Windows 7 / Vista sound system

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Shadowrun, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

I've just installed Windows 7.

I have problems with volume.

I have this volume for my "USB audio device":
    [​IMG]
    "SPEAKERS" and "System Sounds"

However, when there is a sound coming out from Chrome (flash or video) or I start a new application which uses sound card , sound surpasses that limit and sounds xtremely HIGH. I can see its level in Windows mixer:

[​IMG]

How can I limit every volume that goes to my USB sound card?
    Should I disable on-board audio?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. That's a new problem. :think:

Are you using the latest Windows 7 driver for the USB sound card?

3. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Hmmm... I've searched "USB audio device driver" and it says is an standard driver that comes with Windows (I've updated from "Update driver" and it told me it was the last version).

However, I've seen two posts which have problems with this same device (USB Headset 5.1) once they moved from XP to Vista or to Win7.

So I guess it's something not well supported by new Windows sound system. :(

Thanks, Adrian! :)

4. Adrian Wong

I would suggest downloading and installing the device-specific driver, instead of relying on the generic Windows 7 driver. :think:

5. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

6. Adrian Wong

Oh, sorry. I just realized you are delivering the sound directly to your USB headphones.

I'm not exactly sure, but if you are using USB to deliver sound to your headphones, then the audio control should be on your headphones. I don't think USB allows the volume to be controlled as you would with an analog speaker jack.

7. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

My headset does have a volume control! Adrian, you are fortune-teller, arent u??!

I just wanted not to use that hardware volume. ^^

8. Adrian Wong

I understand, but if I'm not mistaken, the software volume control doesn't work for USB because the audio stream is sent directly to the headphones instead of going through a sound card or onboard audio chip. :(

9. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Hmmmm... that makes sense......

But it didn't happen with WinXP sound system. ^^

So, I'll pump volume up so every sound is at 100% no matter applaication is opened and I'll use hardware volume. :))

Thanks, Adrian!!! :**

10. Adrian Wong

You mean the software audio control worked in Windows XP? :think:

AFAIK, when it comes to USB audio devices, the audio stream is directly sent to the device.

If you output to a USB sound card, it is possible for the sound card driver to control the volume, but I don't think that's possible for a USB headset... :think:

11. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

"when it comes to USB audio devices, the audio stream is directly sent to the device."

When I connect USB headset in Win7, it shows up in Windows mixer as "SPEAKERS". When I disconnect it, windows mixer is empty.
    So, when you see "speakers " on the previous screenshot that is my headset. ^^

In XP, windows recognised it as "Plantornics 5.1 Headset".

12. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

Have you tried to see if there is a driver update via windows update?

13. Shadowrun

Shadowrun Newbie

Yeah.. I said so before. ;)

BUt it's OK now. I'll control hardware volume while leaving Windows volume at 90% :)

14. Adrian Wong

In that case, you are probably using a generic USB speaker driver, instead of a proper one for your headset. Why not try downloading a Windows 7 driver for your Plantronics 5.1 headset?

15. whitefish

whitefish Newbie

Re. Windows 7

I am also having a problem with Windows 7, although I have only tested the pre-release version. It seems audio output is not constant, i.e. there are occasional crackles. Perhaps it has something to do with my wireless headphones (see http://www.amphony.com) but I am not having this problem with Windows XP on the exact same computer. Any ideas anyone? Is this a problem that got fixed in the final release?

16. Adrian Wong

No, never had a problem with sound crackles in Windows 7. If you hear such crackles, it's most likely due to the driver.