Worklog: Project King Kong II, Silverstone TJ07

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Cooling & Modding' started by ianho, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Wow...these filters are flow killers.

2. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

Ianho's definition is if it ain't pimp, it ain't worth it since he's got a powderful AC running

3. Are those white ATP3's i see on your desk? Did you just paint them white or is it the original color? I've never seen white ATP3's before. :shock:

4. ianho

ianho Newbie

@ Chai, yeah the internal temps go up a bit. I'm trying it out to c how for now. I may remove them later if I find the temps going up too much.

@ neverthar. LOL. BUT still, if my temps can be lower without the filters then I'd take them out coz the main priority is lower temps. I can live without filters, just need to spend a bit more time cleaning up dust bunnies n spend a bit more on canned air.

@ sprankiko. Those r limited edition ATP3. I bought them in New York, they're called The Big Apple Limited Edition. :wicked:

Nah, just kidding. I modified them to gif it the apple look so it matches my Apple monitors.

5. I thought so 'coz your sub was still black! Faker! :p :thumb: But they look nice, though. :thumb:

6. ianho

ianho Newbie

Here's what I did today.

I attached a MagLite Solitaire to the side of the ROM cage so that I can use the flashlight while working on the rig at night. This is so I can shine the light inside to reset my CMOS and all that. This was the MagLite mod.

[​IMG]

I found that the light from the MagLite was not bright enuf. It's really bright for such a small flashlight but not enuf for working on the rig at night. So I got myself a nice fat blue aluminum LED flashlight n put it in the rig. 1st thing I had to do was to get a bigger holder for it coz the holder for the MagLite was too small. Here's what I used.

[​IMG]

N here it is with the flashlight in it.

[​IMG]

Now comes the bad news. The flashlight is just a teeny weenie bit too fat n the snowflake window scrapes on it when I put the side panel back on. So, I removed the bracket n flashlight. Relocated it onto the motherboard tray like this. I now haf a really bright white light when I hafta work on the internals at night. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

7. ianho

ianho Newbie

OK. After going tru weeks of mods n the OS transition to Windows Vista. I finally got down to sorting out the pix. Here's the rest of the pix I have of King Kong II as it appeared at the Silverstone LANparty. More mods to come once I have the SG03 rig up n running. Then I can work on the TJ07 while my daily online work wont b interrupted.

Here comes the pix.

King Kong sitting on my new workstation which I renovated a few days after the LANparty.

[​IMG]

Front view. This is the front faceplate mod + super 2x120mm fan intake mod. This is so that the 2x8800GTX n super OCed X2 gets lotsa cool fresh air.

[​IMG]

Night shot of the rig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top window mod.

[​IMG]

Front 3/4 view.

[​IMG]

More pix coming right up.

8. ianho

ianho Newbie

here's the rest of the pics I have for now.

DVD tray open shot.

[​IMG]

Blue LED front button mod. Gave the button a nice blue glow.

[​IMG]

Clean look bottom compartment. Where'd all those loooooooooooooooong wires from the OP1000 go? :freak:

[​IMG]

Here's how the front 2x120mm fan intake mod looks like from the inside. I will be making some changes to this part later.

[​IMG]

King Kong sitting snugly in his new home together with his gal. :wub:

[​IMG]

Top 3/4 view of it sitting at home at the new workstation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  9. ianho

ianho Newbie

finally found sum time to play around with King Kong again. Here's a minor update.

Here's the new CPU heatsink I just received from my sponsor, Arctic Cooling. A nice lovely box which even comes with a nice AC pen. Even the pen is made in Switzerland just like the heatsink. :) Howzabout that for precision instruments? Even my writing will be more precise with that pen. :lol:

[​IMG]

????????????? What's that naughty fella doing in there?

[​IMG]

The beast is out of the box. Lil King Kong's all excited bout the new heatsink. :D

[​IMG]

King Kong gives the new heatsink a big thumbs up. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

The Freezer is a lovely hsf. Nice n light, uses stock mounting system, quiet. Let's take a closer look at the Freezer b4 I install it.

It comes with MX-1 paste on the base. Great stuff. Those who dont own MX-1 tubes can just slap this cooler on without worrying about thermal paste.

[​IMG]

Nice lil detail for modders here. Anyone noticed the fan wire? It's already sleeved in black. No ugly red, white, black n yellow wires here. Saved me some time right there.

[​IMG]

This pic shows a really nice feature of this heatsink. See those curved fins at the bottom part? They redirect air to blow down over the voltage converters of the mobo. Just perfect for my mobo.

[​IMG]

Next up was to unplug all the wires n remove the mobo tray from the case. Here's the whole tray with everything on it. This is what I love about removable mobo tray cases. Just pull the wires n the whole unit comes out so it's much easier to work on the hardware.

