What if the Internet went down...and didn't come back up?

Discussion in 'News' started by Dashken, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cvasquez

cvasquez Newbie

This will never happened unless you wipe earth. ;)

2. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

if i have no internet, i will turn back to a normal human being. one who do daily stuff like watching tv, reading books, cook, go out and play sports....

all that if i can survive a 10 level building fall :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. the entire Internet?

This sounds more like a hypothetical, philosophical question than a business contingency planning issue.

Sure routers go down. Backbones experience issues.

Stuff happens.

However, the question is are we talking about the commercially-oriented Internet going away? The one most of us have come to know since the mid 1990's?

Or are we talking the whole roots of the Internet in government agencies and academia going away? (The one that dates back to the 1960's/1970's)

In other words, are we rolling back to pre-1994? or pre-1969?

And even in the context of the commercially-oriented Internet...

Let's face it... Even the "free" is rarely free.

Is free e-mail (Gmail, Hotmail, Mail.Yahoo.com, etc.) really free? Of course not.

Are forums like this really free?

No there's a time cost. A bandwidth cost. A cost of being exposed to ads... with an advertising supported model, courtesy of programs like Google AdSense.

But the entire Internet going away?

It reminds me of when a friend or family member who's technology-challenged tells me, "The Internet's down today."

If I have the energy to roll my eyes,

"C'mon you mean the entire Internet or just your DSL or cable modem connection?"

Joshua Feinberg, author/editorial director
    Computer Consulting Kit Home Study Course
    ComputerConsultingKit.net

4. werty316

werty316 Newbie

For me I would have no use for a computer really if I didn't have an internet connection.

The world would most likely go a few steps back since the internet is a great resource for businesses.

5. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Someone sure is overthinking... :mrgreen:

6. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

i know what you mean, i LOLed when my fren said "lousy internet" when there's problem with the connection :haha: :haha:

but we sure are talking about the real deal, where the internet is gone, poof just like that....at least that's what i think :lol: :lol:

7. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Yeah, let's concentrate on the Internet itself. Let's say.. tomorrow morning, I wake up.. and try to connect to Google, dang! Cannot! I check my modem, router, everything... even with my laptop... also cannot! Then I go to work... the connection is down at work as well. OMFG! Now I can't go online to check what really happen coz the every farking connection is down. Dang...

Then when I reach home... I check the Internet connection again... nope, still down... :wall:

Nothing better to do, I on my tv and watch the news and find out that the news is reporting the whole earth is under panic because no one can access the Internet anymore. The servers and connections are there... but no one can get f**king connected! :wall:

And nobody knows why... even the experts. :faint:

Ok, that's the intro... :mrgreen:

8. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

haha yeah, don't have to over complicate things. o_0

9. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

Someone should make a movie about this. It will be a blockbuster :mrgreen:

10. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

cloverfield style? :haha: :haha:

11. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

What's going to be the monster though? :shock: :haha:

12. swivvle

swivvle Newbie

i wouldnt be able to watch big breasted ladies get boned in my downtime

13. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually, the effect of even poor Internet connection can be seen. Recently, four undersea cables went down within a single week in the Middle East.

Much of the Middle East, India and some parts of Asia were affected. Although there was still some traffic, the backup lines were so congested that the Internet was essentially dead.

I don't think those countries truly "died" during the downtime, but definitely, things were really bad especially for countries like India where software outsourcing is big business.

14. pyroboy1911

pyroboy1911 Newbie

lolcats? i've seen pictures of them trying to steal teh "internetz" :haha: :haha: :haha: