Windows 7 frozen for 40-50secs when woken up.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Shadowrun, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Hi!

If I leave my PC on and come back 40 min later and press a key or mouse button to wake it up, it lasts around 50secs to get full control. Meanwhile cursor moves around but buttons or keys don't work at all. First time I thought I had to hard reset.

Even if I leave any high-cpu usage process (such as BOINC for distributed coimputing) or only P2P or nothing at all, it behaves always the same.

Anyone with same behaviour ?

2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. That's really odd behaviour. Never experienced it before.

Perhaps, you should try leaving the Task Manager (Processes tab) running on top before letting the computer "sleep". Then when you wake it up, check and see which process is taking up a lot of CPU time. If nothing's using up CPU resources, check and see if you spot any process gobbling up memory.

3. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Nice trick. Because I tried to open taskmanager when I got full control but it was too late. xD

I'll check it out. :)

4. Adrian Wong

I know. What you should do is leave Task Manager running on top of everything else before you let it sleep. In fact, it's best to leave it showing the Processes tab, so when you wake up the computer, it should instantly show you the processes and what they are doing.

5. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Aaargh!! I did it twice with task manager and PC didn't fail.

I'll keep trying. :)

6. Adrian Wong

LOL! There's a ghost in your machine and it knows you are trying to track it down! :haha:

7. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Any chance it might be caused by a energy-saving option?

Switiching off hard drive after 20min for example?

8. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Yes it is possible. Change the power saving options to maximum performance.

9. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Okk.. after 1 f*cking week working on this, I found the problem:

* Everytime I leave any applicationj open (foreground) PC behaves correctly: it reacts very quick. No matter what applications are running.

* Problem comes when I minimized everything. No matter what applications are running. PC responds after 40-50secs.

And I have "high performance" energy option.

At least I've localized the problem and i can search in google with more precision.

EDIT: Ok, since Win7 RC people with same problem: Why Does My Windows 7 PC Freeze After Waking from Sleep? - Super User

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  10. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I never experience such problem. hmm...

11. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Me neither, and I use sleep quite often.

12. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

I found this: Sounds like Bios setting needs changed

"...companies have Bios upgrades, constantly changing things.
    Probably the setting which is causing your problem is under power management setup - make sure the Suspend state is set on S1, not S3. My Windows 7 PC had a similar problem with the Suspend state on S3. Try this fix first."

Truth is I've updated BIOS a few months ago and it has S3 option activated. If i recall correctly I didnt have this problem before this update.

Win7-32bits with Corei7-860 (gigabyte motherboard).

I'll try later this fix.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  13. Adrian Wong

Hmm.. So it's a S1 vs S3 problem??? :think: