What's a good WiFi router to buy now?

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by Adrian Wong, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Actually my current 3Com WiFi router has a tendency to lock up the WiFi network when transferring large amounts of data.

I'm hoping to get a new router that does not have that kind of problem. It's very irritating everytime the router locks up. :roll:

2. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the linksys WRT54G is really a proven model..
    and a few more (G)

3. bslee

bslee Newbie

Have been using Netgear WGR624v2 108mbps for sometime now and its been very stable. Have transferred large data (movie files) from desktop to laptop with relative ease.Have never faced any lockups or unstability. I think its the only 108mbps router in our market for the time being.
    Am not a fan of Netgear but gave it a chance since upgrading from former 11b Linksys.The same rules of wireless optimization still apply, flash latest firmware, optimize location, find best channel it works and other tips may apply too.

4. im using the dlink xtremeg, it works well. pcmag says that linksys is good also.

5. Adrian Wong

Does it really transfer files at 108mbps?? :think:

I'm quite skeptical about such bandwidth-doubling routers. :shifty:

6. fuzzy

fuzzy Newbie

How much is the selling for?

7. TechZ

TechZ Newbie

Dlink/Linksys/3com have their proprietary "Turbo" software on the new routers, it works with compatable hardware, it really does.

8. Ject

Ject Newbie

Linksys is owned my Cisco and is their lower end products. if you want to save cash and get the same performace. Go D-Link. D-Link and Linksys are the same in quality and reliability, cept Linksys costs more for name brand stuff.

Either or, they both are the same just depends on your $$$ situation.

9. bslee

bslee Newbie

No lah.. I don't think any domestic networking equipment can reach advertised speeds. I feel its more of a marketing hype than anything else in real world.
    I think I noticed 36mbps constant whilst file transfer. (purposely router configured to forced 108mbs mode).I've not monitored the actual performance till probably next round of intended file transfers. I'll closely monitor the performace this time round and report back. What I noticed previously is not conclusive. I'm having both the wireless machines something like only 1 floor above at not more than 15 feet.
    I'll reiterate, I took the opportunity to give Netgear an opportunity to serve me this round after a getting fedup with the 11b Linksys.
    D-Link?...NO WAY!...Hate it! (that includes the local distributor too!)
    BTW, am now using a simple bridge configered SMC7401BRAv2 modem with it..I find it a little faster average than the Aztech DSL600EU..using TMNet's xpeedometer. I believe its something to do with a better chipset. However the SMC operates somewhat a little hot.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  10. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

Most consumer-grade bits of network equipment are pretty similar in their performance and reliability...

Netgear used to be very highly thought of, not long after their spinoff from Bay (Nortel) Networks, but I know PsY doesn't like their stuff :). To be fair to them I've used some of their wireless routers and they've all performed flawlessly for me...albeit some of them needed firmware upgrades to work properly!

I haven't had much experience with Linksys equipment, but the progress that has been made with regards to community-built firmware (as in Sveasoft, HyperWRT, OpenWRT, etc.) can give you more features than any stock consumer-grade router...but just because Cisco bought over them don't expect IOS on a home router anytime soon :D.

I think 3Com is overrated in many ways though...I don't know what the situation is with their current gear, but in the past many of their models were little more than glorified rebadges of generic hardware from companies like AMIT or Delta Networks. I remember some of their earlier 802.11b PC Cards being horribly unreliable and having pathetic radios/antennae.

If your wireless gear is finicky, try upgrading both firmware and drivers for everything. Sometimes (as in the case of the Belkin 802.11g PCI card I was using for a while), the manufacturer of the card might not be very good at issuing driver updates, and that's when you might want to look for a generic driver. Hint: Many 802.11g devices these days are using Broadcom controllers!

In scrolling up, I can see that I have rambled. I do this often. Never mind. I'll just sum it up by saying this: Brand isn't really much of a concern when you're dealing with cheap network gear...just check around and make sure the manufacturer is good with updates and there aren't too many complaints about the model.

11. Adrian Wong

Haha!! Thanks for the tips!

I'm just worried about potential problems. You know, like bugs and stuff.

My 3Com router has that large files transfer problem and there has been no more firmware updates since it is already discontinued. So, I would certainly love to avoid such a problem with the new router.

12. bslee

bslee Newbie

Say having to transfer files from lappy to pc or vice versa, I reckon I'd be silly to use wireless. Hardwire it up, do transfers would probably be the best philosophy.

13. Adrian Wong

Well, using LAN would definitely be faster.

However, if you want a completely wireless workplace, then it would be good to have a router that can do that without breaking down halfway.

14. bslee

bslee Newbie

Well, I just did a dvd movie (iso format) transfer to my son's desktop, 4Gb in all..took about 15 mins..Lappy wireless to his LAN wired desktop..all went well..now he's enjoying the movie..

15. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

If it is going to be used in a small network and not a lot of traffic, I would say Linksys.
    If you are going to use it in a 20 + user setup OR a lot of traffic, (everyone doing something at the same time constantly) I would go with a more advanced router from another company.

16. Adrian Wong

I'm going to use it in my house, with two LAN cables running to two rooms. But the rest of the house will be connected wirelessly.

At most, there should be only 3-5 computers at any one time. There might be large file transfers but the network should not be saturated most of the time. :think:

17. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

My company just bought a Netgear yesterday, just for the sick of using the G standard so basically just another access point. Reason is running VPN here and already have a good firewall server, so not going to use the router before any DMZ zone.

So far using d-link usb adapter to connect to the netgear wireless router, disconnect and connect back few time. Not sure is the setting problem coz haven look into it yet.

Linksys found it not bad, we my friend company using it and it works well.

D-link, still the same it only works well with D-link card or wireless adapter. So no point look into it, coz my company having the d-link also before getting the netgear and we having problem to connect it also. Especially using Intel wifi which is the centrino laptop. :snooty:

18. Adrian Wong

Wow.. That sucks, if you only have to use D-Link cards to work with their routers. :hand:

19. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

:think:
    2x Asus and 1x Netgear, both works fine without the slightest sign of troubles in combination with my D-Link Router.

20. bslee

bslee Newbie

3 months+ gone by and am fully satisfied with the Netgear over the short tempered Linksys 11b wireless router which hang just about too often with same 4 machines connected..2 wired + 2 wireless.
    Just ensure to upgrade to later firmware & drivers. The only complaint I have is it operates a little hot at 24/7!, so wanna know what I did?..stuck 20 bucks worth of copper ramsinks on the main chips of both modem & router. I've found it does help a bit more. Netgear don't have stupid "warranty seal" all over the place, unlike Linksys which having a bigger box, so ventilation is certainly an advantage here.
    I think Netgear is quite stable at home with normal use.