Xbox 360!

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_YongGrand, Oct 8, 2007.

1. The_YongGrand

The_YongGrand Just Started

Hey there guys,

So, which Xbox suits me, the Core system or the HDD system? Is having the HDD compulsory in Xbox360-gaming? And also, how's the graphics quality in these consoles, especially Bioshock?

A trip to Sunway Pyramid's console shop reveals that the Core system is about RM1580. Worth a buy?

And also, I love FPS games, and is there a way to connect a keyboard + mouse and a computer screen so that I can play it on the table? :haha:

2. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

For FPSs, stick with PC. Especially if ur a KB & Mouse guy. The transition to controller is REAL hard if ur already used to the other.

Graphics is decent. Features is nice. Reliability is a hit or miss.

I really really would not buy the version without the hard drive. You do need to save and store files sometimes. Plus you can download demos and stuff. No brainer IMO.

I think some games do require a hard drive. Not sure.

3. The_YongGrand

I see. But if Bioshock is really nicer than PC in Xbox, I'll really play on that Xbox instead - computer upgrades are getting more difficult every day. I'll maybe look into getting a simpler version with the smaller HDD drive. But I don't really want the wireless controller since if the KB/mouse adapter/controller improves, I don't mind plugging it in. :haha:

Anyway, what do you mean by "Reliability is a hit or miss"? Could it be poor stability in the machine, or those "3 blinking red lights" that are mentioned?

How about PS3? Are they behaving like Xbox since it is also a console?

4. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

@ the bolded text: What?!?!?! :? That is blasphemy!

Reliability is a known issue. If not why did MS allocated assloads of money for repairs alone this year (think seven figures in USD). Don't believe me? Ask our board member Bestia. :roll: He's on his 2nd (or was it third) unit already.

PS3 has had the lowest failure rate of any Playstation. Its rock solid. Game library is taking a while but games such as MGS4 and the new GT will shoot that up a bit.

You CANNOT play using KB & Mouse (a.k.a no in game support). It will work on IM though. :p

And to reiterate, playing shooters on fugging analog sticks while getting raped sideways f*cking sucks when you know you can be pwning b*tches and taking names with a keyboard and mouse.

Graphics wise: PC < XBOX any day, week, or year (well duh really).

Did i say it lacks DX10?

Also did I mention that games on the XBOX are usually more expensive then their PC counterparts (well console games in general - ~10 bucks more expensive then a PC counterpart)?

As for PC upgrades, you can get a decent graphics card for the same money. :p

Why did I buy a console? To play games that are console exclusive.

If the game comes on PC and console, guess which one I go and buy? :o

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  5. The_YongGrand

Sorry for my sheer ignorance - I really don't know much about the console world - they are having seperate lives y'see? :haha:

I heard of PS3 too, and it's doing much okay compared to Xbox.

And also, the bolded text means that the graphics in Xbox360 or PS3 is better than PC - is it true? Sorry for confusing you. :mrgreen:

edit: And also, it's difficult to play FPS using analog controller! Thanks for reminding me that though! :haha:

6. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

PC graphics have and always been more superior then consoles.

PS3 is okay. Graphics and features are real nice. Game library is not unfortunately (unlike the previous gen XBOX VS PS). Well, not yet that is. ;)

But yea, shooters on controllers suck. :p

Oh yea, I'm not trying to persuade you either way. I would never make your purchasing decisions for you. Just highlighting the pros and cons. :mrgreen:

And I so happen to own all three current consoles as well as a PC. :p

I have to say, I like the PS3 the best (for console - nothing beats the good ol' ever evolving PC - unlike stagnant console).

7. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I always prefer PC over console. But you don't have a choice when many games are console exclusives. I think it's just way too 'difficult' for normal humans to setup a PC capable of playing proper games.

I still think PC is capable of making better games than console, hardware is better, controller choices are wider (console doesn't support clutch on Logitech G25), even PC is capable of supporting the joypad.

8. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

get a wii dude.

9. The_YongGrand

I see - thanks for the guides. Wow, you own three consoles altogether - pretty good! Well, I will stick to PC as much as I want because I'm already used to the engine. Furthermore, if there's SDKs (software development kits) available, it'll be easier to be done on PC. :mrgreen: :thumb:

And also, not thinking of purchasing the consoles - just come to think about it. Some people said that the graphics in consoles are way better, or the graphics in PC are way better. Strange... :haha:

10. peaz

peaz ARP Webmaster Staff Member

Phok. Wii released in Singapore already? If there's a console that I'd get, it's the Wii :D

11. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

LOL! People who say that are probably comparing to the GF2/GF4 era. :lol:

Unless if its PS3 (modded 7900 series card in it).

Get a console of you have enough console exclusive games to justify buying it.

Wii is fun and all, but the 'gimmick' lasts only so long.

