workgroup troubleshoot, please help!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by thrqn, Dec 27, 2007.

1. thrqn

thrqn Newbie

i have 3 computers in my house. they are connected via router. two computers can see the third one, but they can't see each other. those two that can't see each other have windows xp black, and the third one which is seen by all has regular windows xp.
    the work group has a unique name on all 3 computers.
    when i go to start->run-> name of the 2nd computer, it says: ..is not accessible.etc. logion failure etc.
    when i do that on the 2nd computer and type the name of my computer, it sees it. but it still doesn't show it in 'view workgroup computers'.
    the windows firewall is off on the 2nd computer, i use zone alarm but i shut it down, and still nothing.
    can anyone help, please?
    thanks.

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

What do you mean by Windows Black?

3. thrqn

thrqn Newbie

well more or less the same old windows xp.

4. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Are they set to use the same workgroup?

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Black to me sounds like Corp .... I think you might need to be a bit more specific on your OS's and specs for members to help :)

6. elton

elton WhAtSuPdOc

If i assume all 3 pc are win xp/// few thing below you can try out

1. rejoin the problem PC to workroup again, and try to change the PC name see whether it work or not

2. make sure you login detail are wat you have on the pc you want to login to.

3. make sure all the PC are in the same IP segment and subnet mask are the same.

4. make sure you do not do any changes on the router

7. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

with XP, networking is ... iffy and sucky. There are permissions issues from time to time and worse, the issue seems random to me.

anyways. Is there any shared folders with permissions set to view for everyone on the 2nd PC? If none, it's possible that since nothing is shared, then XP denies any access to the machine by default.

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Pickin' Da Gitfiddle

Looking up at the last two posts solid advise :mrgreen:

On my point if your "black" is XP "Professional" then you have to have your administrator privileges set right and be logged in as admin ;)

9. Bestia(ry)

Bestia(ry) Mac'ster

XP Black = pirated XP-distro with a lot of additional (pirated) stuff.

Got many flaws and secu-problems, ppl say even malware
    is included, I dun recommend using this one.

Topic:
    Set network to fully boot before logon
    via group policies.