Wireless Internet Problem

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by CompactNinja, Jun 15, 2006.

1. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

54 MBPS to 1.0 MBPS But with excellent signal?

I am using the Linksys WRT54GS Wirelss-G Broadband Router 802.11G 54MBPS w/ Speedbooster

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12259&vpn=WRT54GS&manufacture=Linksys

I've had this problem TOO many times that I'm asking you guys for a solution

Usually my router is fine... fast load times yada yada yada

but lately, the "Speed" drops to literally 1.0 MBPS, causing everything that uses internet (MSN, CS at some points) to stop responding... yet the "Signal Strength" is still excellent.

The computer that is wired to the router (which is downstairs, exactly below my computer's wirelss card, all it has to go through is the floor) has no problems whatsoever when I'm experiencing LAG upstairs, and is not downloading anything at all.

Eventually, the router stops responding, so then i have no internet at all, i usually have to run downstairs to restart the router, or my computer. :nuts:

By the way, my computer is also using the LINKSYS WMP54GS WIRELESS-G PCI NETWORK CARD 802.11G 54MBPS 2.4GHZ W/ SPEEDBOOSTER and there are no updates available from the Linksys Website

Any suggestions??:think: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :wall:

2. Falcone

Falcone Official Mascot Creator

Try changing to other channel. And try patching the firmware.

3. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

That's why I hate wireless. They are just so unreliable, even the Cisco corporate use APs...much better than home APs, but still crashes every now and then...

4. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

When i try to change channels, my wireless adapter can't pick up the router's signal, so i have to go downstairs and set it back to the default channel (6) :wall: :wall:

5. Falcone

Did you refresh ur wireless detection??? Are u broadcasting ur SSID or setting it mannually.

6. Das Capitolin

Das Capitolin Newbie

First, make sure that you have covered all of the obvious problems: cordless phones, 2-way radios, and other wireless devices that may use the same band inside of your reception range. The U.S. is limited to 11 channels on each band, and your router runs on the 2.4GHz band; the most common band of radio for household devices.

Normally, if you have a cordless phone system it occupies one channel on the band and your WRT54GS will see that channel is occupied and drop connection to join another channel. However if your WRT54GS hops channels and then another device, such as another WiFi router or a neighbors phone occupy that same channel, it will drop and find a new channel. This 'could' be the problem, but you will be the only one to know since your post does not mention neighborhood networks or phones.

Other then this, you should consider setting your WRT54GS off of auto channel selection and give it a static channel. The range of channels has very little seperation in physical range, although to a very minute degree the lowest channels have slightly longer range then the highest channels. Most devices start at the low channels for this reason, which is why I suggest going to channels 9-11.

Let me know what you find for surrounding networks, and we can start there. But if you are in a very crowded wireless network, along with cordless phones and two-way enabled cell phones, the troubleshooting may get more difficult.

7. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

Wow, thanks for the help, i tried changing my channels again to 9 and it worked! :dance: Let's hope it doesn't cut out on me.

Oh any sorry about not mentioning before, that my neighbours next door also have a wireless network around the house and my adapter can pick it up.. it was also on channel 6.

8. Falcone

Most likely is conflicting with ur neighbour then.....:faint: :faint: :faint:

9. Fabulous

Fabulous Newbie

is your network secured? maybe ur leaking out bandwidth. maybe you got a cordless phone interupting your network. i know that for sure cause it happens to my brothers computer always disconnects the wireless connection. but try updating your firmware if its not updated. or maybe your router is broken.