Windows 7 installation BSOD

Discussion in 'General Software' started by karhoe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I got BSOD under 7 64bit and Vista 32bit, the dump file was from 32bit vista

I flashed the latest BIOS already, and it indeed came with the latest BIOS, alright would try that :)

Tried to downgrade bios from F10 to F5, same issue

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Wow.. Even BSOD on Vista???? :think:

Okay, how about this.. Go into the BIOS and reset everything to the factory defaults.

If you can get some screenshots of the BIOS settings before you reset them, grab some and post here. I can help look at them.

3. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Actually I tried that also.

Right after I downgraded the BIOS, the PC wouldn't boot, then I realized I have to clear CMOS, and that's exactly what I did.

So now, it's literally at factory defaults, even clock and time is reset.

Which BIOS settings do you want

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

If you can, just take photos of all of the BIOS pages so we can have a look at the settings you are using right now.

5. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

What monitor do you use and is connected on DVI or D-Sub? From the dmp file the culprit is indeed atikmdag.sys.

6. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I tried both DVI and D-sub, same error.

7. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

8. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

I came across that before, I believe the whole issues lies within the motherboard, why should I be going through all this hassle for a new motherboard?

I read that forum, on Vista, the error occured right after I installed CCC, which means that driver is the issue, but what should I do about it?

I plan to run Windows 7, and windows 7 comes with ATI drivers bundled which pops that BSOD straight away

I'll go back to the distributor on Tuesday.

Thanks guys for all your assistance, I will still post up the BIOS just incase if some configuration could help it.

Btw, it's such a disappointment, if that motherboard gets replaced this Tuesday, it would be the FOURTH same motherboard within a year

9. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Still you're not the only one with the same problem, not that should give you any comfort, and it's not related to the same motherboard/video card. Users with nVidia cards or other motherboards experienced the same problem with Vista and Windows 7. In another way it also should be a manufacturer problem because they stick a Vista or W7 certified logo on their product and that product is a mess!

10. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Will you be so kind and post your system specs including the PSU? And the complete error code from BSOD! A screenshot would be enough. Also search for a debuglog.txt on your hdd.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  11. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Hi, here's the specs

Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    Team PC6400 1GB DDR2 800 x 2
    WD3200KS 320GB SATA 3GB 16MB
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
    Silverstone ST400
    HDMI cable
    Pioneer SATA DVDRW
    Aztech WiFi USB
    Genius wireless Keyboard with integrated mouse
    XQBOX HTPC 200

Actually I already installed back Windows 7 OS in anticipation of changing the motherboard. I can roll back to Vista easily as I have made a system image in D drive

12. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

Can you remove anything that is not needed at installation (external drives, usb stick, external wifi) and re-install the system (or boot without them), also have you tried with one memory stick at a time?

13. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Actually I tried those.

I swapped SATA ports, I swapped SATA cables, I swapped RAM slots, I removed one RAM stick, then tried the other RAM stick, no wifi card, no thumbdrive during installation.

The only left is to swap processor lol

14. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD BOG Translator

In that case and after reading the dump files the only way to get rid of this is to replace the board. It's all related to onboard video (drivers and / or faulty chip).

Little extras from debuglog I've managed to dump from your files:
    VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) - an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed
    DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT
    DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4a5d4155
    FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_atikmdag.sys
    BUCKET_ID: 0x116_IMAGE_atikmdag.sys

I'm sorry we couldn't help you solve the problem :(

15. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

No prob, thanks all of you.

I'll just make a short trip back to the distributor, it's quite near to my house :D

I guess I must be the unluckiest customer ever, to have 4 mobos in one year

16. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What motherboard is this?

17. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H

And when you go to the distributor office, it's not like those shops at lowyat, it's self service, you want to replace motherboard? Rip it off from the casing, take out your processors, take out the RAM, give me the board, and I'll test it for you.

My only fear is that when I reached there, they replace a new motherboard and it results in the same BSOD.

That would point finger to the Hard Disk / DVDRW / Processor.

18. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

If that's the case, at least they solved part of your problem.

19. Lacus

Lacus Newbie

ooh, been busy lately..i guess that Distributor should be at pj area right? really weird issue though :/...you actually rma the board 4 times?

20. karhoe

karhoe Newbie

At Desa Petaling,

Including this upcoming Tuesday, it would be my 3rd RMA, 4th motherboard la