Windows warning

Discussion in 'General Software' started by doraemon, Apr 25, 2006.

1. fyire

fyire Newbie

Noticed that bit in the article about killing a process then deleting the file for the process, and the split second timing required for it. A workaround will be to use cygwin (just install the very bare minimum with the bash shell). Inside the bash prompt, navigate over to the /windows/system32, and do a rm -rf on the file before killing the process.

cygwin from what I remember ignores those file locks for processes that r still running and wipes the file anyways

2. But didn't Bill Gates just "pirate" dos (from another guy. well, not really pirate. he bought it from the guy. can't remember his name. :D) and windows from apple? :shifty:

My country is not affected by this warning thingy yet and I already turned auto updates off. :haha:

3. fyire

fyire Newbie

u realize that this approach means no more updates for u? until that popup thingy is cracked that is at least.

but still.. get a Mac anyways :)

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Well buying and pirating is different things... :mrgreen: It started out as QDOS and Microsoft bought the non exclusive rights to use it and renamed it as PC-DOS. Bill Gates didnt start out by making Operating systems but instead he started by making BASIC languages. :D

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

You can buy the OEM license if it comes with a piece of hardware. Like a mouse, perhaps? :wicked:

6. t-shirt

t-shirt Newbie

MS said at the end of last year they would start to get more picky about what hardware qualified for OEM versions (MB, CPU, HD, and maybe GPU) but now I think they are just happy to get you to buy any version.
    We should start to to see version that come with a vista upgrade certificate available soon.

7. Adrian Wong

Seriously, how do they expect to combat piracy if they intend to charge ridiculous amounts of money for retail copies? :doh:

8. Papercut

Papercut Newbie

Same, although I actually use a legit copy of WinXP :shifty:

What, I got it cheap from Uni :shifty:
    Stop looking at me like that :shifty:

Or Linux? :mrgreen:

9. fyire

fyire Newbie

Let's see.. by tossing lawsuits aka RIIA style? :) Kinda a pity that MS r not as dumb when it comes to PR as the RIIA though..

10. fyire

fyire Newbie

get a real Unix! Open/Net/Free BSD :)

11. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Well, he bought it from that guy and license DOS back to that guy. Darn funny if you ask me. Bill Gates is the man. :thumb:

He didn't get windows from Apple. He got the idea of using mouse, GUI and he got people from Xerox who were researching on GUI and pointing device (am I right?), the same place Apple got their people from. So... Bill Gates is DA MAN! :mrgreen: :dance:

But now with Google in the horizon, wonder whether he can survive this wave or not. Things are getting real interesting... :lol:

I'm finishing Adrian's book, Hard Drive, very soon. :shifty: Paiseh huh Adrian. :mrgreen:

12. Adrian Wong

OMG Dashken, you have NOT finished it yet?????? :doh: :doh:

13. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

20-30 more pages. :shifty:

14. I don't remember where I read it (maybe somewhere in here:haha: ) that Mac OSX is actually vulnerable and bug-laden as Windows is. Pretty soon, viruses will also be attacking them. :?

Watch out dashkie!! Or Adrian might come after you and spank you!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

15. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

Wow... you guys really kinky huh. Watched Brokeback Mountain already? :mrgreen:

16. Dude, I wasn't even implying anything sexual here!! :p :haha: :thumb: