When will AM3 stuff be on the market?

Discussion in 'Processors, Motherboards & Memory' started by Motoman, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

...anybody have any good reads on when AM3 stuff will be available? I want to build myself a high-end HTPC which will also be used for gaming on the big screen...but want to wait until I can build an AM3 system to do it.

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Why wait for AM3? Why not just go for an Intel Core 2 system instead? :think:

3. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

Because I don't like Intel.

4. Adrian Wong

Oh, I see, but why though? :think:

I'm neither for or against Intel, but their Core 2 processors currently offer the best bang for the buck. AMD, unfortunately, has nothing close. :(

5. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

I just don't want to support them...if for no other reason than the fact that they're an overbearing, borish, near-monopoly that I'd feel dirty about siding with.

I want competition in this market, and AMD is the only competition left (back in the day, I built a bunch of PCs with Cyrix processors even). From my standpoint, I can play WoW on my Athlon 64 6000+ and ATI Radeon 3870 at 1680x1050 with all settings maxed and it's like butter...so you can tell me that a Core 2 is however much "better" - but my computing experience is already as good as it can get, so I would see no point. I'm not a benchmark junkie, and as such am perfectly aware that there is no perceptible difference between 85FPS and 150FPS, even if the benchmark graph looks sufficiently more impressive.

On the other hand, I see no point in building a new machine with current product, knowing that the next generation is imminent...so to get the best longevity from my next machine, I'll wait for AMD to get the AM3 stuff to market.

6. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

There's nothing special about AM3 other than DDR3 support.

7. Adrian Wong

Well, I don't think they can help it. Their Core 2 processor is just that much better than AMD's Phenoms. AMD did have a great advantage with their Athlon 64s but they have since lagged behind. :(

TBH, it is in Intel's best interest NOT to be a monopoly. It's the same thing with Microsoft. Both companies actually invest in their rivals to ensure there's some competition. Getting classified as a monopoly is a sure way to get dismembered. :haha: :haha:

Hehe.. I remember the Cyrix / IBM days. I was a major supporter of Cyrix, assembling many, many systems around the 6x86, 6x86L and 6x86MX processors. But of course, they did offer much better price-performance ratios than the Intel Pentiums at that time. :thumb:

Anyway back to the topic....

If extra CPU performance is not the issue, why not go for an AMD AM2+ system now? The only difference between AM2/2+ and AM3 is the support for DDR3.

AMD is expected to launch AM3 sometime this year. Some claim early 2009 but it could be as late as middle of 2009.

In any case, you can use AM3 processors with AM2+ motherboards. You just can't use AM2/2+ processors in AM3 motherboards. So there is still an upgrade path left.

8. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I don't really bother about which brand, but I prefer to see it in a price/performance ratio.

Right now, C2D is really okay for my limited budget. Even the Pentium Dual-Cores are great stuff for low-end gaming systems. Plus, these LGA775 platforms do almost cover a wide range of
    processors, depending on the model of the board itself. I find it more easy to upgrade a 775 platform than that of the AM2/3. Ok, just my humble opinion. Those might change later, who knows? Whatever fits my needs, my range of usage and my budget, I'll choose that particular processor, whether it's Intel or AMD. :)

Cyrix 6x86? They have very poor floating point performance. And sometimes, they reported poor compatibilities. But I heard that these 6x86 ones are the first processors IIMNM not to use the clock speed as performance measure (I mean, Pentium Rating). The PR233 for example, it's not 233MHz, but it's 166MHz (From Cyrix MII). Cyrix claimed that the performance of MII is as good as the Pentium MMX 233MHz (or PII if they are exaggerating), but we just don't think so. I have found out that even in many instances, the Pentium MMX 166MHz is just better than the Cyrix ones. Worst, they are hotter, and thermally impractical.

Of course - these Cyrix ones are cheaper. Some people used it for the simple Internet and a uh.. a full fledged 'electronic typewriter'. Games? Don't ever try that. It wouldn't work that well. Because of the poor FPU, why bother? :haha:

Even in 1999, Cyrix processors are still sold in cheap Socket 7 solutions. In fact, many very cheap computer sets back in 98-00 are using a combination of Cyrix MII-300 (or any Cyrix 6x86) with PCChips M598 (infamous motherboard with dud-onboard-cache = non-existant cache on motherboard). Of course, I used to have that PC some close friend of mine which he dumped it to me. And too bad, the motheboard died before I ever have to investigate it further.

Oooh I'm going OT here. But anyway thank the goodness, PC solutions are getting cheaper and cheaper. Even simple Pentium Dual-Core systems can do a lot more compared to those low-end PCs back in the days of Pentium 1. :mrgreen:

9. Adrian Wong

Actually, in those days, not many games use the FPU. That's why I bought many Cyrix 6x86 processors in those days. I had no problem playing games with them.

They do offer a significant boost in performance over the Pentium MMX then. That's why Cyrix and IBM chose to use PR ratings.

Yeah, that's the thing. Intel has had to drop the prices of their Core 2 Duo and Pentium Dual-Core processors to keep sales up, so they are dirt cheap (esp the lower end models).

