Whats the best 17inch LCD for gaming...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by eg660, Feb 9, 2005.

1. eg660

eg660 Newbie

Just wanna ask you guys what is the best LCD for gaming

2. Pretty much any LCD that has a TRUE responce time of 16ms or less. The rest depends on how much you want to spend. Personally I do not recommend LCD for gaming, for me it just doesn't feel right. I just went out and spent $600.00 on a pair of Dell 1704FPVs monitors and I put my CRT back on the desk for gaming because my eyes prefer the CRT.

If you do get one Buy from a site or store that has a satisfaction gaurantee period where you can return it if you don't like it.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well, ghosting is a problem (unless if you have the 12ms response time). Another thing that you should consider is the fact that you can't change the native resolution or else it will be interleaved... Thats sorta like a prob for future games coz you will have to play it at high resolutions...

4. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

That could be your problem right there. the 1704FPV has a pixel response time of 25ms. I'm using the 1704FPt (12ms) and it seems to work pretty well in gaming for me!

5. I know the fpv has a 25ms responce time

I've also used 16ms monitors (try before I buy)
    >Rosewill R700J
    >CTX S761A
    >Viewsonic VE175
    >SONY SDM-X73
    >and some others not worthy of putting in my list of prospects

12ms monitors
    > SAMSUNG 710N-2

I bought the Dells because of the features, our warantee and service contract with them, and how much nicer everything on screen looks. I also like how thin the border on the monitor is, nice when having 2 screens side by side.

I just prefer CRT's for gaming. So I think before someone goes LCD they should Try out the idea before they spend the cash and wind up wishing they didn't. I was lucky unough to have plenty of desk space :D

6. eg660

eg660 Newbie

in short there is no good LCD's for gaming?.... :D

7. bslee

bslee Newbie

I always thought the Samsung 172X is one of the best and coolest looking LCD's in the market...for the price!

8. Nooooo there are some nice ones like the Dell 2001FP but I've spent my time infront of CRTs and for some reason I cannot get used to LCD no matter how good they are :(. I wish, I could really use the room :oops:

I blame it on too many 20+ hour deathmatch LAN Parties in front of a CRT monitor

9. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

argggggg..
    dun get fooled by the marketing hype :)
    u must understand that each manufacturer has their own respone time "definition" :)
    ghosting is no longer a major issue nowadays with good panel. some very good panels that come with 25ms-20ms has no ghosting issue. for instance, the panel used in 193p model. :) acer says their panel's respone time is 8ms, but the truth is, their "definition" is entirely diff from others. Anandtech sums it up pretty well.

and this is more important

so when u shop for an LCD, dun get fooled by the respone time. if u make ur decision based on respone time, it's basically like looking for pure GHZ when selecting a processor. the best is of cuz, look for forumers' feedback. anandtech forum is one fo the forum where u can get quite a num of good feedback on LCDs.
    the hottest model now is of cuz, the DELL 1905FP. it uses Samsung panel (the one in samsung 193P) and its price is extremly cheap. in Malaysia you can get it for RM1599 and should be cheaper after cash redemption (usually around RM150-199). 20ms but again, it means nothing :) it's 19inch, 1280x1024, no ghosting problem :thumb: one fgood deal!
    the samsung 193p is retailed at RM29xx so the 1905 is dirt cheap!!!!
    Im too considering of getting this baby! :D :thumb:

the 172x is good, but the retail price is around RM1300. so why not you just top up another 200bucks and get the 1905? a true 19inch display size dude! 19INCH!!!!!!! once you get used to a 19inch LCD, you wouldn't want any other 19inch CRT or 17inch LCD. At office, Im spoiled with a viewsonic 19inch LCD. so everynight when I get back home, I always want to throw my 19inch CRT out of my window, cuz it's just so fsmall!!!!!!! :lol:
    1905's younger brother, 1705 is selling for RM999 now :mrgreen: :thumb: after cash redemption, is around RM800-850 :thumb:

both 1705 and 1905

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  10. eg660

eg660 Newbie

11. Nice monitor for windows, but It's pretty bad for gaming. I had both versions
    1704FPVs (Samsung)
    1704FPVt (Lite-on)

I kept the 1704FPVs because they were much brighter and krisper.

The top Pic Here they are with Halo2 piped into one using the High Def X2VGA+

The bottom pic And here is my desk now after I couldn't take using the 1704FPV for gaming any more. Back to the CRT :nuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

you have a very kewte giraffe bear bear there..:mrgreen: :thumb:

13. Yeah I find it's easier and less expensive to throw him against the wall when I am angry than to throw my mouse or Xbox controller. :D

14. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

The Dell 1705 is very enticing... :drool: Are you getting, Fok?? :wicked;

15. hyper_raider

hyper_raider shutdown -h now

Cool set up man...all Dell stuff too..i love those LCD's you got man...we use em at the computer labs as well...it can tilt sideways and all...i love it :thumb: sometimes i just feel like grabbing it..

16. AAY

AAY ARP Reviewer

In some ways I gotta agree with you - nothing really beats a high-quality CRT. I do some CAD stuff in a lab, and I am always impressed by how good a nice 21" Trinitron tube looks. In comparison to a low-end CRT though, I'd go with an LCD :)...I've used PsYkHoTiK's old Samsung 756MB and it just looked nasty - nothing was sharp at all and the colours didn't look all that fantastic either.

17. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

you are a dell freak :wave:

18. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

the thing i dun like about crt is geometry distortion.

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Yeah, the lack of geometry distortion is a big benefit of moving to LCD.

20. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If you game and watch movies a lot, you wouldn't mind geometry distortions. :p And better monitors have less geometry distortion too...