[​IMG]

Took out the 8800GTXs so I can remove the mobo from the tray. Wooooooooooooooooooooo, look at all the dust on the old heatsink. Gonna clean all that gunk off n gif it a nice coating of WD40 b4 I put it back in the box for storage in my dungeon.

[​IMG]

After taking off the old hsf, I gave the mobo a good blast with the good ol can of air. The mobo now looks good as new n ready for the new hsf.

[​IMG]

Next thing was to clean off the old MX1 paste so I'll only haf nice clean paste from the new hsf.

[​IMG]

This is the best part about this hsf. It uses the stock mounting. So I can play around with different thermal pastes n heatsinks when I do the hardware reviews. All it takes is to clip it down n it's done. When I need to review thermal pastes or heatsinks, I just unclip it n it's only a matter of a few seconds of work.

[​IMG]

Done. Everything installed but i figured it looks a bit plain. It's just silver with a black fan n there's no option to add a LED or UV fan.

[​IMG]

So............... I looked at the AC sticker that comes in the box n thought y not stick it on there to gif it sum bling bling. hehehe. Looks a whole lot better doncha think? It's such a small sticker but i reckon it makes so much difference to the looks. I may make an acrylic shroud for it later so I can mount the 90mm aluminum fans I bought earlier.

[​IMG]

The good thing about keeping the stock fan is that it doesn't obstruct the RAMs though. The RAMs come right out. If I make an acrylic shroud n use the aluminum fan then it'll most likely block the RAMs. This pic shows the stock fan sitting just above the RAMs but the RAMs come out easily.

[​IMG]

After I finished installing the new cooler, I decided to add sum "wheels" to the case. As u all know, this is an extremely heavy case. It sit's on top of my table n everytime I wanna access the back or move the case I hafta lift it up off the table n it's a back breaker. Soooooooooooooooo heavy. Not good for my old backbones. :lol: So........... I bought sum teflon feet from the hardware store n stuck em on to the stock feet. Now the case just slides around the top of the table like it's on ice. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Well, that's it for this episode of updates. more mods coming soon.................... I jsut need more TIMeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. If only there was 25 hours in a day.

10. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

fabulous!! :thumb: :thumb:

11. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

:thumb: nice

12. DanielDev

DanielDev Newbie

Everything is looking really nice :thumb:

13. Chai

Why change the cooler?

14. neverthar

neverthar Newbie

I"m guessing the old HSF was a pain as it made the mobo dirtier then what he's gonna use now

@ianho: compressed air still RM40/= a can at ACE ka?

15. ianho

ianho Newbie

Well, I was supposed to use the Freezer64 as Arctic Cooling is my sponsor. It just took a lil longer than expected to arrive. The CM is my own n I used that while waiting for the Freezer64. Surprisingly the Freezer64 is a lot smaller n quieter but it's only 3C hotter than the gemin. That's on a fresh coat of MX1 though. Once the MX1 cures, I'm pretty sure the load temp will drop 2-3C n have the same temps as the gemin. That's pretty phenomenal for such a small n quiet cooler. I'll be receiving the Freezer Extreme soon n that shud really kick butt. :thumb:

Yup, rm40 per can for the big huge Ambersil can. The ACE can has half the contents at rm20.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  16. ianho

ianho Newbie

here's sum stuff I did for King Kong just b4 the new hardware arrived. I decided to change out the fans n use the lovely Arctic Cooling 12cm PWM fans for my HDD racks.

Here's the 2 lovely beauties. A big thank you to Arctic Cooling for providing me with these fans. U guys shud go to the Arctic Cooling site n check these fans out. They're really special. There's a PWM sharing function which I havent seen on any other fans.

[​IMG]

Here's how the fan looks like. Plain black fan. No colors, no bling bling. Just the way Arctic Cooling has been. Just pure performance instead of going for looks. Note that the wire is nicely sleeved in black so that's a big bonus for modders. Nonid to waste time sleeving the fans.

[​IMG]

Installing the AC fans into the HDD racks.

[​IMG]

Done.

[​IMG]

After that I proceeded to install my new aluminum fans too.

Here they are in the back of the case as exhaust fans.

[​IMG]

Aluminum fans in the front too, as intake fans.

[​IMG]

Here's the back again with blue CCFLs turned on to show how the alu n chrome blades really haf a nice bling bling effect. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Wokeh, here's the update that I really love. New hardware!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: I've been waiting waiting waiting for teh AMD quad to arrive for such a long time. They kept delaying it until I oso fed up liao. So I decided not to wait anymore n jsut get the Intel quad as my AMD X2 jsut cudn handle the new multi core coded games like Bioshock anymore.

