Zalman VF700-Cu GPU Cooler Review Posted!

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles' started by Dashken, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Dashken

Dashken Administrator!

We have already taken a look at the new Zalman VF700-AlCu GPU cooler. Silent cooling and better performance was what it delivered. But can we get more out of its unique flower heatsink design?

Today, we take a look at the full-copper version - the Zalman VF700-Cu GPU cooler! Let's see how much better it is over the hybrid AlCu!

[​IMG]

Link : Zalman VF700-Cu GPU Cooler Review!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  2. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

Good review, much impressed by the revised testing methodology. A very good step in the right direction.

Would like to see a direct review against the Zalman XM80D-HP & say some of the other 3rd party heatsinks, like the AC Arctic Silencer Rev3, ATI Silencer, CM Coolviva etc etc....

3. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

nice review. i dont quite understand why using delta result not the actual gpu temp? :think: btw, 4clcius different from the alcu. not that much.

4. zy

zy zynine.com Staff Member

using delta results..

delta means difference..

so basically they are testing when its idle & load..
    the lower the delta .. the better it is .. :p

5. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

Testing ZM80D-HP is going to be PITA, because of the installation complexity, and it will probably vary to much to even consider a good test. I've mentioned that in the review. So I didn't bother testing that.

If I have the other coolers in hand, why not? ;) :mrgreen: But testing coolers can be time consuming, but I will try. :)

6. Chai

We are actually worried about the test results being hard to analyse. :D Yup, zy has explained it. GPU temp doesn't mean a thing if the ambient temperature (or case temperature is high).

We will try to make it easier to understand in future articles. ;)

7. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

A step in the right direction.

I concur with the new method being better.

To make it really good I'd like an even better description of the computer used, including case and case cooling.
    Also a table presenting
    - room temperature near the case air inlet. (Standard thermometer.)
    - temperature at the GPU fan intake. (Temp probe.)
    - temperature at the CPU fan intake. (Temp probe.)
    - GPU temp. (Native graphics card measurement.)
    - CPU temp. (Native motherboard measurement.)

With these data one could see what effect the various VGA coolers have on the general cooling of the computer. Improved cooling of the graphics card might lead to a warmer CPU if the same air is used to cool both or if the airflow past the CPU fan is reduced.

A conclusion/suggestion in a review might be:
    "By all means; if you want a silent and cool GPU use this cooler, but consider improving your CPU cooling or case ventilation to tackle the warmer air."

Cheers
    Olle

8. Chai

I'm not sure if I want to measure the CPU temperature since this is a GPU cooler review. Other than Arctic Silencer coolers, all other coolers shouldn't change the case temperature, CPU temperature because the ammount of heat dissipated from the graphics card SHOULD be the same despite using different coolers, unless of course you have a theory to prove me wrong? :think:

9. siddiq

siddiq Newbie

ok. thx for explanation.

10. yay, new zalman cooler! the ease of install would probably make me get it over the 80-d cooler

11. Darko

Darko Newbie

Hi all, this being my first post I felt compelled to offer some suggestions concerning the Zalman VF700-Cu review.

The release of the Zalman VF700-Cu has been much anticipated and I would dare say that most people would want to see a review of the Zalman VF700-Cu with the obvious contender, the Arctic Cooling Silencer.

To be completely honest, ANY after market cooler would do a better job than the stock 9800 HSF.

I'm sure also that many if not most readers would rather see and better understand the actual card temp differences when comparing coolers, rather than the temp difference between the GPU and case.

I appreciate that it takes a great deal of time and effort to put a review together and hope that you can take on board the suggestions from the average readers perspective.

12. Chai

That is completely true. Almost any after market coolers are better. But I can easily find one that's worse than stock cooler. :p

Why do you want to see the card temperature when my ambient temperature is so much higher and fairly inconsistent? If I show GPU temperature alone and the ambient temperature keeps swinging up and down, what's the point of comparing then?

Yup, the obvious contender is Arctic Cooling Silencer series, but I don't have one for testing at the moment. I will consider adding it in the future. :)

As for showing the GPU temperature in future articles, I will consider, but I think this method is the way to go, people should learn to understand delta results better because the temperature results from each cooler are directly comparable with the other coolers. ;)

13. Olle P

Olle P Newbie

You're absolutely correct about the heat dissipation being equal no matter what cooler is used.
    What differs is the impact they have on the airflow, which in turn decides the actual temperature in different parts of the cabinet. (The airflow is in no way homogenious throughout the cabinet and the temperature vary a lot between different locations.)
    Thus can a different VGA cooler result in more/less warmer/cooler air passing the CPU.

See for example this (stock) cooler:
    [​IMG]
    It obviously blows most of the heated air back to the front of the cabinet.
    The VF700 on the other hand is more likely to blow most of the heated air off to the side of the graphics card.

If you have an ordinary computer with a graphics card like the one on the image above and replace the cooler with a VF700 it's likely to have an impact on the CPU temperature since the airflow moves in other directions.

Cheers
    Olle

14. Chai

I know about the impact a graphics card cooler would do to CPU cooling, but my objective here is to test the cooler's performance, not CPU. ;) If you start considering all the factors that the cooler would do to the rest of the system, it will never end. Measuring CPU, HDD, RAM temperature and measuring the motherboard, CPU RAM overclockability? I think that's really beyond the main topic. ;)

Don't forget, different cases will certainly affect the temperature! I didn't close the case and I don't have any case fans. In fact, I don't even have CPU fan! (water cooling)

What if I use Lian Li V1000 with rotated motherboard tray? What if the case I'm using has a fan inlet directly blowing on the card? Or what if I test the cooler in open air without a case? Hope you understand there's no point in testing CPU temp.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  15. Darko

Darko Newbie

I understand your reasoning and it may be a more "scientific" way of testing however, most readers can relate to the actual GPU temp difference, it's simpler to understand and it's how they compare it at home.
    My suggestion was to show both the GPU and ambient temp, rather than GPU only.

As for ambient temp. fluctuations, testing in an airconditioned room kept at a constant temperature would reduce any fluctuations to a minimum wouldn't it?

Since there isn't a review (at least not in English) comparing the two, I look forward to it.

You may be right but as I stated before it's too confusing and doesn't provide a clear and simple result that most readers are looking for.

16. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

The readers will have to learn to read these newer more accurate results. Why ? Because its done for the readers sake. To give them accurate reviews such that they can make informed buying decisions.

And even in an air-donned room, there are localised temperature fluctuations, its a common misconception that if you switch your aircon to a certain temp, your whole room will stay at that temp.

17. Darko

Darko Newbie

Fair enough, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, who am I to suggest how you should conduct your reviews.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my friendly suggestions.

18. Sin22

Sin22 Newbie

No worries mate, just another point to add abt the presentation of results in the form of temperature deltas.

Most of the trusted websites which give reliable and trusted reviews on heatsinks/waterblocks(Procooling, O/cers, PCPerspective,FrostyTech) present their results in the form of either temperature deltas or C/W ratings, degC per watt which in itself is a temperature delta vs the known wattage of a particular CPU/testbed.

As such its a step in the right direction that ARP has gone along that route.

19. Chai

GPU temp is still pointless. How many out there owns the same card as I do? What sort of comparison can they make even if I posted GPU temp? :D

We are always open for suggestions and comments, there's no right or wrong. :D We have to make compromises. ;)

20. maybe you could add max oc results? this is what some sites do.