Wake on LAN option - HOW ???

Discussion in 'BIOS Optimization Guide (BOG)' started by A-D-M, Dec 23, 2002.

1. A-D-M

A-D-M Newbie

Hello i have that Wake on LAN option in my bios
    Would anyone care to expline to me how that works (I have a Etahernet card on that pc . and it is connected with a Network hub to other PC) - i would like to boot up that computer with that option from anouther computer - but i dont know how ...
    :shock:

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello A-D-M,

Never tried it before but I believe you have to use a Wake On LAN cable to connect the network card to a WOL header on your motherboard. Then you have to enable Wake On LAN in both the BIOS as well as the driver in Windows.

If you have done all that, your system SHOULD boot up when a Magic Packet (I think) is sent to it.

3. A-D-M

A-D-M Newbie

:(

:oops: Well - tnx for the reply man - But i still have No idea on how to do this .... :oops:

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hello A-D-M,

Your network card will come with a small thin cable. That's your WOL (Wake On LAN) cable. You have to connect it to the WOL header on your motherboard. For the exact location of this header, you have to consult your motherboard manual.

Then you have to enable Wake On LAN in the BIOS. I think you also have to activate this feature in the driver properties of your network card in Windows.