10. Zenphic

Zenphic Newbie

True that. Might as well just get an AM2 board that supports AM3. Don't know if DDR3 will ever be as cheap as DDR2, so you might save a few pennies going AM2+DDR2 than AM3+DDR3

11. The_YongGrand

Not sure about the games not using the FPU, but at that time (97-99), newer 3D games like those FPS requires them a lot. Those graphics card were either only 4-8MB and only PCI or early AGP, and without a full-fledged GPU yet. Try finding reports on Cyrix 6x86 and MIIs, you will know how much the reviewers will complain. Of course, the major praise will be the cheap price and the PR and some more performance boost, but that's about it.:whistle:

For your info, I still have my Cyrix MII-300 in my drawer. Yes, I admit it has some advantages over the Pentiums, but the drawbacks are sometimes severe. I'm not against the Cyrix btw.
    There are also other clones of those Cyrix too - IDT Winchip and IBM ones (I heard IBM got Cyrix and then remanufacture those chips as IBM MII and 6x86).

Also, not only they slashed the prices for the C2D and PDC, but they also probably did the same thing on these newer Atom solutions they provide. Those Atom are very nice too. :thumb:

12. Adrian Wong

Haha.. Maybe that's why. I was not really into FPS those days. I was playing strategy games like Civilizations, flight sims like TIE Fighter and adventure games like Monkey Island. :haha: :haha:

Coming back to topic... I think as far as AMD is concerned, it might be best to go with the AM2+ platform for now. No idea when the AM3 CPUs and chipsets will actually hit the market... and even more importantly - their price points. Plus DDR2 is dirt cheap now. :thumb:

13. The_YongGrand

I did play these games too. FPS at those days weren't truly 100% polygon based yet as it's still sprite-based (Doom 1 and 2 series are 2.5D) but the levels are purely 3D. Only Quake and Tomb Raider managed to have models directly modelled from pure polygons at that time, and they needed more power from the GFX cards and some CPU. :)

For the AM2+ systems I agree with you. I actually like the onboard ATi/nVidia chipsets on these motherboards - the onboard gfx solutions are really great. I didn't even know they have AM3 right now... :haha:

14. Chai

That's why I went for Pentium chips. They were not really that expensive.

15. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

As far as a CPU is concerned, I tend to go with whatever has the best performance for my needs at the lowest cost. I had a 486 system run by AMD, then a Pentium system, an Athlon XP system (had 3 CPU's with that through upgrading.), and am not on an Intel C2D. Honestly, the C2D surprised me. It has a lot of power for a small price, and the stock HSF is actually quiet.

At one point, I was like you Motoman, no Intel because they are big enough and AMD is just fine. After a while though, I realised neither company is going anywhere. I am sure Intel is doing what MS does for Apple as Adrian said. MS invests in Apple, a lot. So much so that there is MS code in the MAC OS. I am sure that there is something similar going on between AMD and Intel.

If I were you, I would either get an AM2/AM2+ based board, or simply get a Intel C2D. Depending on what you can afford and needs, I would say get the Q9400. That has 2.66GHz speeds, a nice 6MB cache, and it's not too costly.

16. Chai

Same for me too. I used to be a big fan on 3dfx, and since Nvidia was one of the main cause of 3dfx downfall.

But now I really don't care. Consumer will always be the winner because we determine their income. If they make crap products, why should they deserve my money. I buy what ever that's best for me.

That's why I used to own both brands of processor, from K6-2, Celeron, P3, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon 64, and back to C2D. C2D is easily the best processor now.

17. The_YongGrand

I agree with ya - I love the E1200/E5200s for the price/performance ratio. So far, I just enjoyed using the S.775 platform. It's not that I'm abandoning AM2/+ but they have advantages and drawbacks too. :)

They are those little gems! :thumb:

18. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

In the vast majority of things, I have the same attitude as many of you. Which is to say, just get whatever the best bang for the buck is at that time. So I flutter back-and-forth between ATI and Nvidia video cards, don't have any particular brand of motherboards I prefer, don't have any particular preference for hard drives, so on and so forth.

However, I will not willingly support Intel for more reasons than just "I like AMD." Intel is not worthy of my dollars because of the illegal abuses they served on the market as the reigning monopoly. Because of their illegal tactics to keep AMD (and others) out of major manufacturers for so long, they are not eligible for my practice of "bang for the buck at the moment."

I would, in a very real sense, feel dirty if I bought an Intel CPU. Would absolutely be ashamed of myself.

19. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, that's your choice.
    As far as a video card goes, I just ordered a Radeon HD 4850 made by HIS with a 2 slot cooler. I'll let you know how that is noise wise, but it is a longer card as any high performance card is these days.
    But why not get a board with support for the AM3?
    I would look into getting the fallowing things for the video.
    Video card
    Slot cooler
    Sure it's taking 3 slots, but it will VERY be quiet.

If you are going for a micro case, it makes things more interesting.

20. Chai

Just to let you know Nvidia was also using dirty tactics to kill off competition like creating a reference guide to 'promote' Nvidia products and condemn incorrect facts about competitors.

This is competition, and that's life. It took me a long time to accept Nvidia again. 8800GTS is my first and my only Nvidia card I bought. I learn to accept the fact that, at the end of the day, fanboism is silly. We are consumers, and we have the choice of buying what's best for us.

Of course, it's your choice.