Which wide-angle lens to get?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Adrian Wong, May 25, 2008.

1. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Ahhh... No thank you, the price tag is way beyond my means. I will stick with the D300 and ISO 800-1600. :haha: :haha:

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Well unless you are seriously getting FF in the future, I would not recommend 14-24. Pricing is one, the other thing is the front elements doesn't support any filter. I use a lot of filter when doing landscape so is a big issue to me.

3. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. What filters do you use, other than circular polarizer?

Yeah, I don't think the 14-24mm is suitable for DX cameras. Seems like a real waste.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

normally my preference of wider aperture is only for bokeh and certain low-light stuff.

for UWA + low-light, i'll be using tripod.

what think is nice about the Tokina 11-16 is not so much of the wide aperture but the constant aperture.

5. Adrian Wong

Well, same thing right? Basically wider aperture throughout the zoom range. :mrgreen:

Then again, it's not much of a zoom. Only 11-16mm... On a Nikon DX camera, that's 16.5mm to 24mm.

The Sigma 10-20mm is slightly wider (1mm), and has a much wider range.

6. sherren

sherren Newbie

I'll say the Siggy 10-20mm :mrgreen: :beer:

7. goldfries

oh. what i'm saying is that i'm not so much attracted by the wide aperture (eg f2.8) but i like that it can have constant aperture.

if i go at 16 also i still can have it at say f4. which unlike the siggy 10-20, at 20mm it drops to f5.6. that's quite a fair bit of light reduced compared to f4.0, shutter also have to be 50% slower.

8. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Hmm is the tokina really that sharp?
    http://images35.fotki.com/v1169/fileOE8m/ae7da/1/1308098/6182575/IMG_967001.jpg

Saw a sample at f2.8. don't look all that sharp. But at the price of the Tokina's i suppose it's bareable :p

Anyways, at 11mm, DOF at f2.8 should be fine and not be worried about.

Online Depth of Field Calculator - do your own calculation
    11mm at f2.8

Subject distance 30 cm
    Depth of field
    Near limit 26.4 cm
    Far limit 34.7 cm
    Total 8.26 cm

In front of subject 3.57 cm (43%)
    Behind subject 4.69 cm (57%)

Hyperfocal distance 215 cm
    Circle of confusion 0.02 mm

Subject distance 1 m
    Depth of field
    Near limit 0.68 m
    Far limit 1.86 m
    Total 1.18 m

In front of subject 0.32 m (27%)
    Behind subject 0.86 m (73%)

Hyperfocal distance 2.15 m
    Circle of confusion 0.02 mm

9. Adrian Wong

Looks quite blur at the corners, but then again, it's not a really good shot, with the center aimed at bright sunlight. Cannot really tell how sharp it is at the center. :think:

10. Falcone

ND and ND Grad filters.

11. Adrian Wong

Oh, okay... Must start a topic on that! :D

12. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

According to Ken Rockwell (normally I don't refer to him), photozone, and a number of sites, this is one of the sharpest DX UWA lens.

Šg‘å‰æ‘œ

At F3.2, the corner looks sharp, when it's on the same focus plane.

For me, F2.8 is for more accurate focus, brighter viewfinder, and better low light ability. DOF is the least of my concern, especially at such wide angle. I have 80-200 f2.8 to handle the bokeh. :p

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  13. goldfries

DOF = preferential :)

anyway i haven't bought any other filters for my UWA - damn expensive. :p

eyeing on CPL but it's gonna cost quite a fair bit. I'm also considering Cokin's ND filters like http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/cokinZ.htm

14. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes, DOF is preferential, but why would you want to use UWA to achieve thin DOF?

15. Adrian Wong

I don't think anyone would use a UWA lens for thin DoF.

Besides, as Ken pointed out earlier.. for the 11mm at f/2.8, the DoF is about 8 cm at a distance of 30 cm, and 1.18 m at a distance of 1 m.

16. Adrian Wong

The Tokina 11-16mm just hit our shores. Going for around RM 2350 (US$ 760) with filter and Lowepro bag, 1 year local warranty and 2 years international warranty.

There are people selling imported models for RM 2150 (US$ 700). According to them, there's no official distributor in Malaysia. Well, that's true. So I guess the company above is just handling the return to Tokina Japan for repairs for the first year.

What do you think about the price?

17. goldfries

ehh. i didn't say that ah.

which is why i said f2.8 is not a factor that attracts me when it comes to UWA, cos i personally wouldn't want thin DOF on my UWA shot. :)

18. goldfries

Adrian,

I just got info that

Tokina ATX-Pro 116/2.8. is around ~RM2.2k at YL camera. :)

19. Adrian Wong

Just the lens only, right? I think the other company included the filter and Lowepro bag just to bump up the price.

Hmm.. Or should I get it from this other importer (at lelong?) selling at RM 2150? Don't think he has a shop though....

20. Falcone

For 50 bucks, i'll pay for the shop:faint: :faint: :faint: