which is better?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Displays' started by caz21206, Dec 14, 2006.

1. caz21206

caz21206 Newbie

which is better ATI or NVIDIA?

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

It depends on what class and what use.

Be wary of fan-boys though... :p

3. werty316

werty316 Newbie

As it stands in the GPU gaming world, nVidia has been on top since the 7950GX2 wsa released and takes a further lead with the 8800GTX and 8800GTS.

4. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

ATI make good products but they always release them a couple of months too late :p

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

But ATI products are just not as refined as Nvidia IMO. Drivers, Crossfire, cards breaking down.

Although 7900GT has its own problems, but I've encountered far more ATI cards dying for no reason, even cards like 9600XT. I had a 9500 Pro died on me, Max87's 9800 Pro and weird X800XL problem. Maybe it's purely coincidental, but still...

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! AAY's 9800SE (that used to be mine) kept dying until it ran out of warranty. :roll: I think we sent it back 4 times?! :o

7. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

i dont have any problem with my asus 9600xt yet.. but it did cost me a bomb :p

8. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

This is the same thing as asking whether Intel or AMD is better. That changes all the time.

Best thing would be to evaluate the graphics cards of the price range you are looking for, and determining which offers you the best performance for your money.

Even if one manufacturer is superior at a point in time, they may still have some hiccups with some SKUs.

9. SAMSAMHA

SAMSAMHA Newbie

I think they are equally good. NVIDIA has been good for awhile with the SLI and recent release of 8800, but don't forget ATI has the crown all over the 9800 lines (though NVIDIA sure is enjoying the success of the mobo and gfx for awhile now).

Let's hope that with the help of AMD, ATI maybe able to bring some competition to the market.

10. Adrian Wong

Yup.. Competition is always good. :thumb:

11. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

One of my friend's 9800 Radeon just stopped working a few months ago. It seems that many 9800s have the habit of dying.

But I think the newer cards are much okay - like the X1x00 series. :rolleyes:

12. Chai

LOL
    Max87's X1800XL... :haha: He changed the card 3 times!

1. Card died without warning.
    2. Shader 3 showing corruption.
    3. Same problem as above.

And I heard from someone, his X1900XTX has the same problem, Shader 3 scenes showing corruption.

I think I lose faith in ATI, and I don't really like Nvidia. So what should I get? :faint:

13. Adrian Wong

Wait for Bitboyz Oy!!! :twisted: :haha: :haha:

14. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

I think the 9800 stock cooler wasn't enough to deal with the heat, so maybe that's why they don't last very long :lol:

I love ATI's software voltage adjustments though, so after using that it will take a lot to convince me to go green again. :mrgreen:

15. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! It was cooled each time using an Arctic Cooling HSF (the first aluminum piece one.)

16. Chai

Cooling was not an issue because we are never happy with stock coolers, LMAO!

17. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! Thats true.... :p As far as cooling goes, I keep nothing stock... LOL!

I get an uneasy feeling if something is being cooled by stock cooling... :p

18. Max_87

Max_87 huehuehue

Actually it should be:

1. Card died without warning. (9800 Pro)
    2. Card suddenly started artifacting + shader 3 corruption. (X1800XL)
    3. Card artifacting + shader 3 corruption on the 1st day I plug in the card. (X1800XL)
    4. Finally got a card that works properly @ stock :haha:

You helped me to get the card replaced, twice! Really thanks a lot :D

The NVIDIA cards are dying too, not just ATI :haha: My friend's 6600GT just died not long ago without warning and he doesn't even overclock his card.

I guess it doesn't really matter too much for me now, I don't game as much as I was 1 or 2 years ago. Just get a cheap card, if die also not so 'sim tia' :haha:

19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, I've had problems with 6600GT cards (my friend runs two of em in his two pcs at home.) Both tend to overheat a lot (it was artifacting like mad and we traced it to the card overheating.)

20. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

The 6600GT are still based on 130nm architecture right? Maybe the old architecture gave lotsa heat... :D