What memory can I get?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by clueless, Feb 23, 2009.

1. clueless

clueless Newbie

Hy I am buying an E8400/Asus P5Q-C, what memory should I buy for using stock and what memory for OC?
    I dont have a clue about memory and how and why to buy a spcific one, talking about speed not brands.
    Thanks!

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you are not overclocking, any DDR2-667 would do. But DDR2-800 is dirt cheap now. You should just get that instead.

3. clueless

clueless Newbie

Hy Chai thanks for answering, does this mean that if I buy DDR2 800 it will operate as DDR2 667 because of the 333 mghz of the cpu or something like that? (333x2=667)
    I mean, there wont be any real gain? And also, if I had a cpu that uses 400 mghz, in that case DDR2 800 fits great?

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yup, you can buy a DDR2 1066 and run at 667MHz without issue.

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can set the memory to run at the higher speed.

6. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ram's speed are set in the bios if i'm not mistaken right? One can set to run the rams at 667 or 800 or even 1066..but for now, just get ddr800 rams since they are widely available (if you're from malaysia) and it's cheaper too o_O

7. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yup, you can set them in the BIOS, although all BIOS now auto-detect the RAM speed.

8. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

yeah,but heck..some bios detect the ram speed as slower rams for some reason...eg: 667 rams but detect it as 533mhz =.="