Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by 1031982, Dec 12, 2015.

?

Stay with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10

1. Windows 7

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Windows 10

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I got a new build going, and will be doing the final transfer of hardware later this week.
    This also means a new install of Windows. Fortunately, I have a retail license for Windows 7, and the old system will be be useless so I can transfer that over as well as the rest of my software.
    My question is should I stuck with Windows 7 or move on up to Windows 10?
    My concerns are about the privacy of my data. I intend to disable a lot, if not all the tracking stuff but I know I need some other stuff to really disable it all. I keep my own backups of stuff using external HDD's and cloud services.
    I don't care for things like Cortana or system theme settings being synchronized, etc.
    I will use the mail app, One Drive, and possibly some other built in stuff.
    I don't want all this stuff going to MS, and I don't want there keylogger running or even installed if possible to remove.
    I will be using it for College classes and games.

EDIT : Changed when I'll be doing the transfer.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Personally, I don't like Windows 10 at all. It offers nothing over Windows 8.1 IMO, and it's "harder" to use because of the major UI change. But I know many will not agree with me. :haha: Most don't really care about privacy though.

3. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

I love Win10. I think gaming performance is improved.

I can see the argument between Win 8.1 vs Win 10. But given a choice between Win 7 and Win10? Easy decision.

4. Trinity

Trinity Little Kiki Staff Member

I'm loving the Window 7 Ultimate that I won in a contest here years ago.:arp: I never used it until I built Ginny a year or so ago. So I'm finally getting used to it.:lol:

The only reason I would like to try windows 10 is so that I could talk 'dirty' with Cortana...:shifty::haha:

"Hey Cortana, Would you rather......."? :twisted::haha: I could go on and on...:lol:

5. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

Well, for asking Cortana stuff I have my phone. I got a Lumia 950, so I can ask her whatever I want. Got some interesting responses.

6. belikethat

belikethat Just Started

Well i dislike window 8,8.1
    but we all have to move forward. so my pick is window 10

7. Trinity

I'm with Chai on this one.:)

'Major UI Change'...:think::confused::wall::faint:

8. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

I kind of stopped at 7, didn't care about 8/8.1/10 because of the UI. But, if I'm building a system, I wouldn't mind jumping to 10 to give it a try, plus you get to utilize the free upgrade until end of this year?

9. Trinity

I use Ginny to watch DVD's all the time. I heard 10 won't play DVD's unless you buy a new program.

10. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

It is quite easy to make Windows 8.1 to look like win7. But doing that on winx is a different story...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

You can download free programs that will play it (like VLC).

How to Play DVDs for Free in Windows 10 - IGN

12. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

I have Windows 10s upgraded from the 7s on my laptops. They are great to use, and quite responsive. :)

13. 1031982

1031982 Just Started

I just spent the last three hours trying to get win10 working with my soundcard. It's older, but I'm holding onto it for now because of the hardware DD & DTS decoding.
    If I can't get it all working nicely after another fresh install, I'm staying with 7.

14. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

my view:

win10's hyperv is really good! RemoteFX vgpu is now supported with the arrival of 2015-nov update. I can finally say goodbye to vmware workstation. virtualbox is great but its gpu support is really buggy. nothing beats a proper hypervisor that can tap into your gpu power. better sleep support too for win10 machine with hyperv enabled.

win10 doesn't really offer alot over 8.1. to be honest, UI and UX aside the windows platform has not evolved significantly since Vista, or has it? the role of app dev has been taken over by .net
    the biggest platform leap to me is actually Vista. HAL agnostic, serviceable images, vss, accelerated UI and desktop manager, hybrid sleep, a supercharged caching system and taking the driver space out of the kernel, both sound (and a much improved stack, with a direct path option) and graphics etc... they change everything. Win server core is the best example of the versatility of the new NT kernel in Vista. it shows just how well Microsoft has decoupled all the parts in the os.

I remembered my GPU crashed due to bad overclocking, the entire driver stack restarted without affecting the running OS. I have not overclocked my pc for many many years, but I still encounter "on the fly" NV driver restart once every 1-2 years. they mean different thing now of course... these events are now "dusting time!" reminder... hahaha.

I view the metro app platform in win10 as the second biggest change since Vista. but this thing has not picked up any meaningful momentum so far. I only managed to spent less than an hour playing with the default apps on Win10. i think it's agreeable that this app platform is not even v1.0. Azure AD integration in win10, and that whole Azure cloud stack + office365 as amatter of fact is the biggest feature since Vista that will change Windows moving forward, and how enterprises design their IT (the Azure AD + onprem AD sync is really really really awesome). I think Azure platform and services will play a huge part in Windows, maybe not directly under the Azure brand but alot of consumer services will be built on it.

7, 8, 10, 2008, all the R2s, are built on the same platform introduced in Vista, I'm not sure why power users are complaining so much. the UI and UX have changed significantly, but fundamentally they have not really affected the way I use and understand windows. it's still Windows! The same goes to OSX, UI wise they have evolved so much since 10.5/6 but the dna remains identical. it's still a Unix! if you are a power user and you are comfortable with osx you will be comfortable with linux, & vice versa. when things don't go your way, bring up the terminal (or ps if you are win users)! I hope you get what i mean.

Win10 is a slicker 8.1, which is nice, but the metro apps is very crash prone (I don't use any of them anyway). I still like it, just like how I appreciate vista, 7 8, 8.1. In case you think I'm a fanboy (because I like vista?), i use 10.5, 6 7 8 9 10 11 at work, alot of centos, and alot of redhat. i fucking use everything, and i appreciate all of them, except fucking drupal, which is not an OS but still a piece of crap. drupal is the smelliest piece of shit.

15. zy

Drupal. :wall:

Another thing nice about Windows 10 is that it will automatically grab most of the required drivers for newer computers.
    Unlike Windows 7, if you have only USB3 ports, and using a usb drive, you'll need to integrate the USB3 drivers into the installation files.

16. GRexer

GRexer Newbie

Myself prefer Windows 7 at the moment, upgraded and tried Windows 10 but reverted as the Major UI change really isn't something I am getting used to. Might be sticking with Windows 7 for a while more.

17. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

In my personal experience, Windows 10 is definitely better than Windows 7, especially for older computers built BEFORE Windows 7.

It is definitely faster than Windows 7, and easy to transition if you are used to Windows 7. The upgrade process is virtually painless...

Windows 10 has its downsides though...

1. It's VERY chatty, reporting whatever you do to Microsoft by default
    2. It automatically updates and reboots, which is very irritating and dangerous because it force boots without closing opened documents / apps.
    3. Microsoft Edge is buggy. It's faster, but it's so buggy, I ended up using Chrome and Firefox instead.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, you can use your current Windows 7/8 licence key to install Windows 10, instead of installing Windows 7/8 and then upgrading to Windows 10.

18. zy

Too late. :wall: But maybe I can try with one of my Windows 7 keys when I have time, do you know when the Windows 10 upgrade will end? I'm hoping to rebuild my main machine, windows 10 + uefi setup instead of legacy bios (which i use with windows 7).

19. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Microsoft gave everyone one year, so the offer should end on the 29th of July 2016.

20. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

win7/8 key can only be used on v2015-nov. RTM will not accept it.