Lack of good graphics and good sound (lol only stereo sound and 480p - come on now!) will get to you pretty fast. A lack of 'seriously good' titles doesn't help either. I prefer to get other platforms (if there are any) anyways.

I only play Wii Sports and intend to maybe get Zelda and Paper Mario. Other then that.... :shifty:

12. ZuePhok

ZuePhok Just Started

months ago.

it's either Wii, or PSP Slim.

i bought the latter because i take train everyday :mrgreen:

ps: oh yeah, sony sent out press release in this afternoon announcing the availability of 40GB PS3. SGD599 :shock: :shock: :o expensive!

13. So, which Xbox suits me, the Core system or the HDD system? Is having the HDD compulsory in Xbox360-gaming? And also, how's the graphics quality in these consoles, especially Bioshock?

Go for the premium bundle and get the drive, it will come in handy when you want to download game demos for free instead of renting them or buying them. Free game demos make the hard-drive worth the extra cash now or later. Graphics on the PC are usually better, but with the Xbox you are guaranteed to be able to play a game on it's release date without having to spend $600+ to update your computer and work out video driver compatibility issues. I spent more on my video card to play doom 3 than it costs to buy an xbox 360 elite, that's when I said F! this computer gaming money pit.

I have the Core system, with a wired controller as a trade for something. I immediately went and got a hard drive and a wireless controller with the charger kit.

And also, I love FPS games, and is there a way to connect a keyboard + mouse and a computer screen so that I can play it on the table? :haha:[/QUOTE]

Yes, for both
    Keyboard and mouse with an external adapter made by another company. I bought one recently, but after playing FPS with the 360 controller for 2 years now I cannot go back. I am selling it on eBay soon since I have now converted :) > http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/xcm-xfps-xbox-360-keyboardmouse-adapter-in-action-223963.php

Monitor, you have the Pelican adapter to output to RGB or DIV. I personally have a DELL 24" with component input and use that for my gaming sessions.

14. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Yea, I saw that thing yesterday. Pretty dandy. But I doubt there will be any 'official' support from the MS Empire. But still, interesting none the less. :p

15. peaz

Yea, I get what you mean, but Wii for me isn't about gaming like XBox or PS3, it's more for family fun. thus those simple but fun games.

Hmmm, time to go and look for the Wii then :D how much is it anyway locally?

16. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

Which is limited to like what? 2 good games? TBH, I play wii sports the most and that came with the console. I have not been compelled really to get anything else. I will only probably buy paper mario and zelda and thats it for me. The rest of the games ride on the 'gimmick' far too much and not really have any solid gaming per se.

17. peaz

none of my parents and leian's parents are ever going to game on the xbox 360 or PS3. :D

Plus I hardly game anymore these days. Wii fits the bill for my current available time in my life now. Perhaps in the future when i have more time in my hands to actually make use of the consoles.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to get the 360 and the PS3... I just won't be using it as I should use it.

18. yhng

yhng Newbie

Being one that owns the PS3, X360 and Wii, I would say it really targets different users.

Wii is great for family oriented and parties. I think it's much easier to pick up than some of the games for the other 2 consoles. If you have friends over most of the time, the easiest games to pick up are those from the wii.

Unfortunately due to the lack of games for PS3, I tend to use it more as a bluray player than games atm. Build and look wise, it pawns the xbox360 anytime! Way more silent and bless region free games :) Hanging out for Haze and the upcoming games

As for the x360, only reason I own it is due to the amount of games for it. If you are thinking of getting it, just go with the premium console instead of the core console (without harddisk). In terms of reliability, let just say this is my 3rd console after M$ swapped the first 2 within the year.

With graphics itself, I think you have to consider the capabilities of the consoles and the game developers. Eg. for Fight Night 3, x360 seems to have better graphic compared with the PS3, even though PS3 should have better hardware to render the graphics. Really it's still a hit or miss. I choose my games based on content exclusivity and price mainly.

Some food for thought..

1 person likes this.
  19. PsYkHoTiK

PsYkHoTiK Admin nerd

The reason I got a 360 was for some of their exclusive games.

Namely Halo 3, Saints Row, GoW, and the upcoming fable 2.

Another tidbit for thought is that there is an alleged failure rate of 30+% for 360 consoles. All service centers are back logged too. When MS allocates 1B USD for xbox repairs (and they loose money in that division even with the amount of sales they have), you know there is a problem. :p My dumb dvd tray gets jammed (have to like nudge it a few times to get it to pop out) but I have not returned it for fear of getting one with another problem... :haha:

True that with the PS3. Very good build, great horsepower, subpar architecture (partly due to Sony being too rigid on it), so mine sees more time as a blu-ray disc player too. :p

Wii doesn't have too much eye candy but I have it only for a few games as well as family fun (like PWNing my dad on Tennis).

20. wiiz

wiiz Just Started

what about PS2? yeah it's an old machine but sold pretty cheap right now. and there are gazillions title readily available...:mrgreen: