Windows Vista Boot Issue (MBR?)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Crimsonfox, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Crimsonfox

Crimsonfox Newbie

So I turned my PC on this morning to be greeted by the flashing white cursor after the MB splash screen. I uninstalled a few things last night and was cleaning up in general so something's gone wrong somewhere and as far as I can tell, broken my MBR.

I'm running Vista 64-bit and I do not have the original installation disc. P5Q Asus MB, 4GB RAM, NVidia 9800GTX

I've tried booting the Vista Recovery Disc and all I get is the blinking underscore. Though if I boot a 32-bit version it seems to actually load up the recovery center but won't let me do anything because it's an incorrect version of Vista. I have tried booting an friends Vista64 disc with no luck.

The Vista recovery disc was from Neosmart.

I have tried creating a bootable USB with all of these things on, most of the time it doesn't work. The closest I have got so far is by using Rufus but I get the message "BOOTMGR" missing.

Tried EasyBCD but when I deploy the bootloader onto my USB it gets to the end and simply says my USB needs formatting, then Windows does so it just ends up in a loop.

So I'm out of ideas now, I looked into using Windows AIK but I really get lost.

I hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction. =/

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Is the HDD still working? Did you try to fix the MBR?

3. Crimsonfox

Crimsonfox Newbie

HDD was presumably fine and as I said before I couldn't boot so there was no way to fix the MBR.

Luckily, after trying about another 5 pieces of software and finding WinBootic I managed to create a working bootable USB with an unofficial Vista Recovery Disc ISO on it so ran all of bootrec's options and it's fine.

No idea why I couldn't boot from any of the discs apart from the 32highest bit one or why bootrec said it didn't detect any Windows installations but it's working now thank goodness.

4. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Did you try to take out the HDD and plug into another machine as secondary drive?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Did you happen to enable or disable ACPI in the BIOS?

I find it odd that you cannot even boot up using USB... :think:

Maybe try resetting the CMOS settings completely. You may need to turn off power to the PC and remove the CMOS battery for a minute or so.

6. Feleciash

Feleciash Newbie

Windows Vista Boot Issue MBR

Everything was working fine on Windows 7. Now, I am attempting to run TTD Patch on Windows 8 and the screen is very small. Has anyone encountered this issue?