wanted: transitional mobo on a budget

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by dude, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

MSI? Not too bad. Performance is pretty good, can run at 166MHz FSB. So I'm pretty satisfied now.

But if you want something more tweakable, I still recommend Abit. :)

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Alamak... blur ler... Dunno how I misread it... Heheh... Oklah... Happy Birthday to your 8KHA+! ;)

3. Chai

Make sure you don't misread your benchmark results! :D

4. dude

dude Newbie

hi guys,
    took a few hours stroll down low yat today and i had a fresh view of things to come. first off, the new ABIT MAX2 (AMD and Intel) is wicked - and waaay too expensive. but i found the ABIT SG-71 micro ATX to be a likely candidate, the only drawback is the SiS chip but at RM245 looks promising. the ABIT BG7 @ RM285 with Intel 845G looks like the perfect candidate.

of course the ABIT NF7 and MSI K7N2 with nForce2 tip my scale a bit but at RM 400 and RM RM350, it's a bit out of reach. i also found the elusive VIA Epia 800 dangling @ RM490 and at RM1350 it comes with Lian Li's latest mini ITX casing. tempting.

i think i'm gonna hang low for awhile... wait a month or two for the prices of nForce2 boards to slip a little and get those. then even if i spend a bit more than my budget, i know i got a good board in my hand - plus the Athlon prices will drop alittle by then i hope.

thanx a lot Chai and feel free to comment on the boards i just list down, wanna hear some juicy stuff on them.

and ZuePhOk, no luck on the Epox board, nobody carries them anymore plus they say it's a bit buggy. 9 out of 10 Epox sold will come back to the shop, thanks to OC wannabes.

later guys.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you are looking at the ABIT NF7, be sure to note that it does not come with the IGP. Therefore, no onboard GeForce4 MX GPU. The ABIT nForce2 model that comes with the IGP is the ABIT NF7-M.

6. Chai

The MAX2 series are the high models from Abit. They have to be expensive. :D Legacy free, has everything you need except a graphics chip.

Intel 845G is pretty good if you want built-in graphics. It performs the best among all on board solution, except nForce2.

Adrian is currently testing the highest end of Abit NF7-S. It's a great board, but it's plagued with some driver problems.

7. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

hehe...who knows...maybe they tried 2.2 vcore and 3.2 vdimm :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. dude

dude Newbie

thanx Adrian for the add on comment.

now i know why some shops have different prices on the NF7. anyways COMPUZONE was having a one-day-special on the NF7S which was going for RM480 instead of the normal RM550 list price.

what do you think about the MSI's board (K7N2), comment please since i think this will suit my budget better.

oh Chai, MAX2 brings back the old PS2 connectors.

9. Chai

Yup, I know. But they are still missing parallel and serial ports, and I'm still using it!

MSI's nForce2? I'm not too sure. But I know the 845G is quite bad. KT333 is good, which I'm using.