Wireless Internet problem

Discussion in 'Internet & Networking' started by david_w14, Jul 15, 2006.

1. david_w14

david_w14 Newbie

I have an ASUS laptop with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. I use a ASUS AP WL-330 access point as the way I connect to the internet. The acesss point is connected to a switch, which in turn is connected to my ADSL modem. Recently, my connection speed drops from the original 11.0 mbps to 5.5 mbps, to 2.0 mbps, then to 1.0 mbps. Sometimes, it drops from 11.0 mbps right to 1.0 mbps and my internet goes from connected to have limited connection ability. Sometimes I cannot renew my IP address, sometimes I cannot even connect to wireless internet. I would have to restart, unplug than replug the access point, basically mess around with things and the connection sometimes comes back. It is however, not stable. At first I thought it was the wall between the access point and my computer that was causing this disconnection problem, so I took the laptop out from my room into the living around 50m from the access point. Internet still dies from time to time. I removed the cordless phone in the living room as well, but it still does the same thing. I am clueless as to why this is the case. Any help would be appreciated.

2. CompactNinja

CompactNinja Newbie

3. david_w14

david_w14 Newbie

I read your thread, but you are using a router while I am using a switch + access point. It is a bit different.

4. goldfries

goldfries www.goldfries.com

it could be from many problems, i've known of company's internet connection being unstable until firmware upgrade was done.

try upgrading firmware for whatever device you have that can be upgraded.

it looks like your AP could either be faulty or you might need to upgrade firmware.

it it's new, i recommend you to bring to the shop you bought it from and ask them to help out - or at least give another unit to you to try out.

other things i'd like you to tell us, would be whether you have secured your WiFi signal with any form of encryption? ie. WEP / WPA?

5. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Hmm.. Have you tried switching to a different WiFi channel? :think: