New Vista 64 install Advice Please.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jeffdbodean, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jeffdbodean

jeffdbodean Official BOG Supporter!

Hi All, I am brand new here so let me just say hi to everyone first off. I would like to get some opinions as to the best way for me to install and utilize my various hardware for Vista 64 installation. I will be using my new rig for Digital Photography Workflow, mainly using PhotoShop CS4 and Nikon Capture NX2. I will be printing with an Epson Stylus Pro 3800.

I will list my hardware below for this new rig and just basicly would like your thoughts for configuring where I should put my OS, Programs, Windows Paging File, Photoshop Swap File, User Files, Working Image Files from a Nikon D300, Nikon D700, any other files that should be placed on seperate disks- partitions. If you will please help guide me to what would have to be better than what I could do without your help I will really appreciate it. I need to get a grip on how to configure my files for back-up as well as performance. I have had a few suggestions from some folks but I would like some more ideas from those who will probably know this far better than me. Thanks,

MOBO: ASUS M2N32 SLI DELUXE WIRELESS ED.

CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W

Graphics: BFG 8800 GTS 640mb X 2 (Can run in SLI if needed)

Memory 8Gb: Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664AA80A High Performance, Two Dual Channel Kits

Memory Option 2 8Gb: Crucial CT2KIT25664AA800 Two Dual Channel Kits, If these would be a better way to go for stabillity, I am not sure but can use either set.

HDD'S X 5 Totol:

HDD X 2: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

HDD X 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 250-GB Hard Drives

HDD X 1: WD1800JB 180GB Special Edition EIDE Drive A spare that I had from a rig I tore down, but it is in great shape.

Of course I also have my media drives and will be using my 24" Gateway LCD calibrated with a Spyder 3 Elite.

Please give me something to chew on, something that has been tried and trued. I would also listen to just an idea that maybe you haven't tried but is logical. I am not the best at configuring the OS System for maximum performance is why I need your help.

Thansk so much,
    jeffdbodean:wave:

2. Chai

Chai Administrator Staff Member

I just bought a WD Velociraptor 300GB to handle all my Photoshop CS4 and Capture NX2. I didn't do anything specific, just partition the 300GB into 2 halves. All program files, page files, Photoshop swap files into the first half.

If you haven't buy this system, why not consider Intel C2D or C2Q (but C2D would be enough since there's no software support for 4 cores)?

3. Motoman

Motoman Newbie

There's not a lot of magic to it. The PS swap file ought to go on your fastest non-OS drive. Putting the Windows swap file on a fast non-OS drive is not likely to make a noticeable difference...but since you have 5 drives, go for it.

If it were me, well, first of all I wouldn't put 5 drives in a single box...but if it were me, I would create RAID 1 arrays of the 2 sets of identical drives...use the smaller array/drives for the OS partition, and the larger array/drives for data and your swap file. I would probably only use the extra drive to store a backup image of the OS drive (and of course, feel free to occasionally make a backup image of your data drive).

Lately I've been using Macrium Reflect for backup/recovery. There's a good free version, and doing a backup/recovery to another local hard drive, like you'd be doing, is very simple. I recommend the BartPE option for their boot disk (although I believe you'd have to create it on an XP machine insted of Vista). But feel free to use other tools as well - Ghost, Acronis, etc.

4. jeffdbodean

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have indeed already gotten most of my hardware.

jeffdbodean

5. jeffdbodean

Hi Motoman, I've heard that putting the PS Swap file on a seprerate drive is a good thing, even PS website suggest this also. Interesting configuration you have offered up and I will be taking this under advisement as well. I wish to thank you and Chai for both of your post to my question.

Thanks Guy's,

jeffdbodean

6. Adrian Wong

Adrian Wong Da Boss Staff Member

Since you have five HDDs, you can do this...

Drive 1 - Windows OS

Drive 2 and 3 - Windows Paging File

Drive 4 and 5 - Photoshop Swap File

You can set both Windows and Photoshop to use multiple HDDs for their paging needs.

More important than the paging file is actually the memory capacity. Use as much RAM as you can, but unless you are loading many, many large photos... 8 GB is good enough.