There's no use having the VM placed on an ultra-fast and then "waiting" for the OS to finish its job, right? ^^
    But the very small difference between both of yours is not really worth the thought at all. ;)

20. Hicks

Hicks Newbie

Allright, thanks. :)
    I just thought that the system would overall benefit more with virtual memory on the faster drive.