Vista...WTF?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Motoman, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...so, I finally decided to give Vista a try. Got a brand-new laptop that came with 4Gb of RAM, so threw Vista 64-bit on it.

Turned off UAC, set the UI to be XP-ish, and frankly thought all was pretty OK. Then...well, then something stupid happened.

Installed a program. Wanted to move it from the main "Programs" area to be under Accessories. Have done this with other programs on this PC...moved Catalyst control Center under Accessories, for example.

However, when I try to move this one program (Macrium, for the record), I get a "permission denied" error. I am the only user on the machine...member of Administrators. (and for what it's worth, I can't figure out how to log on as Administrator...doesnt' seem to be any option on the login screen to get there).

I then made a copy of the program folder, and pasted it under Accessories. That worked. But then couldn't delete the original...so I decided to delete the copy I just made. Can't do that either! Tried to drag the copy to the desktop...don't have permission for that!

W. T. F. This is the stupidest effing thing I have ever seen in my life. Can anybody help me with this shipment of fail?

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Vista is trying to disable Admin rights even if you are the only user. It's to prevent users from doing stupid things.

This is very similar to UNIX or Linux. I'm not sure what's causing your problem though.

3. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

4. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...OK, now that's also very dumb. Booted my machine up this morning and saw your post...to be honest, I would never think that a "security" issue would go away with a reboot...but apparently it did. Did what I wanted without issue.

Which begs the question...WTF did Vista think it was doing in the first place, and if it thought a "security" violation was going on, why would a reboot fix that? :wall:

5. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

could it be a permission denied for moving the folder ?

6. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

could be another process was accessing that file?

7. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...like what? At that point I had copied & pasted it. Had done nothing else. Then was refused the right to delete it because I "didn't have authority" to do so.

Just some random Vista stupidness. Ugh.

8. liman

liman Newbie

haha everyone complains about vista and it deserved it . it is simply just xp with 3rd party stuff. i dont see anything new in vista. except built in ipv6 ? and .. they didnt even put anything new for developers ?

the only thing that was new was the GUI which stilll sucks. i have vista ish themes for no reason... its just heck ugly. gosh. why dont just use something simple..
    long live linux!

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

wow, do you know you are very awesome?

10. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

:confused:

11. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...if it was XP with some extra 3rd party stuff, it probably wouldn't be maligned as much...

The GUI is cute...but seriously, that's it? I don't get it. I'd love for Linux to become a legitimate alternative for mainstream consumers, but it isn't, and probably won't be.

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

you don't get it simply because you are lazy to read up. Please, stop *****hing, fire up your browser and do some reading. Wiki has a very good article on this subject.

Vista is built on a total redesigned foundation. kernel, driver model, audio, video & networking stacks, they are all brand new stuff. and its deployment is one of the most configuratable among all windows.

13. starboykb

starboykb Newbie

hmmm strange i have no problem with vista. :mrgreen:

14. Chai

Other than UAC, especially when playing with Windows system files, or modifying them to make it 'better', Vista is working fine for me. Not my favourite OS, but it's not that bad.

15. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I'm not honestly having that much trouble with it. The issue that started this thread was pretty irritating, but in normal use it's fine. Which is to say, it works basically like XP, so I have to wonder what the point is - other than using all 4Gb of my RAM, which was (in my case) the whole point.

16. Chai

DX10? New audio stack (no need to worry about kernel streaming or ASIO anymore)? Superfetch (although I didn't like it at first, it does work)?

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Honestly, Vista isn't bad. Granted, UAC is a real pain in the ass but after disabling it and patching to SP1, Vista's really stable and fast.

It does take getting used to, because it's quite different from XP, especially how Windows Explorer works. But once you get used to it, you may actually find the previously weird features actually useful.

18. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

To date, I've only been playing WoW on it, which I don't think uses DX10. As for the audio stack, superfetch, etc. - I can't tell any difference. So I guess from my standpoint you can tell me about all the new features and capabilities it has...but if I don't notice that my computing experience is any different, why do I care?

DX10 may indeed make capable games look better. So I probably have to agree with that one. But I just can't say I see any value in Aero or any of the other features...

19. Chai

If you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not there. Probably you don't even understand or bother to understand what these new features do.

You can always choose to go back to XP. No one is forcing you.

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

Actually, think again, win98 fits your requirement just fine. You don't need XP, really!