Here's the new hardware. A loooooooooooooovely Striker Extreme mobo, Q6600 CPU, sum small DX10 gfx cards for use as a 3rd gfx card. More story on teh 3rd gfx card later. Got sum drama 1. :lol:

[​IMG]

The very next day I went shopping in LYP again. Bought a boot full of stuff. After buying all that I had to go grocery shopping in Tesco. My wife took so long with the groceries. I was totally bored out of my mind so I decided to go back to the car to play around with the new stuff. I also decided to do a photo shoot right there in teh car park with my PDA's camera. :lol So many ppl were staring at this weird fella arranging stuff in the boot n taking pictures. Anywa, here's a list of teh stuff I bought. HP all in 1 printer, copier, fax, scanner. 2 ram heatspreaders in my favorite black. A PCI slot blower fan. A USB cup cooler n warmer. A special edition copy of PC.COM magazine, I dont read that mag but I bought it anyway coz i really like the metal box cover. :lol: Finally we come back to the small gfx card again. This time I bought an ATi 2400Pro.

[​IMG]

Now let's get back to the story about the gfx card. I actually bought a 8500GT n 8400GS earlier. I cudn decide which card I wanted to use as a 3rd card. So I bought both. Once I got home n took out the cards, I decided to use the 8400GS coz it's a half size card. the 8500GT is full sized. I prefer half size coz it sits on top of my 8800GTX n blocks the intake fan n also the exhaust slots on the back. The half sized 8400GS will allow the 8800GTX to haf better ventilation. My priority is always the performance of the GTX. So I spent the whole night trying to get the 3rd card working to power my 20" 2nd monitor while I SLI the 30" monitor. By sunrise oso cudnt do it. :lol: So I went to sleep after a frustrating night. Woke next day n started googling like a mad man to find out how to set up a 3 gfx card system. I then found out that for a 3 gfx card system to work with SLI I needed the 3rd gfx card to be ATi. :lol: Oh well, nothing like a lesson well learned the hard way. So, off I went to LYP again to buy the ATI 2400Pro.

[​IMG]

B4 I get on with this episode of updates, I'd like to apologise for the very, very poor quality pictures. I oni had a puny 2mp Sony camera to work with. My good camera wasnt with me at the time. Hope u guys enjoy the updates considering the pix r of such bad quality. :mad: :mad:

Wokeh, time to get on with the mods this time. Remember the PCI slot cooler I bought earlier. Well, I'm not using it in the PCI slot. I wanted it for the purpose of ventilating the area between my 2x 8800GTX. The area where the SLI bridge is, it's waaaaaaaaaaay too hot I tell u. The side panel is burning hot in that area after a few hours of gaming. Here's what I did to it.

Here's the fan with the metal plate removed. See that L shaped part that screws into teh PCI slot? I flattened it with a hammer after this pic was taken.

[​IMG]

After hammering the metal slot flat. I drilled 2 holes in the top n bottom of the plate so I can screw it into the back panel of the case. This is how it looks like installed in the case. I'm doing sum rewiring in this pic. I had to extend the wire longer n also changed the molex plug to a 3 pin mobo plug so I can just plug it into the mobo for neater wire management purposes. This Striker Extreme mobo has lotsa fan plugs in all the right places. Just perfect for overclockers n modders who need lotsa fans.

[​IMG]

Soldering the wire joints n covering with heatshrink. Then sleeving the wires in black for stealth look.

[​IMG]

All done. This is how it looks like now with the new mobo, new CPU, new fans, 3rd ATi gfx card all installed. U can see I've installed the stock Intel HSf coz I wanted to compare the temps n also measure the performance of the Arctic Cooling Freezer7Pro.

[​IMG]

After testing the stock heatsink to make sure everything was working nicely, I then proceeded to install a nice lovely Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which was kindly provided to me by E-Devices Sdn Bhd. :thumbs: Once again I thank them profusely. I cant thank them enuf for the support. The Q6600 overclocked to 3.0ghz was just burning hot with the stock heatsink. Everything is under control now with the Freezer 7 Pro.

As usual, I cleaned off the old paste n applied new paste. This time I used MX2, the latest thermal paste from Arctic Cooling.

[​IMG]

Freezer 7 Pro installed.

[​IMG]

Everything's back in the case now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A closer look at the 3rd gfx card installed between the 2x 8800GTX.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  17. ianho

ianho Newbie

Here's a lil sumthin I did over the weekend. I did a replica of King Kong in black. :wicked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Chai

I definitely prefer the black 'King King'. :mrgreen:

Will it be a completely new system?

19. eXPeri3nc3

eXPeri3nc3 Newbie

Black edition? Cool.

20. ianho

ianho Newbie

I actually built it for sum1 but I may just keep it. :)